Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Victoria-691000 said: I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or ...
(Quote) Victoria-691000 said:

I am going to be taking typing at a local college soon. I have taken it before in one form or another. As I type this I am trying not to look at the keys, but it is difficult. I have a basic idea where the letter keys are, but the shift key and punctuation keys are driving me nuts!! Just typing this (the correct way, not looking at keys)took a long time. And, ok, I cheated and looked...otherwise this would take me all day. People have been telling me the only way to learn is to not look at the keys. And I haven't even gotten to the number keys yet. And on a computer of course, there are the functions keys also.....

I am trying to get some practice in before this class starts. When I type CORRECTLY, my speed SLOWS DOWN.(maybe 8 WPM) When I look at the keys, my speed GOES UP. (maybe 15-20)

So what happens if a co-worker needs something typed up by, say, 3 o'clock that day, and you have other things that need to get done the same day? I probably would pound the thing out while looking at the keys so that I would get it done ON TIME and WITHOUT MISTAKES. If I typed the document while not looking at the keys, it would take me all day!!

Having a learning disability doesn't help either.

It drives me crazy when I keep being one key off, too. Were people drunk when they developed the typing keyboard? Why aren't the letters in alphabetical order? And the punctuation symbols...some are grouped together, some aren't. Am I the only one on the planet with this problem? Any pointers? Thanks!

--hide--

I understand that there are video games where you can learn how to type while having fun.

As for myself, I could not imagine typing with less than ten fingers; simple things like posting comments would take far too long to be worthwhile.

Mar 18th 2013 new
No fine motor control in mt left hand, so hunt and peck only here. I was once told there was a one handed system set up? Dragon is the latest Speech to Text software. Pretty good I hear.
Mar 18th 2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Many years ago I had a coworker (computer programmer) who was well known for his rapid typing sp...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Many years ago I had a coworker (computer programmer) who was well known for his rapid typing speed. Once when he was on vacation several others decided to play a trick on his and rearrange the keys on his keyboard. All were disappointed when it took him several weeks to notice the change because he never looked at the keyboard.

--hide--

crazy people rolling eyes
Mar 20th 2013 new

Thanks for all the support and suggestions!! The links are helpful.....I am also working on some typing tutorials that my vocational rehab counselor sent me. My typing class starts right after Easter. Will try to get as much practice in before it starts so I won't fall behind. Thanks again!!! cookie cool goldfish

Mar 20th 2013 new

I do not think you should practice your typing before your class. I think you should enjoy Easter and go along to your typing class and be taught properly how to type. Once you can type properly, no matter how slowly, with all your fingers on the keyboard in the right places then practice.

Mar 21st 2013 new

I started typing in high school. For the first year we had manual typewriters. After that we used electric. My daughter was in first grade when she started to learn to type at home, with the computer. It was Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. By the time she had to take 'keyboarding' (no more typing in school), she was 90 plus wpm. She was the best typist in the class. I credit it all to Mavis. smile

Posts 31 - 36 of 36