Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Can Keys on a Laptop be fixed

Mar 22nd 2013 new

My dog jumped on my open laptop while trying to get to the TV. Now two of the keys came off, and
I can't get them back on.

I put them in place, but they don't lay flat, or work very well when I press on them.

Can I get them fixed or is my computer about done for it?

The laptop is a LENOVO.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: My dog jumped on my open laptop while trying to get to the TV. Now two of the keys came off, a...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

My dog jumped on my open laptop while trying to get to the TV. Now two of the keys came off, and

I put them in place, but they don't lay flat, or work very well when I press on them.

The laptop is a LENOVO.

--hide--

If you can't replace the individual keys, you can replace the entire keyboard. I wouldn't think it would be too expensive, but I've never shopped for one either.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

Marianne,

I broke the "F9" key on my older computer a couple of years ago. The tiny plastic linkage under the key broke and I was not able to repair it. The fortunate thing is that I never use the "F9" key.... so I didn't miss it.

My potential suggested fix for your keys.... You may need a computer technician for this, but perhaps the two broken keys can be carefully replaced with two other keys on your keyboard (of the same shape and size) that you don't use. I suppose that if you look at all the keys on your keyboard, you will find two of them that you never use. If it is possible to swap the keys, then you could simply use a small piece of masking tape and a permanent marker to write the new symbols on top of the swapped keys. If all this is possible, it may be a very inexpensive solution.

Ed

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: My dog jumped on my open laptop while trying to get to the TV. Now two of the keys came off, a...

The laptop is a LENOVO.

--hide--

You can get a USB keyboard for about $10 or so. Plug it in and use it in place of the laptop keyboard.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: If you can't replace the individual keys, you can replace the entire keyboard. I woul...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

If you can't replace the individual keys, you can replace the entire keyboard. I wouldn't think it would be too expensive, but I've never shopped for one either.

--hide--

John, it is a laptop though. It doesn't look like it would be easy to put a new one in. The darn "j" is one of the keys.
Thank you for your help.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Marianne, I broke the "F9" key on my older computer a couple of years ago. The t...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Marianne,

I broke the "F9" key on my older computer a couple of years ago. The tiny plastic linkage under the key broke and I was not able to repair it. The fortunate thing is that I never use the "F9" key.... so I didn't miss it.

My potential suggested fix for your keys.... You may need a computer technician for this, but perhaps the two broken keys can be carefully replaced with two other keys on your keyboard (of the same shape and size) that you don't use. I suppose that if you look at all the keys on your keyboard, you will find two of them that you never use. If it is possible to swap the keys, then you could simply use a small piece of masking tape and a permanent marker to write the new symbols on top of the swapped keys. If all this is possible, it may be a very inexpensive solution.

Ed

--hide--

Ed, tape is a good idea so I don't loose the keys. The keys aren't broken but came out and don't seem to snap back in.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: You can get a USB keyboard for about $10 or so. Plug it in and use it in place of the lap...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

You can get a USB keyboard for about $10 or so. Plug it in and use it in place of the laptop keyboard.

--hide--

Thank you Jerry. I am going to try the tape idea. Getting an additional keyboard would kind of defeat
the purpose of a laptop's convenience. But if more keys come out, I will have to do that.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: John, it is a laptop though. It doesn't look like it would be easy to put a new on...

John, it is a laptop though. It doesn't look like it would be easy to put a new one in. The darn "j" is one of the keys.
Thank you for your help.

--hide--

Replacing the keyboard on a laptop is only a moderate pain. I personally dislike the thought more than I should because if I'm pulling the keyboard off a laptop, I'm inevitably engaged in a more obnoxious process that involves trying to get to the motherboard to do something.

A lot depends on your self confidence and comfort level with doing such things. The easy solution if you can't get the key to stick and don't want to replace the whole keyboard is to do what Jerry said and just plug in a USB keyboard.

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: John, it is a laptop though. It doesn't look like it would be easy to put a new on...

Thank you for your help.

--hide--
As long as you didn't lose 'control.' laughing

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: Replacing the keyboard on a laptop is only a moderate pain. I personally dislike the thou...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

Replacing the keyboard on a laptop is only a moderate pain. I personally dislike the thought more than I should because if I'm pulling the keyboard off a laptop, I'm inevitably engaged in a more obnoxious process that involves trying to get to the motherboard to do something.

A lot depends on your self confidence and comfort level with doing such things. The easy solution if you can't get the key to stick and don't want to replace the whole keyboard is to do what Jerry said and just plug in a USB keyboard.

--hide--

You sound like you really know computers. I wish you lived closer.

Posts 1 - 10 of 20