Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Mar 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: That is truly a sad and scary thought. But I say that anyone who is not your spouse or y...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

That is truly a sad and scary thought. But I say that anyone who is not your spouse or your child asking you for money is a no no and would be an immediate stop sign for me. I had an old lady in my bank almost get truly scammed by a young man on facebook but thankfully I caught it. My recommendation is that if anyone asks you for money who is in a romantic situation with you you should ask them to ask one of their guy friends or girlfriends even if they say it is an emergency. It does not matter how long you have known them. Seems hard and harsh but having seen first hand what some of these money scams are, it is necessary.

Now this is a very reasonable caution and an example of being prudent.

--hide--

Absolutely, and I would add, don't "help" them set up paypal accounts or anything else like that as well -- offers a back door to your information. If they are stranded in a foreign country direct them to the embassy there. If they are "in" the military they always have access to their funds, if they have children - they are well cared for BEFORE they deploy - nothing is left to chance, etc.

My first experience was a man who was supposedly deployed had one son who was being raised by his great uncle. Child began complaining of stomach pain. . .supposedly diagnosed with an appendicitis but they needed $1500 before they would do the operation. Huge flags here: a military child would be covered under his father's insurance for one, also an appendicitis is usually an emergency surgery and would have been taken care of first and payment worried about after. He didn't ask me for the full amount just $350. I told him I would be happy to take care of that just give me his son's full name and the hospital. I would call the billing office and have it taken care of right then. . .of course I knew he was fibbing all over the place and he became adament that I just wire the money to his uncle, etc etc etc. I refused and said I would be happy to help but could only do it as I had offered. He tried to make me feel bad for putting his poor child through needless suffering etc. I told him by now if he did have an appendicitis he would be in real trouble. He tried a few other tactics but I held firm and of course he disappeared :-).

Mar 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Kate-806727 said: I am known in my circle of family and friends to be able to find just about anything on the intern...
(Quote) Kate-806727 said:

I am known in my circle of family and friends to be able to find just about anything on the internet. I even helped a friend track down her kid's dead beat dad. As part of my last job, I always google searched potential employees and was amazed at what you could find. Now that I am job searching, I google myself regularly to make sure I know what potential employers and others are seeing about me.

I have the same concerns as Kate when it comes to protecting my son. In this day and age, I think that Google searching someone you meet on-line, just kind of seems natural, especially for women. People are usually on their best behavior when you are first getting to know them. I have met people who have FB "likes" that I find rather offensive or who in their pictures are acting in ways I do not find attractive. I have even met somone that used his wedding picture as his profile picture! There was a story on the news not too long ago about a woman that was raped by someone she met on a christian dating site. You just never know who you are meeting. I'd rather appologize to someone for "invading their privacy" by google searching them than get myself into a situation that I regret.

--hide--
clap Yes I will go for the wedding photo as a profile photo duck was that a dating site?

Mar 20th 2013 new

clap clap

Mar 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Absolutely, and I would add, don't "help" them set up paypal accounts or ...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Absolutely, and I would add, don't "help" them set up paypal accounts or anything else like that as well -- offers a back door to your information. If they are stranded in a foreign country direct them to the embassy there. If they are "in" the military they always have access to their funds, if they have children - they are well cared for BEFORE they deploy - nothing is left to chance, etc.

My first experience was a man who was supposedly deployed had one son who was being raised by his great uncle. Child began complaining of stomach pain. . .supposedly diagnosed with an appendicitis but they needed $1500 before they would do the operation. Huge flags here: a military child would be covered under his father's insurance for one, also an appendicitis is usually an emergency surgery and would have been taken care of first and payment worried about after. He didn't ask me for the full amount just $350. I told him I would be happy to take care of that just give me his son's full name and the hospital. I would call the billing office and have it taken care of right then. . .of course I knew he was fibbing all over the place and he became adament that I just wire the money to his uncle, etc etc etc. I refused and said I would be happy to help but could only do it as I had offered. He tried to make me feel bad for putting his poor child through needless suffering etc. I told him by now if he did have an appendicitis he would be in real trouble. He tried a few other tactics but I held firm and of course he disappeared :-).

--hide--
You go girl! clap

Posts 81 - 84 of 84