Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: Some think that we can have a civil and charitable conversation about the important issue of chastity...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

Some think that we can have a civil and charitable conversation about the important issue of chastity in this room. I said I would put something up and see if that is indeed possible!

So, what is your best piece of advice to an adult trying to live a chaste and pure life?

"More souls go to Hell because of sins of the flesh than for any other reason. " --Our Lady to the children at Fatima

How can we as adult (not teenaged) Catholics help ourselves to save our souls from the sins of impurity?

I will go first:

Wear on your person a blessed sacramental at all times. The miraculous medal, the brown scapular, a crucifix (not a cross, a crucifix). Wear it always, not taking it off for anything. There is grace and power in sacramentals, and it is a physical reminder of to Whom you belong, and Who has given you this body, and Who dwells within you.

If you are tempted, you will have to, as an act of your will, physiclaly remove this sacramental if you are to proceed with whatever you were going to do. It will be a physical sign that you are separating yourself from God, that you are doing it willingly, with full knowledge. That's enough to give you pause and a chance to change your mind.

--hide--

One has to pray the Rosary. The importance of praying the Rosary to avoid sin and the near occasions of sin cannot be overstated.

This is the third of the fifteen promises the Blessed Mother gave St. Dominic regarding the Rosary:

3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.

Mar 19th 2013 new

All of you have given great advice on this subject - WOW! The Mass, Rosary, Brown Scapular, as well as the Way of the Cross attended, prayed, or worn daily are great ways of keeping thoughts from straying. Additionally, keeping away from tv shows, magazines and company that could tempt towards unchaste thoughts is additionally essential. Also, when you're with a person that you're really attracted to, keep it in a public place, don't stay in a vehicle with each other for more than the ride to and from your destination (if you want to talk, get out of the car and walk), don't ever be in each other's homes/apartments alone together, and if the temptation is strong, by all means, bring a chaperone (I have brothers, so this is easy ^_^), or go on double dates!

Mar 19th 2013 new

Really good ideas from so many sources--I like the one about wearing a cross or a scapular. And the power of the confessional--talking it over with a priest who can speak to the issue & not condemn you for your thoughts, inclinations. Praying to the Holy Spirit for His conviction can strengthen your resolve if you are prone to temptation.

Mar 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Carol-737878 said: Really good ideas from so many sources--I like the one about wearing a cross or a scapular. And t...
(Quote) Carol-737878 said:

Really good ideas from so many sources--I like the one about wearing a cross or a scapular. And the power of the confessional--talking it over with a priest who can speak to the issue & not condemn you for your thoughts, inclinations. Praying to the Holy Spirit for His conviction can strengthen your resolve if you are prone to temptation.

--hide--

I wear a scapular to sleep. I've had a few fall apart on me because I guess they detach when I'm sleeping. lol Thankfully, they're inexpensive. I just bought one about a week ago, and it "broke" a day or two later. sad

Mar 19th 2013 new

This is a great post with great advice. I think over focusing on sex is unhealthy too. I see some serious catholic couples talking and trying so hard to avoid sexual sin they end up breaking up. I really think focusing on what's worth more than giving into sin is key. I had a friend in AA tell me he couldn't stop till he realized his family was worth more than his addiction... So I'd say as a couple its growing to find a reason to want to stay pure more.

Mar 19th 2013 new

I'll keep it simple.

Above ALL things, Prayer is the key. Whether it's vocal or meditative, any form of prayer is extremely powerful against your vices.

The other key is to not put yourself in bad situations. I know this first hand. You can have all the faith in the world but if you put yourself in a bad position with someone you are really attracted to, you are making it very hard on yourself.

Sometimes the game is won or lost before the first whistle. Do everything you can to set yourself up for victory before it's too late. biggrin

Mar 19th 2013 new

It is a very good suggestion to wear a blessed sacramental at all times. While it is always very important to guard one’s soul, it may be a particular challenge if the chemistry is strong, and the two people are in love, engaged and approaching marriage, but have not exchanged vows yet.

In situations where the temptation is not that serious, but nevertheless present, one can always avert their eyes. Staring at the ring finger on one’s own left hand may remind you either of what you have or what you are seeking, so that you are not distracted from your objective of seeking Holy Matrimony or so that you do not betray vows already exchanged.

Mar 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: It is a very good suggestion to wear a blessed sacramental at all times. While it is always very...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

It is a very good suggestion to wear a blessed sacramental at all times. While it is always very important to guard one’s soul, it may be a particular challenge if the chemistry is strong, and the two people are in love, engaged and approaching marriage, but have not exchanged vows yet.

In situations where the temptation is not that serious, but nevertheless present, one can always avert their eyes. Staring at the ring finger on one’s own left hand may remind you either of what you have or what you are seeking, so that you are not distracted from your objective of seeking Holy Matrimony or so that you do not betray vows already exchanged.

--hide--

I think that all the suggestions have been great. I find the rosary has been something very helpful in this area. If one meditates on the mysteries- it tends to reorient one's mind.

Mar 19th 2013 new

wave Hi Tara:

Wanted to suggest Roman Catholic Sacramentals or Rose Scapular for well-made Scapulars that last for years! They're a tad more $$$ (somewhere between $6-$7 each, but well worth it!).

Mar 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernadette-874299 said: Hi Tara: Wanted to suggest Roman Catholic Sacramentals or Rose Scapular for well-ma...
(Quote) Bernadette-874299 said:

Hi Tara:

Wanted to suggest Roman Catholic Sacramentals or Rose Scapular for well-made Scapulars that last for years! They're a tad more $$$ (somewhere between $6-$7 each, but well worth it!).

--hide--

Thanks, Bernadette! That's very well worth it. The cheap ones that are breaking are around $3, so I'd pay $20 at this point to get one that will cooperate with me. I wake up and have to look for where it disappeared to. I'm beginning to have a collection of these. lol

Posts 21 - 30 of 200