Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

He's a very nice, friendly man and seems to be traditional and full of love forGodand man, but...
--he has an unsettling way of speaking!! He speaks superfast, then brief pause, then superfast! like:
"Blessedareyou...LordGodofallcreation...forthroughyourgoodnesswehavereceivedthebreadweofferyou...
fruitoftheearthandworkofhumanhands...itwillbecomeforusthebreadoflife"
I'm just so used to our very reverent usual priest who says each prayer deliberately and reverently so each part is emphasized and slow enough that we really 'hear' it and 'feel' it's meaning.
And sometimes he speaks so quickly he leaves out syllables, like "graciously" comes out "gracely" every time.
He actually speaks so fast that our daily Mass, which usually goes 35+ minutes long for the 20-35 people who come, lasts only 22 minutes!! He even sings fast, for those few bits that are sung in daily Mass.
Please pray for our whole church to accept him and be blessed by him.

Do you find it difficult to adjust to new priests? How does your church react to 'the new guy' leading your church every few years?

Mar 20th 2013 new

Maybe this fellow is used to saying Mass just for himself -- or in a place where every minute counts. (My husband swore he'd heard Mass done - in Latin - in less than 15 minutes in Viet Nam.)

Slightly off-topic but perhaps of use...
I was at a resort once where the entertainment included an act consisting of two Englishmen who played the piano (four hands on the same keyboard). They had a lot of jokes and funny patter -- but between their accents and their rate of speaking, most people, as we walked out of the theatre, admitted that they only understood about half of what was said.
My sister and I happened to recognize the guys at lunch. We went over, told them we'd enjoyed the show...but pointed out that we Americans (who have so many accents among us) needed time to absorb theirs. We layered this with lots of compliments, btw.
We saw the show again a few nights later -- and understood every word, and had a great time.

Mar 21st 2013 new

Just be thankful that you actually have a priest. Some parishes in western Oklahoma have circuit rider priests that only say mass once on Sunday.

Mar 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Brett-848238 said: Just be thankful that you actually have a priest. Some parishes in western Oklahoma have circuit rider priests ...
(Quote) Brett-848238 said:

Just be thankful that you actually have a priest. Some parishes in western Oklahoma have circuit rider priests that only say mass once on Sunday.

--hide--

That is all over rural Oklshoma
Mar 21st 2013 new
You have my prayers for your new pastor.
Mar 21st 2013 new

Just go up to him, hand him a box of donuts and say, "Good sermon, Father. But -- duuuuude, you've got to slow down!!!"

Mar 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Just go up to him, hand him a box of donuts and say, "Good sermon, Father. But -- duuuuude, ...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Just go up to him, hand him a box of donuts and say, "Good sermon, Father. But -- duuuuude, you've got to slow down!!!"

--hide--

Er... Are you sure it's a good idea to give sugar to someone you want to slow down? scratchchin laughing laughing

Mar 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: He's a very nice, friendly man and seems to be traditional and full of love forGodand man, b...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

He's a very nice, friendly man and seems to be traditional and full of love forGodand man, but...
--he has an unsettling way of speaking!! He speaks superfast, then brief pause, then superfast! like:
"Blessedareyou...LordGodofallcreation...forthroughyourgoodnesswehavereceivedthebreadweofferyou...
fruitoftheearthandworkofhumanhands...itwillbecomeforusthebreadoflife"
I'm just so used to our very reverent usual priest who says each prayer deliberately and reverently so each part is emphasized and slow enough that we really 'hear' it and 'feel' it's meaning.
And sometimes he speaks so quickly he leaves out syllables, like "graciously" comes out "gracely" every time.
He actually speaks so fast that our daily Mass, which usually goes 35+ minutes long for the 20-35 people who come, lasts only 22 minutes!! He even sings fast, for those few bits that are sung in daily Mass.
Please pray for our whole church to accept him and be blessed by him.

Do you find it difficult to adjust to new priests? How does your church react to 'the new guy' leading your church every few years?

--hide--
Rachel -- How does he speak outside of Mass? Does he talk in the same manner? If not, he may have picked up his habits elsewhere for some unknown reason (time or circumstances limitations??).

Do you feel comfortable with approaching him personally about this? Sometimes that's the best way. If you don't want to do this, you could speak to a parish council member. These issues are often discussed at council meetings, and where possible, efforts are made to resolve the problem.

Our own cluster parish has an assistant pastor who came from India. Great priest -- well accepted and liked. But, the common complaint is that much of what he says (particularly in homilies) isn't understood. Father is aware of the problem, and is doing his best. It will take time though. But on the plus side, it keeps people ultra-attentive when he is speaking. That is the parish reaction to the "new guy". He is truly well liked though and we are fortunate to have him with us.

Just the opposite occured some years back. A new pastor was assigned, and in his first homily, he said he didn't want to be assigned to the parish, but was there because he was told it was his assignment. With the attitude he portrayed, the council petitioned the Archdiocese to have him reassigned. BTW, the pastor sat in on a council meeting (or part of one) and indicated he was not about to work with the group.

All priests need prayers -- to help with situations as yours, and to help strengthen their feelings about being priests. The scandal has affected all of them in some way or another. They are human and need our support and prayers.

Mar 21st 2013 new

He doesn't speak like this outside of Mass.
He is here to 'bring our parish back together, to encourage forgiveness for past hurts in our church, to firmly bring us back into line' (to stop council members and lay groups from thinking they should be in charge) -- I don't think I can go through them. And I'm not sure how it would go if I approach him -- he is on the lookout for 'trouble-makers' as it is and might lable me as one if I say a thing!

Mar 21st 2013 new

To me it is always the favored priests that get reassigned but I have come to the conclusion after my grandparents parish lost Father Jazdzewski (who had been with Sacred Heart for more than 10 years) that in a way it is sad to see the beloved priests go but it is a nice feeling that another parish will get to experience the charity and kindness of this priest. So somewhere out there in the Diocese of La Crosse Father Jazdzewski is serving other fathers. He is still missed.

I know the feeling of hearing a priest speed through the prayers because I have sat through a church service where it seemed like the priest was in a hurry, one could barely even have enough time to reverently take in the prayers. I will remember to say a prayer for your new priest.

Posts 1 - 10 of 41