Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

President Obama is quietly moving forward on gun control.

The president has used his executive powers to bolster the national background check system, jumpstart government research on the causes of gun violence and create a million-dollar ad campaign aimed at safe gun ownership.

thehill.com

Mar 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Denise-687929 said: President Obama is quietly moving forward on gun control. The president has used his exec...
(Quote) Denise-687929 said:

The president has used his executive powers to bolster the national background check system, jumpstart government research on the causes of gun violence and create a million-dollar ad campaign aimed at safe gun ownership.

thehill.com

--hide--

Govt "research"....sounds like an oxymoron to me...I can just imagine how false that will end up being.

Mar 30th 2013 new

Thank you Cheryl for your comments.

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Denise-687929 said: President Obama is quietly moving forward on gun control. The president has used his exec...
(Quote) Denise-687929 said:

thehill.com

--hide--
Please enlighten me what's wrong with these steps?

Mar 31st 2013 new

A National registry may prevent pain and loss of life. TOO many guns !!

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Please enlighten me what's wrong with these steps?
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

Please enlighten me what's wrong with these steps?

--hide--

The US Constitution is clear:

Amendment II: "A well regulated militia being necessary to the society of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

All citizens are considered to be members of the militia. Further, the writings of those who drafted and created the Constitution are equally clear. One of the reasons the 2nd Amendment exists is to make it possible for the people to protect themselves from the Government because they realized that all Governments tend to tyranny. Just human nature. The Constitution is primarily a document that attempts to limit Government power, because ultimately it is the people who control Government and not the other way around.

Rarely do non-Americans understand this concept and, unfortunately, because of the state of education today, few Americans do as well.

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: The US Constitution is clear: Amendment II: "A well regulated militia being n...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

The US Constitution is clear:

Amendment II: "A well regulated militia being necessary to the society of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

All citizens are considered to be members of the militia. Further, the writings of those who drafted and created the Constitution are equally clear. One of the reasons the 2nd Amendment exists is to make it possible for the people to protect themselves from the Government because they realized that all Governments tend to tyranny. Just human nature. The Constitution is primarily a document that attempts to limit Government power, because ultimately it is the people who control Government and not the other way around.

Rarely do non-Americans understand this concept and, unfortunately, because of the state of education today, few Americans do as well.

--hide--
Dearest Paul, you just couldn't resist to pull the non-American card, now could you? United States Flag cowboy

I think the key phrase is "well regulated" and I don't see any immediate problems with tighten the control of handguns and still remain true to the second amendment. But what do I know?

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Dearest Paul, you just couldn't resist to pull the non-American card, now could you? <...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

Dearest Paul, you just couldn't resist to pull the non-American card, now could you?

I think the key phrase is "well regulated" and I don't see any immediate problems with tighten the control of handguns and still remain true to the second amendment. But what do I know?

--hide--

If you had not noticed, I included most Americans in the same class.

Incidentally, I pay attention to the guys who wrote the Amendment when they tell us what it means rather than any uneducated American and Europeans who don't really understand it.

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: If you had not noticed, I included most Americans in the same class. Incidentally,...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

If you had not noticed, I included most Americans in the same class.

Incidentally, I pay attention to the guys who wrote the Amendment when they tell us what it means rather than any uneducated American and Europeans who don't really understand it.

--hide--
Perhaps the society of today can't handle that freedom the second amendment gives. Also the freedom to own these guns is meant to be used to arm militia to fight the government in case it goes bad. In such case, do you really think you can fight the armed forces with petty handguns and assault rifles? The army comes with a bunch of M1A1 Abraham tanks and you shoot at them with handguns... gangster Or are you suggesting that you should be allowed to have a M1A1 in your backyard too?

By the way, have you asked what Jesus thinks of this gun issue?

Apr 1st 2013 new

I'm not going to pretend to know anything on this subject.....so I heartily speak from the heart. I grew up in the city but have lived in the country for 20 years. City people see guns as baby killers. Country people see guns as a mean for survival.....hunting to put food on the table and protection of property, often livestock from predators. Each side has a valid argument. I suggest that NO ONE could argue in defense of owning (privately) these semi automatic and multi round assault weapons that are made exclusively for the purpose of taking out many human lives quickly I.e. Newtown. two cents

Posts 1 - 10 of 16