Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Hi, Catholic Match Family!

I read this new article from CM and thought it'd be good to share. You may not be into reading through an entire article, but even if you just browse through it you'll see some great tips, in my opinion, on being completely open and honest--in all relationships (romantic or otherwise). But, particularly if you are living the SINGLE life and striving for a Godly relationship. As someone who strives for honesty and truly feels that it is key to a successful relationship with anyone--friend, family member, significant other, etc.--I think this is an EXCELLENT article! God bless! :)

www.catholicmatch.com

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Hi, Catholic Match Family! I read this new article from CM and thought it'...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:

I read this new article from CM and thought it'd be good to share. You may not be into reading through an entire article, but even if you just browse through it you'll see some great tips, in my opinion, on being completely open and honest--in all relationships (romantic or otherwise). But, particularly if you are living the SINGLE life and striving for a Godly relationship. As someone who strives for honesty and truly feels that it is key to a successful relationship with anyone--friend, family member, significant other, etc.--I think this is an EXCELLENT article! God bless! :)

www.catholicmatch.com

--hide--

Tiffiany,

I read this article yesterday and agree that it is crucial that two people enter a relationship (any relationship) completely open and honest. If a person is not adult enough to act in this manner they should think twice before tampering with another's emotions. Especially for the sake of an ego boost at the expense of another!

theheart

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Eloise-899090 said: Tiffiany,I read this article yesterday and agree that it is crucial that two peo...
(Quote) Eloise-899090 said:

Tiffiany,

I read this article yesterday and agree that it is crucial that two people enter a relationship (any relationship) completely open and honest. If a person is not adult enough to act in this manner they should think twice before tampering with another's emotions. Especially for the sake of an ego boost at the expense of another!

--hide--

Could not have said it better Eloise (love the name btw)! People--both men and women--need to realize that we are all emotional beings--even men are and there is NO EXCUSE for toying with someone's emotions.

Mar 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Hi, Catholic Match Family! I read this new article from CM and thought it...

www.catholicmatch.com

--hide--

Great article. I have a question though, can you be too honest to soon? And by that revealing too much too soon.
Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrew-560653 said: Great article. I have a question though, can you be too honest to soon? And by that revealing t...
(Quote) Andrew-560653 said:

Great article. I have a question though, can you be too honest to soon? And by that revealing too much too soon.
--hide--

Andrew,

I think you bring up a valid point. It would have to depend upon a) what sort of things you are revealing "too soon" and b) how comfortable the person you are communicating with is with the truth. As far as myself personally, and what I have learned from both men and women, the truth is always a good place to start. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to reveal everything about yourself to someone right away; however, asking straight-forward and direct questions are a great way to get to know where a person you are interested in romantically stands. Furthermore, if you are asked straight-forward and direct questions, honesty is always the best policy. There are always certain ways to ask these types of questions in a gentle fashion and if one does not feel comfortable discussing them then they can always opt to discuss them later. Take care!

Tiffiany

Mar 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: (Quote) Andrew-560653 said: Great article. I have a question though, can you be too ...

Quote:
Andrew-560653 said:

Andrew,

I think you bring up a valid point. It would have to depend upon a) what sort of things you are revealing "too soon" and b) how comfortable the person you are communicating with is with the truth. As far as myself personally, and what I have learned from both men and women, the truth is always a good place to start. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to reveal everything about yourself to someone right away; however, asking straight-forward and direct questions are a great way to get to know where a person you are interested in romantically stands. Furthermore, if you are asked straight-forward and direct questions, honesty is always the best policy. There are always certain ways to ask these types of questions in a gentle fashion and if one does not feel comfortable discussing them then they can always opt to discuss them later. Take care!

Tiffiany

--hide--
That was a tough question posed, my last boyfriend told me he had an affair during his marriage. By the fifth month of dating, that turned into several affairs (and he doesn't know why he did it), and he shared that he had a fragile ego....diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder. Now I wish that was stated early on....there would not have been a second date. But that's not something you share early on, right? So, in the meantime, you fall in love only to find out that narcissists cannot ever love anyone but themselves. They only use you for their ego supply. Some things just need to be stated early on, no matter how horrific!
Mar 17th 2013 new

Not bad.

But I think it's important to remember that:

- many things that are true are best left unsaid (I hate your mother's pot roast. You put the baby's diaper on backwards.)

- many things -- like the Chinese food example -- are petty. You can't eat Chinese once, to please someone who loves it?

You have to ask yourself, "What GOOD will result from my telling him/her this?" Oftentimes, there is no good, only hurt.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Not bad. But I think it's important to remember that: - many things that are...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Not bad.

But I think it's important to remember that:

- many things that are true are best left unsaid (I hate your mother's pot roast. You put the baby's diaper on backwards.)

- many things -- like the Chinese food example -- are petty. You can't eat Chinese once, to please someone who loves it?

You have to ask yourself, "What GOOD will result from my telling him/her this?" Oftentimes, there is no good, only hurt.

--hide--

Well it just depends. Personally, you can be truthful while at the same time being tactful. And, often times, who you are truthful to (or how you speak the truth) depends on the person, time, place, etc. However, I do not feel that if you don't like Chinese food that you should act like you do, particularly if a guy is asking you to go out for Chinese on the first date. It is how you get to TRULY know one another and learn about each other's likes and dislikes. Although something such as what food you like/dislike can be trivial, it can also lead to really knowing more about that person. Sometimes the little things matter.

I will agree with you 110% on asking yourself "What good will result from telling him/her this?" However, sometimes you need to tell the truth even if it is not good. Not everyone agrees with this obviously, but it is my own personal opinion. For instance, telling your spouse that you have had an affair may not lead to something "good." The non-cheating spouse will likely feel sad, depressed, angry, anad a host of other emotions and may even ask for a separation or divorce. However, the non-cheating spouse does deserve to know the truth and such an incident may actually strengthen a marriage--for instance, once the couple seeks counseling, grows together closer to God, etc. then their marriage may be stronger than ever before (I have know a few couples who have faced a similar situation).

In my personal opinion, may do not tell the truth or keep from being honest in may instances where it is necessary because they a) are fearful of how it will affect their relationship with the other person and b) they are just too chicken to speak up. Both circumstances are fully understandable; however, many times when people reveal the truth or become a little more honest it is a cathartic event and can actually deepend a relationship (romantic or otherwise).

Mar 17th 2013 new

Tiffany,

Hello fellow Texan and more so Houstonian.

My son who is your age and his girlfriend went to the rodeo to see George Strait. I hear the rodeo will have set record crowds this year - over 2 million.

Now to your thread. I feel this way - if you don't want my true answer, don't ask me the question.

Blessings young lady, Praying hug rose

Leon

Mar 17th 2013 new

[quote]Marge-938695 said: Not bad. But I think it's important to remember that:..."

Well said, Marge. My hero.

Posts 1 - 10 of 15