Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Mar 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: 1. Go.2. Treat it as a casual get-together with someone new. He is YOUR guinea-pig, to see if...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

1. Go.
2. Treat it as a casual get-together with someone new. He is YOUR guinea-pig, to see if you are ready to date yet. (I suspect that you aren't.)
3. Don't discuss "where do we go from here?" or "You're not Catholic." It's irrelevant. You're going to the movies, that's all.
4. If you met him on a non-Catholic site and he's giving you the "You're so pretty" business -- be prepared to smack him down.
5. Keep it real.
6. Guard your heart.
7. Don't put up with any crap.

--hide--

It's so nice to see how supportive everyone is on this site. It's like the angels swooping in to protect us. Marge, you got it all straight. D

Mar 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Carol-737878 said: Cynthia, I'm thinking you have the jitters because it's the first time in 35 years! This ...
(Quote) Carol-737878 said:

Cynthia, I'm thinking you have the jitters because it's the first time in 35 years! This is not easy!!!

The general advice to anyone beginning to see someone who is virtually a stranger is that a movie is not a good 1st date choice (see the sensible post by the gentleman here) and that you should not be in a car alone with this "stranger" this early on. If you're feeling uncomfortable because of his comments, it could be for a variety of reasons, but we are constantly told to follow our gut instinct.

I hope it's not too late to change your plans. I would not totally cancel, but say you have a Plan B which is to meet him for coffee or a sandwich at a nearby popular restaurant--Panera's, for example. Then when you are with him, listen & watch carefully for any signs that would verify or deny any of these concerns you're having. Please be careful, but do try to enjoy yourself.

--hide--

This is where I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that a 'date' is only for an evening dinner or a movie.. One of the nicest 'dates' I had was to meet for a late lunch.. We were having such a great time talking that we were still sitting there at dinner time, so he asked me if I'd like to eat dinner at a very nice restaurant that sat across the parking lot.. During dinner he suggested going to a movie and we did. I say, meet for lunch, but keep the afternoon open for other activities should they come up.

Mar 21st 2013 new

I agree 100% go with your gut if you feel nervious it's normal but the pushness is not good on the first date. Just be friendly and drive yourself and a movie is fine just be upfront with him about what you want and not want if asked and what this is etc. The you are so pretty stuff is nice but repeated stuff about that is a little creepy and be careful sounds like he wants something more than a friend to a movie. be safe and have fun

Mar 22nd 2013 new

Cynthia,
I hope you will inform us how your date went. I'm sure we've all been praying for you.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

Sorry I didn't let you all know how it went sooner. It's been one of those days.

I met him at the theater. Almost as soon as we sat down, he said he would like it if I was to be his girlfriend. I told him no. That was moving way to fast for me and I'd like to be friends a little while first. He said that was okay with him. We relaxed and enjoyed the movie. We went for coffee after and I found out more about him and his history and definitely realized that we were not a love connection and never would be. He tried to kiss me and I told him no.

All in all, it was an interesting experience and I'm kind of glad it happened. I got my toe in the water and realized that I am ready to date but only with the right person. I'm going to stick with practicing Catholics (if I can find any in Virginia!) and not be in a hurry. I spoke with my late husband's sister today and she said that she knew Dan didn't want me to be alone and he's probably looking for just the right guy for me. I wouldn't be surprised if she was right!

You have all been so supportive and wonderful. Like living, breathing guardian angels. May God bless each one of you and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

Cynthia,

Thanks for the update. You were certainly correct in setting your standards with this guy who seemed to be moving way too fast for the situation!

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said:This is where I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that a 'date' is only for a...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:
This is where I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that a 'date' is only for an evening dinner or a movie.. One of the nicest 'dates' I had was to meet for a late lunch.. We were having such a great time talking that we were still sitting there at dinner time, so he asked me if I'd like to eat dinner at a very nice restaurant that sat across the parking lot.. During dinner he suggested going to a movie and we did. I say, meet for lunch, but keep the afternoon open for other activities should they come up.

--hide--

If a date goes well, one should try to stretch a successful day out of it. Of course, a day for man is probably only 24.62 hours from east to west before the concentration begins to fade (if men, as reputed, come from Mars) while women (possibly because they like to talk a bit) seem to be able to carry on a bit longer (and orbiting backwards and in high heels too).

coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu

Mar 23rd 2013 new

Cynthia,

I am so glad you went to the date and took your own car, got to know a bit more about him and were able to set the boundaries you needed to feel more comfortable and realize he was not on your keeper list :-)). Way to go, I am so proud of you for going!! I know when and if I ever go on another one it will be almost that many years for me since I was out with anyone other than my Pete. And, I am also with you about feeling uncomfortable when someone keeps telling me how pretty I am, especially right off the bat. Big HUGS! I must be living vicariously through you, as I was reading the first set of posts I was anxious myself and realizing I had read them too late, then I got to your update and felt relieved and even a little happy :-)). Tell you what you date and I'll just continue to live vicariously through your stories :-))). Lauren

Mar 23rd 2013 new

I think you handled it perfectly! And, I'm glad you followed through and and got your feet wet. I pray for a blessing for you at your next experience.

Mar 24th 2013 new

How can one be certain on a first (or second?) date that it's not a "love connection"? I've only once met someone I would refuse to meet a second time.

Posts 11 - 20 of 23