Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 17th 2013 new

Nah. I've been using computers for 40+ years (started in an ASR-33 teletype) and I still type with two fingers (and thumbs for the space bar).

None the less, I was one of the fastest typists in my HS typing class despite using only two fingers. The teacher was amazed!

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: In answering the OP's question of why the keys are in that order - my understanding is when we...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

In answering the OP's question of why the keys are in that order - my understanding is when we start with our 5th finger on the "a" on the second row from the bottom and our 5th finger on the "'" (apostrophe) is because those are the most frequent letters used and as such, it is easier to reach the other keys. That is my understanding but I have been wrong before - many times.

--hide--

Youm perhaps unknowingly, answered the question in the previous paragraph of your response: it's to help keep the hammers from jamming

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Nah. I've been using computers for 40+ years (started in an ASR-33 teletype) and I still type ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Nah. I've been using computers for 40+ years (started in an ASR-33 teletype) and I still type with two fingers (and thumbs for the space bar).

None the less, I was one of the fastest typists in my HS typing class despite using only two fingers. The teacher was amazed!

--hide--

I have an easier time typing on a desktop than typing on this laptop. Drives me nuts. I really can spell! And like Jerry I tend to use three or four letters but I have to see the keyboard as well.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: In answering the OP's question of why the key...

Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

In answering the OP's question of why the keys are in that order - my understanding is when we start with our 5th finger on the "a" on the second row from the bottom and our 5th finger on the "'" (apostrophe) is because those are the most frequent letters used and as such, it is easier to reach the other keys. That is my understanding but I have been wrong before - many times.

Youm perhaps unknowingly, answered the question in the previous paragraph of your response: it's to help keep the hammers from jamming

--hide--

Jerry,

Thank you sir. It was probably knowingly but at times dementia seems to take over my psyche.

Do not ever get my age. laughing

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Mar 17th 2013 new

Victoria, I also have a learning disablilty but took a home course in high school, typing tutor, and practiced practiced practiced...several hours a day and eventually got up to 60 words/minutes. it is worth the effort. hang in there! Gone Fishing!

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Victoria-691000 said: I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or ...
(Quote) Victoria-691000 said:

I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or another. As I type this I am trying not to look at the keys, but it is difficult. I have a basic idea where the letter keys are, but the shift key and punctuation keys are driving me nuts!! Just typing this (the correct way, not looking at keys)took a long time. And, ok, I cheated and looked...otherwise this would take me all day. People have been telling me the only way to learn is to not look at the keys. And I haven't even gotten to the number keys yet. And on a computer of course, there are the functions keys also.....

I am trying to get some practice in before this class starts. When I type CORRECTLY, my speed SLOWS DOWN.(maybe 8 WPM) When I look at the keys, my speed GOES UP. (maybe 15-20)

So what happens if a co-worker needs something typed up by, say, 3 o'clock that day, and you have other things that need to get done the same day? I probably would pound the thing out while looking at the keys so that I would get it done ON TIME and WITHOUT MISTAKES. If I typed the document while not looking at the keys, it would take me all day!!

Having a learning disability doesn't help either.

It drives me crazy when I keep being one key off, too. Were people drunk when they developed the typing keyboard? Why aren't the letters in alphabetical order? And the punctuation symbols...some are grouped together, some aren't. Am I the only one on the planet with this problem? Any pointers? Thanks!

--hide--
The arrangement of the letters on the keyboard is assigned to theories for the most part. Supposedly the letters were arranged to the extent feasible on the basis of usage. The less frequently used letters were placed in positions that are more awkward. Also, there were bars connected to original typewriters. To avoid interference, the element of more common usage of letters was developed. It was realized even then that a perfect arrangement couldn't be made but the inventer (Sholes) did the best he could at the time.

Fortunately the lettering has remained the same, even on computers. Imagine trying to use both on the same day -- each with a different arrangement. There is another lettering arrangement but it is not in common use, fortunately.

So much for the history lesson.

As for the actual typing, Miss Spelling is not aloud hear.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Nah. I've been using computers for 40+ years (started in an ASR-33 teletype) and I still type ...

--hide--
So you're not all thumbs???? scratchchin

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Victoria-691000 said: I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or ...
(Quote) Victoria-691000 said:

I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or another. As I type this I am trying not to look at the keys, but it is difficult. I have a basic idea where the letter keys are, but the shift key and punctuation keys are driving me nuts!! Just typing this (the correct way, not looking at keys)took a long time. And, ok, I cheated and looked...otherwise this would take me all day. People have been telling me the only way to learn is to not look at the keys. And I haven't even gotten to the number keys yet. And on a computer of course, there are the functions keys also.....

I am trying to get some practice in before this class starts. When I type CORRECTLY, my speed SLOWS DOWN.(maybe 8 WPM) When I look at the keys, my speed GOES UP. (maybe 15-20)

So what happens if a co-worker needs something typed up by, say, 3 o'clock that day, and you have other things that need to get done the same day? I probably would pound the thing out while looking at the keys so that I would get it done ON TIME and WITHOUT MISTAKES. If I typed the document while not looking at the keys, it would take me all day!!

Having a learning disability doesn't help either.

It drives me crazy when I keep being one key off, too. Were people drunk when they developed the typing keyboard? Why aren't the letters in alphabetical order? And the punctuation symbols...some are grouped together, some aren't. Am I the only one on the planet with this problem? Any pointers? Thanks!

--hide--

Victoria, there are many free typing games available on-line. Games will make learning the keys more entertaining and it will also help improve speed. Unfortunately all the touch pad devices promote hunt and peck typing. I took one semester of typing in high school reached my maximum speed and have never went beyond the 40wpm.

Mar 17th 2013 new

Did anyone learn to type to the song "Sweet Georgia Brown"? note hyper note

Mar 17th 2013 new

I think I learned to start typing in late elementry school, we had this typing game that they had us do during our LRC time. So it made typing fun but of course whenever the teacher wasn't looking our way many of us would quickly glance at the keyboard to see where the letters are. I definatley remember taking a keyboarding class in middle school because they had this big fat computers that sat on top of the big box thing that took the floppy disks. I remember our teacher putting a cardboard thing over the keyboard so when we looked down we couldn't see the keyboard laughing .

I am thankful though for getting the chance to take typing lessons at an early age, since it paid off when you entered high school and got research papers, reports, etc that needed to be typed up. I remember making tons of mistakes when I was first learning but it was a wonderful feeling once I finally knew how to type. I still find that I do make some mistakes (spell check is awesome) but not as much as I did when I was younger. I do type pretty fast but not as fast as some people.

It makes me wonder if my dads and grandfather's generation every took a typing class because both of them peck the keyboard. scratchchin

Posts 11 - 20 of 36