Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

That it became dark because an eclipse of the sun took place.

Palm Sunday the readings of the passion described the crucifixion, and I know I have listened and read this over and over, but this time the eclipse stood out as though I never heard this before.

I am now thinking about the eclipse and wouldn't that have something to do with time? How often do we have an eclipse? Is there any studies that were done about the timing and the eclipse that occurred at the time Jesus died on the cross? theheart
03/27/2013 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: That it became dark because an eclipse of the sun took place. Palm Sunday the readings of the pa...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: That it became dark because an eclipse of the sun took place.

Palm Sunday the readings of the passion described the crucifixion, and I know I have listened and read this over and over, but this time the eclipse stood out as though I never heard this before.

I am now thinking about the eclipse and wouldn't that have something to do with time? How often do we have an eclipse? Is there any studies that were done about the timing and the eclipse that occurred at the time Jesus died on the cross?
--hide--
Many people have written their thoughts and theories about the darkness at the time of the Crucifixion. Yet, it seems there's no absolute scientific or historic proof that this is what occurred. Prophecies referred to a period of darkness that would occur, adding to the supernatural beliefs. Also, the earth shook -- an indication of an earthquake. Coincidence? Not likely. Some theorists calculated that the position of the sun and the moon at that time could not have resulted in a natural eclipse. The red appearance of the moon adds another dimension to the events. Some theories would have it that it may have been dust blown into the air and with the way that the sun was still reflecting some light resulted in the reddish appearance of the moon.

I'm not aware of any modern day studies to advance eclipse theories one way or another, but I'm sure there are some out there -- somewhere. If it were indeed an eclipsee, it would appear it was not one that was about to occur naturally. The timing of all of these abnormal events along with the Crucifixion seems too much to be a coincidence.

03/27/2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Many people have written their thoughts and theories about the darkness at the time of the Crucifix...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Many people have written their thoughts and theories about the darkness at the time of the Crucifixion. Yet, it seems there's no absolute scientific or historic proof that this is what occurred. Prophecies referred to a period of darkness that would occur, adding to the supernatural beliefs. Also, the earth shook -- an indication of an earthquake. Coincidence? Not likely. Some theorists calculated that the position of the sun and the moon at that time could not have resulted in a natural eclipse. The red appearance of the moon adds another dimension to the events. Some theories would have it that it may have been dust blown into the air and with the way that the sun was still reflecting some light resulted in the reddish appearance of the moon.

I'm not aware of any modern day studies to advance eclipse theories one way or another, but I'm sure there are some out there -- somewhere. If it were indeed an eclipsee, it would appear it was not one that was about to occur naturally. The timing of all of these abnormal events along with the Crucifixion seems too much to be a coincidence.

--hide--
Forgot to add, have a blessed Easter, Cindy.

03/27/2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: The timing of all of these abnormal events along with the Crucifixion seems too much to be a coinci...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

The timing of all of these abnormal events along with the Crucifixion seems too much to be a coincidence.

--hide--

God may have specifically willed each of the events to occur outside their natural order. Or He may have designed the world and the laws of nature such that all of the events "coincidentally" occurred at just that time.

03/27/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: God may have specifically willed each of the events to occur outside their natural order....
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

God may have specifically willed each of the events to occur outside their natural order. Or He may have designed the world and the laws of nature such that all of the events "coincidentally" occurred at just that time.

--hide--
The general conclusion is that these events couldn't have occurred during the natural course of nature. It would have taken Divine intervention to make these events happen simultaneously. Your comments would lead us to the same conclusion.

03/27/2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: The general conclusion is that these events couldn't have occurred during the natural course of...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

The general conclusion is that these events couldn't have occurred during the natural course of nature. It would have taken Divine intervention to make these events happen simultaneously. Your comments would lead us to the same conclusion.

--hide--

Another possibility is that those reaching said conclusion are operating with more conviction than authority...

03/27/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Another possibility is that those reaching said conclusion are operating with more convic...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Another possibility is that those reaching said conclusion are operating with more conviction than authority...

--hide--
Yes -- that, too.

03/27/2013 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: That it became dark because an eclipse of the sun took place. Palm Sunday the readings of the pa...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: That it became dark because an eclipse of the sun took place.

I am now thinking about the eclipse and wouldn't that have something to do with time? How often do we have an eclipse? Is there any studies that were done about the timing and the eclipse that occurred at the time Jesus died on the cross?
--hide--

I want to contribute my findings onto this thread. Is there really an eclipse during Jesus' crucifixion? Is there scientific evidence this phenomenon (eclipse) had occured during that time? Check the links and read them and you be the judge. theheart

1) ‘According to the Christian synoptic gospels, on the day Jesus Christ was crucified, darkness covered the land for hours, an event which later came to be referred to as the "crucifixion eclipse". en.wikipedia.org

2) "It was now about the 6th hour, and darkness came over all the land until the 9th hour, the sun failing" (Luke 23:44-45)... Luke says that ‘the sun failed’ (‘tou heliou ekleipontos’).Helios = the Sun. Ekleipo =‘to fail, to come to an end.’… Luke in fact used a word that gave rise to our present word ECLIPSE… www.oxfordbiblechurch.co.uk

3) “The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood” (Joel 2:31; Acts 2:20) See paragraph 8. See also paragraph 6. www.scienceandapologetics.com

4) In Acts 2:20, Peter (quoting Joel 2:31) reports that the Moon would be turned to blood and the Sun would be turned to darkness “before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord”…… Sun had turned dark at the time of the crucifixion, from Mt. 27:45, Mk. 15:33 and Lk. 23:44…. Mt. 27:50-54 tells of an earthquake that happened at the very same time, the aftershocks of which were still occurring two days later (Mt. 28:1-2) Read sub-topics Astronomical Evidence and the Historical Evidence
homepage.ntlworld.com

5) St. Jerome Chronological Tablets(2) 202.2, 202.3 "In the fourth year of the 202nd Olympiad, there was an eclipse of the sun, greater than any which had occurred previously. At the sixth hour, the day became as dark as night, and the stars were visible in the sky. An earthquake in Bithynia destroyed many buildings in Nicaea." www.attalus.org

6) The Ad 33 Date Of The Crucifixion According To Phlegon, A Secular Greek Historian
www.freechristianteaching.org

7) The period of darkness was prophesied in Amos. In Amos 8:9 we read, "On that day, says the Lord God, I will make the Sun to go down at noon, and darken the Earth in broad daylight. I will turn your feasting into mourning, and all your songs into lamentations. " www.freechristianteaching.org

03/28/2013 new
(Quote) Lea-938919 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: That it became dark because an eclipse of the sun took place. ...
(Quote) Lea-938919 said:

Quote:
Cindy-534370 said: That it became dark because an eclipse of the sun took place.

I want to contribute my findings onto this thread. Is there really an eclipse during Jesus' crucifixion? Is there scientific evidence this phenomenon (eclipse) had occured during that time? Check the links and read them and you be the judge.

1) ‘According to the Christian synoptic gospels, on the day Jesus Christ was crucified, darkness covered the land for hours, an event which later came to be referred to as the "crucifixion eclipse". en.wikipedia.org

2) "It was now about the 6th hour, and darkness came over all the land until the 9th hour, the sun failing" (Luke 23:44-45)... Luke says that ‘the sun failed’ (‘tou heliou ekleipontos’).Helios = the Sun. Ekleipo =‘to fail, to come to an end.’… Luke in fact used a word that gave rise to our present word ECLIPSE… www.oxfordbiblechurch.co.uk

3) “The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood” (Joel 2:31; Acts 2:20) See paragraph 8. See also paragraph 6. www.scienceandapologetics.com

4) In Acts 2:20, Peter (quoting Joel 2:31) reports that the Moon would be turned to blood and the Sun would be turned to darkness “before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord”…… Sun had turned dark at the time of the crucifixion, from Mt. 27:45, Mk. 15:33 and Lk. 23:44…. Mt. 27:50-54 tells of an earthquake that happened at the very same time, the aftershocks of which were still occurring two days later (Mt. 28:1-2) Read sub-topics Astronomical Evidence and the Historical Evidence
homepage.ntlworld.com

5) St. Jerome Chronological Tablets(2) 202.2, 202.3 "In the fourth year of the 202nd Olympiad, there was an eclipse of the sun, greater than any which had occurred previously. At the sixth hour, the day became as dark as night, and the stars were visible in the sky. An earthquake in Bithynia destroyed many buildings in Nicaea." www.attalus.org

6) The Ad 33 Date Of The Crucifixion According To Phlegon, A Secular Greek Historian
www.freechristianteaching.org

7) The period of darkness was prophesied in Amos. In Amos 8:9 we read, "On that day, says the Lord God, I will make the Sun to go down at noon, and darken the Earth in broad daylight. I will turn your feasting into mourning, and all your songs into lamentations. " www.freechristianteaching.org

--hide--

Thank you Lea, for all these links of information. Truly appreciate them. The subject is still on my mind, for some reason that I am not sure of, but I will read all of this.

Gratis,

Cindy
04/02/2013 new

--hide--

It was not a natural eclipse; this would have been impossible at the time of a full moon (which it was). However, it is an historical fact that the sun was darkened.

St. John Chrysostom wrote, "The sun hid his rays that he might not behold the sufferings of his Maker."

Posts 1 - 10 of 14