Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

My teens use different words for their relationships than my generation did 'back in the day' and I'm never sure how to term relationships anymore! boggled
For me, 'dating' was not exclusive or regular -- you got asked out on a date and that was called dating -- you could go out w/ Bob thisweek and Tom next and Bob and Ryan the next -- you went to a movie or a party or dinner, but it wasn't especially an on-going relationship..
Until he asked you to 'go steady' or wear his class ring or in college we exchanged fraternity/sorority t-shirts to show exclusivity, which eventually was to lead to engagement and then marriage. lovestruck!
My kids say 'going out' and 'dating' are already exclusive and they don't have a term for casually being asked places -- they just say 'I'm going with Joe to a movie' and even if they have been doing some activity (movie, dinner, hanging out together at his or her home) every weekend for a few months, they don't call that dating unless they agree to be exclusive. rolling eyes
Is anyone else confused by terms for relationships like me? surprised
What relationship terms do you use? cool
How do you 'know' what to call what your relationship is now or where it is going? scratchchin
Maybe I'm silly, but it's confusing and I'm interested in how others feel and deal with this. wave

Mar 22nd 2013 new

No, Rach - not silly at all. I see it like you do and we did back in the "olden" days.

Mar 22nd 2013 new
Not silly and not easy.
Mar 22nd 2013 new
Not silly and not easy.
Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: My teens use different words for their relationships than my generation did 'back in the day...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

My teens use different words for their relationships than my generation did 'back in the day' and I'm never sure how to term relationships anymore!
For me, 'dating' was not exclusive or regular -- you got asked out on a date and that was called dating -- you could go out w/ Bob thisweek and Tom next and Bob and Ryan the next -- you went to a movie or a party or dinner, but it wasn't especially an on-going relationship..
Until he asked you to 'go steady' or wear his class ring or in college we exchanged fraternity/sorority t-shirts to show exclusivity, which eventually was to lead to engagement and then marriage.
My kids say 'going out' and 'dating' are already exclusive and they don't have a term for casually being asked places -- they just say 'I'm going with Joe to a movie' and even if they have been doing some activity (movie, dinner, hanging out together at his or her home) every weekend for a few months, they don't call that dating unless they agree to be exclusive.
Is anyone else confused by terms for relationships like me?
What relationship terms do you use?
How do you 'know' what to call what your relationship is now or where it is going?
Maybe I'm silly, but it's confusing and I'm interested in how others feel and deal with this.

--hide--
Yeah those terms meant so much.

Seems to be lots of ambiguity these days as to the commitment level ,or is it that I'm so accustom to the old ways.

Oh another new one I've heard is "dealing" scratchchin rolling eyes

Posts 1 - 5 of 5