Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-699857 said: Anyone can buy flood insurance from several sources, but the insurance agencies have ...
(Quote) Brian-699857 said:

Anyone can buy flood insurance from several sources, but the insurance agencies have really hiked the policy premiums over the past 20 years because of the recurring number of claims from people living in high risk zones. I remember 2001 which was a very active hurricane season and the insurance companies started doubling their flood insurance rates because of the number of claims. It's terribly unfortunate, but too many people either never reviewed their old policies over the years, or there were those who just decided to roll the dice to keep the lower premiums. It's a mixed bag.

--hide--

I am in a flood zone because of the chance of Tsunamis. However according to the seismologists there is an extremely small chance of that ever happening where I am along the coast. If it got that bad, believe me we wouldn't be rebuilding because California would be in the ocean lol. Because of my mortgage company I am required to carry flood insurance. It has doubled and keeps going up. I feel that I am paying for the people that want to live in areas where it is a yearly problem and don't bother taking flood insurance. I pay over $850 a year with no personal property replacement. I am taking the least amount of coverage I can get away with. The mismanagement is very frustrating. They compensate by raising the insurance premiums throughout the country.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: I don't know the answer to that question. Media reports at the time stated tha...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

I don't know the answer to that question.

Media reports at the time stated that the Corps of Army Engineers had been asking for funds for many years, through both liberal and Conservative administrations, to improve them. The reports also indicated that when they were built, they were not what the Corps had planned to do.

Whether that meant or implied that the work was inferior was never really spelled out.

We need to consider the fact that the area is hurricane prone and what was there adequately served the need for a long time through many hurricanes. The human tendency is to say, if it works don't waste time and money trying to make it better. No matter how well you may build things like that, sooner or later, nature will throw something at it that it was never built to stand.

--hide--

Paul, they said the World Trade Center was not built properly because it did not stand up to the attacks on 9/11.

Well, I don't think too many buildings are built to stand up to a jet fuel fire of that magnitude.

Haven't you heard that about the Trade Center being improperly or poorly built?

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: I am in a flood zone because of the chance of Tsunamis. However according to the seismolog...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

I am in a flood zone because of the chance of Tsunamis. However according to the seismologists there is an extremely small chance of that ever happening where I am along the coast. If it got that bad, believe me we wouldn't be rebuilding because California would be in the ocean lol. Because of my mortgage company I am required to carry flood insurance. It has doubled and keeps going up. I feel that I am paying for the people that want to live in areas where it is a yearly problem and don't bother taking flood insurance. I pay over $850 a year with no personal property replacement. I am taking the least amount of coverage I can get away with. The mismanagement is very frustrating. They compensate by raising the insurance premiums throughout the country.

--hide--

What does the $850 cover? Anything?

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I don't think those outside of the tri-state area of NY, NJ and Ct have any idea of all th...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I don't think those outside of the tri-state area of NY, NJ and Ct have any idea of all the people that were
displaced by the storm. These are low income people who lived in the many high rises along the Rockaway
beaches. Then there are the mostly civil servants who lived in other areas along the beach near
the Rockaways. These small single family homes have all been devastated.

The larger homes you see in the pictures are homes that have been in families for hundreds of years
and made larger by each generation who took them over. They are inhabitable.

Whole neighborhoods are inhabitable.

They really need the money. There will be a lot of reconstruction, and that will give many
people jobs, I hope. I am not sure why private insurance does not cover the losses unless it
is because it was an act of God and the insurance will not cover it.

The media does not even talk about this terrible disaster anymore.

And I hope Governor Christie and the other Governors break down the money by project for the US Government.
That way their request will be taken more seriously.

--hide--

It is so very sad. I didn't realize how bad the situation still is. Like you said if the media doesn't shine a light on it, it just goes out of peoples heads. It is like when a loved when dies, a person gets much attention. Then in the aftermath, they are left to struggle on alone.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Is it just because he thanked President Obama for coming to NJ after Hurricane Sandy?<...

Is it just because he thanked President Obama for coming to NJ after Hurricane Sandy?

--hide--
I don't know if he will be able to redeem himself by 2016 in the eyes of the "my way or the highway" types in the GOP. I hope he can. I still like him, Jindal or Paul for the next round.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: What does the $850 cover? Anything?

What does the $850 cover? Anything?

--hide--

The building, very basic. Coverage limit is 211,600 with a $2000 deductible. It also has to cover the same amount that my homeowners insurance requires(which is much cheaper and with personal property coverage etc.), so when that goes up so does the flood insurance premiums. It is based on what the homeowners insurance company feels would be the cost to rebuild the structure. Of course, now, it is all computer generalized. The only way out is to pay off my home and then I can decide what I want to cover... You should see how much the insurance companies want for earthquake insurance! You can't even get it without a $25,000 deductible. I have a much greater chance of losing my home that way, but can't even afford the coverage and it's not mandatory.

Mar 17th 2013 new

Yea for Chris Christie trying to get whatever he needs to rebuild NJ. Still....why so many people didn't have flood ins? scratchchin

I bought my home in 2000 In upstate N.Y.. ...in the mountains and about 5 or 6 city blocks from the river..and had to get flood ins because of the zoning and the type of. mortgage. Long story short....I have lost the entire house to flooding...2006 AND 2011 (hurricane Irene). I say.....buy flood ins. weeping Homeowners won't cover even water in basement. Ps...haven't rebuilt again

We should all pray Chris finds his way to good health. I'm not a conservative ( please don't send me hate mail sorry) but I like Chris. He's a leader...get it done type. That's what we need now in my opinion.

Blessing

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Paul, they said the World Trade Center was not built properly because it did not stand...

Paul, they said the World Trade Center was not built properly because it did not stand up to the attacks on 9/11.

Well, I don't think too many buildings are built to stand up to a jet fuel fire of that magnitude.

Haven't you heard that about the Trade Center being improperly or poorly built?

--hide--

Just remember, Monday morning Quarterbacks are always 100% correct.

I was involved in a minor fender Bender a week ago. The accident was completely avoidable if I had not gone to Church that night and was not on the same street that the women was on who pulled out of her illegal parking spot to clip me. Or if I had a V8 engine under the hood, I might have been able to floor it and get up enough speed to avoid the impact.

Now if the Architects and building engineers had only known some madman, bent on killing themselves would fly some planes into the building, they might have been able to build it to withstand that kind of crash.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-940526 said: Yea for Chris Christie trying to get whatever he needs to rebuild NJ. Still....why so many people...
(Quote) Susan-940526 said:

Yea for Chris Christie trying to get whatever he needs to rebuild NJ. Still....why so many people didn't have flood ins?

I bought my home in 2000 In upstate N.Y.. ...in the mountains and about 5 or 6 city blocks from the river..and had to get flood ins because of the zoning and the type of. mortgage. Long story short....I have lost the entire house to flooding...2006 AND 2011 (hurricane Irene). I say.....buy flood ins. Homeowners won't cover even water in basement. Ps...haven't rebuilt again

We should all pray Chris finds his way to good health. I'm not a conservative ( please don't send me hate mail ) but I like Chris. He's a leader...get it done type. That's what we need now in my opinion.

Blessing

--hide--

Oh Susan, I am so sorry for your loss! Were you able to get money from FEMA so you can move on?

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: Oh Susan, I am so sorry for your loss! Were you able to get money from FEMA so you can...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

Oh Susan, I am so sorry for your loss! Were you able to get money from FEMA so you can move on?

--hide--

Luckily I had the flood ins both times. This time I took a settlement. I still own the place. Can't sell it but its paid for wink

Posts 21 - 30 of 62