Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

03/18/2013 new
(Quote) Victoria-691000 said: I am going to be taking typing
(Quote) Victoria-691000 said:

I am going to be taking typing

--hide--
I do suggest finding out why things are the way they are- when I remember that there are locators on the index keys I can usually find them by touch(no peeking) to contradict other poster- no the most common keys are not the ones under your fingers, and someone made up the explanation of the keys being placed illogically they are where they are for several fairly good reasons, and simple practice is not best way to get up to speed, read the book!(Oh and I cannot type as well as I used to which was never very well in the first place)
03/18/2013 new

I learned to type in high school (1979), on an electric typewriter. I was always slow on a typewriter because it was such a pain if I made a mistake. I was saved by computers.... and the very handy backspace key. With a backspace key, I can force myself to type quickly without looking at the keys. It has made a world of difference over the years.

Ed

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I remember our teacher putting a cardboard thing over the keyboard so when we looked down we co...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

I remember our teacher putting a cardboard thing over the keyboard so when we looked down we couldn't see the keyboard .

--hide--

Many years ago I had a coworker (computer programmer) who was well known for his rapid typing speed. Once when he was on vacation several others decided to play a trick on his and rearrange the keys on his keyboard. All were disappointed when it took him several weeks to notice the change because he never looked at the keyboard.

03/18/2013 new

Hi Victoria!! Hugs lol. . .and nope you are not the only one. I took typing in high school and it was a disaster. Then I took it again later at a vocational school -- still a disaster. We switched to computers at work and I had to use the keyboard. Then I got a word processor, then a home computer and somewhere along the line it all fell into place. I rarely look at the keys, but if its dark and I can't see the keyboard I panic lol. So I keep a light on at all times and do pretty well. Now my trouble occurs when I use a different computer at the lab or work that has a different keyboard (same layout for the keys) but different types of keys or one of the ones we have is ergonomic so its all cattywampus. The best advice I can give you, is to just use it a lot. I am sure I am not following the strict protocol that Sister tried to teach me lol but I manage to get it done and as you can see I am wordy so I've gotten pretty fast along the way. :-) You can do it!!!!!!

03/18/2013 new

[quote]Naomi-698107 said:

I learnt at school, and it was hard. I have poor hand-eye co-ordination, memory and I'm dyslexic too boot, so obviously I kept looking, which of course frustrated my teacher, so she covered my hands with a bib. Much to my embarrassment and the amusment of my class mates.

End of the year, I had hit 80 words a minute, they were still on 30.

Its the best skill I've ever picked up, especially since on a good day I can hit 120, and all without looking! You can get there! If I can do it, anyone can!

Naomi:
You are so smart and modest...thanks for sharing.

03/18/2013 new

Not only do I have trouble typing. In fact, I don't know how to use the computer at all. Look what I did when I tried to replay to Naomi's quote?weeping shhh rolling eyes laughing

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Victoria-691000 said: I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or ...

I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or another. As I type this I am trying not to look at the keys, but it is difficult. I have a basic idea where the letter keys are, but the shift key and punctuation keys are driving me nuts!! Just typing this (the correct way, not looking at keys)took a long time. And, ok, I cheated and looked...otherwise this would take me all day. People have been telling me the only way to learn is to not look at the keys. And I haven't even gotten to the number keys yet. And on a computer of course, there are the functions keys also.....

I am trying to get some practice in before this class starts. When I type CORRECTLY, my speed SLOWS DOWN.(maybe 8 WPM) When I look at the keys, my speed GOES UP. (maybe 15-20)

So what happens if a co-worker needs something typed up by, say, 3 o'clock that day, and you have other things that need to get done the same day? I probably would pound the thing out while looking at the keys so that I would get it done ON TIME and WITHOUT MISTAKES. If I typed the document while not looking at the keys, it would take me all day!!

Having a learning disability doesn't help either.

It drives me crazy when I keep being one key off, too. Were people drunk when they developed the typing keyboard? Why aren't the letters in alphabetical order? And the punctuation symbols...some are grouped together, some aren't. Am I the only one on the planet with this problem? Any pointers? Thanks!

--hide--
Type righter, typewriter! Just before he passed away 32 years ago, my father, who had numerous patents, was trying to redesign the standard keyboard to a more logical layout. This link explains better than I can why the Dvorak keyboard layout was changed to the QWERTY layout we use now. Dad theorized typing would be a lot easier if QWERTY was replaced by something more logical.

03/18/2013 new
I took typing in high school and then secretarial school so learned the only way allowed -- without looking. Now I am slowed down when I look at the keys. My son thought covering the keyboard in HS was dumb when he learned keyboarding until he finished the 3 weeks covered up. He Is pretty fast now. Not looking and doing drills is the only way.
03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Victoria-691000 said: I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or ...

I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or another. As I type this I am trying not to look at the keys, but it is difficult. I have a basic idea where the letter keys are, but the shift key and punctuation keys are driving me nuts!! Just typing this (the correct way, not looking at keys)took a long time. And, ok, I cheated and looked...otherwise this would take me all day. People have been telling me the only way to learn is to not look at the keys. And I haven't even gotten to the number keys yet. And on a computer of course, there are the functions keys also.....

I am trying to get some practice in before this class starts. When I type CORRECTLY, my speed SLOWS DOWN.(maybe 8 WPM) When I look at the keys, my speed GOES UP. (maybe 15-20)

So what happens if a co-worker needs something typed up by, say, 3 o'clock that day, and you have other things that need to get done the same day? I probably would pound the thing out while looking at the keys so that I would get it done ON TIME and WITHOUT MISTAKES. If I typed the document while not looking at the keys, it would take me all day!!

Having a learning disability doesn't help either.

Hi, I'm a technology teacher and actually teach keyboarding! There are plenty of on-line typing tutorials if you don't feel like purchasing a "drill book" which was good advice. True, you need to take about an hour consistently each day, but you will learn a very practical skill...akin to the practicality of driving a car. Think letter for letter as you type, keep your fingers curved over home row, and always have as many fingers as is possible comfortably in home row. For the difficult keys like the "c", just rest your "f" and train your "d" reach to curl down to the "c" key. To type the enter, anchor just the "j" key. To type the "x" anchor just the f. To type the "b", anchor just the a...the rest are very doable. Don't beat yourself up...don't bother correcting errors, just move on. Look up a keyboard chart on-line and color it if you have to and prop it up behind the top row of numbers. I always tell my students, you didn't read in a day, or swim in a day...take it easy and just have fun with it. I loved those classes---so much so that God lead me to be a teacher. Love it! Let me know if you need more pointers. Jeannie

It drives me crazy when I keep being one key off, too. Were people drunk when they developed the typing keyboard? Why aren't the letters in alphabetical order? And the punctuation symbols...some are grouped together, some aren't. Am I the only one on the planet with this problem? Any pointers? Thanks!

--hide--

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Type righter, typewriter! Just before he passed away 32 years ago, my father, who had numerous pa...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Type righter, typewriter! Just before he passed away 32 years ago, my father, who had numerous patents, was trying to redesign the standard keyboard to a more logical layout. This link explains better than I can why the Dvorak keyboard layout was changed to the QWERTY layout we use now. Dad theorized typing would be a lot easier if QWERTY was replaced by something more logical.

--hide--
Sorry, forgot the link: computer.howstuffworks.com

Posts 21 - 30 of 36