Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

The way I see it, the injunction not to work on Sundays if possible would logically include making other people work for you in unnecessary secular pursuits. Ok, so try to avoid shopping on Sundays. Inconvenient at times, but not impossible. Now being single, I usually go to Church with my parents on Sundays. They like to go out to eat after Church and so do I, but I don't think I really should (see above). I have expressed my thoughts on the subject and my mother says if they went home, she would have to cook and that is work for her. I would hope hers is a labor of love while the restaurant's employee's are working for cash. Also, I love my mother and don't want to place any extra work on her shoulders if I can help it. I have thought of avoiding the meal, but that is skipping out on valuable family time on Sunday and being a wet blanket to boot. I have considered offering to make breakfast myself, but I am sure my mother would just feel obligated to cook instead then. I would like to hear debate on this.

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Luke-955053 said: The way I see it, the injunction not to work on Sundays if possible would logically include making...
(Quote) Luke-955053 said:

The way I see it, the injunction not to work on Sundays if possible would logically include making other people work for you in unnecessary secular pursuits. Ok, so try to avoid shopping on Sundays. Inconvenient at times, but not impossible. Now being single, I usually go to Church with my parents on Sundays. They like to go out to eat after Church and so do I, but I don't think I really should (see above). I have expressed my thoughts on the subject and my mother says if they went home, she would have to cook and that is work for her. I would hope hers is a labor of love while the restaurant's employee's are working for cash. Also, I love my mother and don't want to place any extra work on her shoulders if I can help it. I have thought of avoiding the meal, but that is skipping out on valuable family time on Sunday and being a wet blanket to boot. I have considered offering to make breakfast myself, but I am sure my mother would just feel obligated to cook instead then. I would like to hear debate on this.

--hide--
What if you went to a Jewish deli? scratchchin

Mar 24th 2013 new

Oooo, I wish there was a Jewish deli around. That would kick tuchus!

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Luke-955053 said: The way I see it, the injunction not to work on Sundays if possible would logically include making...

--hide--

You know, Luke, this reminds me of the Jewish Sabbath, especially an orthodox one.

I have Orthodox friends who observe the Sabbath. They have the same conundrum that you are explaining. The
way they do it, by being observant to the Old Testament, is they cannot use anything mechanical. And they
cannot use the results of anyone who is doing anything mechanical. They can prepare meals like making a
sandwich, but they cannot heat it up.

They have to walk to the Synagogue. I said "Why don't you hop into a car being driven by someone else."
And they can't do that because the other person is doing the driving.

Then when it comes to cooking or turning on the lights, they leave the lights on before the Sabbath starts, and
they put their water kettle with the gas very low for cooking, so they have hot water to use. In Israel, they cannot push
the button to take the elevator, so on the Sabbath, the elevator stops at every floor without anyone touching
the buttons. I think they call this the Sabbath elevator.

I am not sure you would use these standards though. They are just a point of reference for you.

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: What if you went to a Jewish deli?
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

What if you went to a Jewish deli?

--hide--

Great idea, Peter! clap Chelle

Mar 25th 2013 new

--hide--
Well, as Catholics we can go to church on Saturday instead of Sunday and honor that day instead when we have no choice but to work on a Sunday. God understands. At any rate, I would think that would apply to anyone else working on a Sunday too, so if we stop by at the store or gas station on the way home, I don't thinkg God would mind.

Mar 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Well, as Catholics we can go to church on Saturday instead of Sunday and honor that day instead ...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Well, as Catholics we can go to church on Saturday instead of Sunday and honor that day instead when we have no choice but to work on a Sunday. God understands. At any rate, I would think that would apply to anyone else working on a Sunday too, so if we stop by at the store or gas station on the way home, I don't thinkg God would mind.

--hide--
I do admire anyone though if they do that....like Chick-fil-la...so cool.

Mar 26th 2013 new

Interesting about leaving the (electric) lights on and using the (electric) elevator. What about the workers that must constantly manage the power stations to get the electricity to the homes. This requires power plant work staff working 24/7 to manage the continual changes in power demand. scratchchin A conundrum.

Ed

Mar 26th 2013 new

Personally, I think the point that you made of "making other people work for you in unnecessary secular pursuits" is not really an ethical issue (for you).

My reasoning.... Prior to, and independent of your decision to go to that restaurant, movie theater, store, etc., the person/s who will serve you have already made the decision/s to work on that Sunday because they either need or want to be paid for that day. It is their (ethical) decision to work (or not), and they would almost certainly not be taking the day off if you were to decide not to use their service. I think that the weight of the decision to have an employees work on a Sunday lies with the employee and the employer, not the patron.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

Mar 26th 2013 new

My personal standard of what to do on Sunday.... for instance if I should go to a store or not...

If it feels like work to me, then I try to avoid it on Sunday. If it seems enjoyable, then I don't have a problem with it. Same with gardening (for instance). If it seems like a job and work, then I avoid it on Sunday. If it seems enjoyable or relaxing, then I don't have a problem with it.

Ed

Posts 1 - 10 of 42