Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Dancing with Two Left Feet

Mar 29th 2013 new
I have never been comfortable with meeting new people at dances (or for that matter, with people I've known for eons). I suppose you could say I have a phobia for dancing. I have no sense of rhythm and can't seem to relax physically enough to let go on a dance floor. I've always been this way-- never learned how to dance (Never did that sleepover activity of spinning a few 45s and trying out moves with teen girlfriends), have some really bad memories of dances from high school (fist fights, bullying, etc) and I am just very self conscious. Also, when I meet new people I want to talk with them, not engage in some kind of physical activity. Dances rarely have an environment conducive to conversation. The music is too loud and I find myself fumbling with a drink or pulling on the hem of my sweater, etc.

This is NOT to say I am shy or dull. At one time I thought I was, but when I learned I do make mistakes, I realized that I was wrong about that. wink I am actually very outgoing (ask anyone who knows, has met me, from the forums) and I have acquired some skills at being entertaining. (Evidently some people find me bubbly, funny, smart, and entertaining. I can even be a gracious hostess.)

So why do people think that single adults want to meet at a dance? Aren't their better social environments than reliving our teen years? YUCK!

Your thoughts?

(And if you are going to try to convince me that I should embrace dancing--- along the lines of "I Hope You Dance"--- then remember that this ballerina princess is a cracked dream; please be gentle.)
Mar 29th 2013 new

I'm with you on this one Dawn, especially meeting someone for the first time. I am somewhat quite, shy and feel awkward around people until I get to know them. I enjoy the one on one with another person. However, I do not have two left feet and will eventually love to go dancing with someone again.

Mar 29th 2013 new
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: I have never been comfortable with meeting new people at dances (or for that matter, with people I've known for ...
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: I have never been comfortable with meeting new people at dances (or for that matter, with people I've known for eons). I suppose you could say I have a phobia for dancing. I have no sense of rhythm and can't seem to relax physically enough to let go on a dance floor. I've always been this way-- never learned how to dance (Never did that sleepover activity of spinning a few 45s and trying out moves with teen girlfriends), have some really bad memories of dances from high school (fist fights, bullying, etc) and I am just very self conscious. Also, when I meet new people I want to talk with them, not engage in some kind of physical activity. Dances rarely have an environment conducive to conversation. The music is too loud and I find myself fumbling with a drink or pulling on the hem of my sweater, etc.

This is NOT to say I am shy or dull. At one time I thought I was, but when I learned I do make mistakes, I realized that I was wrong about that. I am actually very outgoing (ask anyone who knows, has met me, from the forums) and I have acquired some skills at being entertaining. (Evidently some people find me bubbly, funny, smart, and entertaining. I can even be a gracious hostess.)

So why do people think that single adults want to meet at a dance? Aren't their better social environments than reliving our teen years? YUCK!

Your thoughts?

(And if you are going to try to convince me that I should embrace dancing--- along the lines of "I Hope You Dance"--- then remember that this ballerina princess is a cracked dream; please be gentle.)
--hide--

I think a dance as a singles event to meet people is sweet. There are many different social events that would be good for meeting people. Dances are just one of them.
Mar 29th 2013 new

[quote]Dawn-58330 said:

I agree with you, Dawn. Brings back memories of when I was taller than almost everyone, skinny & kind of nerdy & extremely shy. The guys would look for the cute, short girls to dance with. I would love to try dancing, but I'm afraid I might try to lead & start stumbling over our feet!

Not the best choice for me to meet someone either. In addition, quite often the music at a dance is so extremely loud it prohibits talking & getting acquainted--another detriment to meeting someone new.

Mar 29th 2013 new
(Quote) Rhonda-45054 said: I'm with you on this one Dawn, especially meeting someone for the first time. I am somewhat quite, shy and...
(Quote) Rhonda-45054 said:

I'm with you on this one Dawn, especially meeting someone for the first time. I am somewhat quite, shy and feel awkward around people until I get to know them. I enjoy the one on one with another person. However, I do not have two left feet and will eventually love to go dancing with someone again.

--hide--

I sure hope you get to dancing sometime soon, Rhonda.

It's funny how we are opposite. I am not shy or uncomfortable around people I don't know. I just loath dancing in the company of virtual strangers that I don't trust yet. Now, when I know that I'll be in the arms of the man who has already show me his love, I will most definitely want to dance some slow dances with him-- preferably without an audience. heart
Mar 29th 2013 new
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: I think a dance as a singles event to meet people is sweet. There are many different social events th...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

I think a dance as a singles event to meet people is sweet. There are many different social events that would be good for meeting people. Dances are just one of them.
--hide--

Hi Josephine. Can you give us some suggestions of alternatives? I'm looking to branch out and try new things... just can't bring myself to do the dance. But I have no problem organizing something else!
Mar 29th 2013 new
(Quote) I agree with you, Dawn. Brings back memories of when I was taller than almost everyone, skinny & kind of nerdy & extremely shy. Th...
(Quote) I agree with you, Dawn. Brings back memories of when I was taller than almost everyone, skinny & kind of nerdy & extremely shy. The guys would look for the cute, short girls to dance with. I would love to try dancing, but I'm afraid I might try to lead & start stumbling over our feet!

Not the best choice for me to meet someone either. In addition, quite often the music at a dance is so extremely loud it prohibits talking & getting acquainted--another detriment to meeting someone new.

--hide--

Yep.
Mar 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: I have never been comfortable with meeting new people at dances (or for that matter, with people I've ...
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: I have never been comfortable with meeting new people at dances (or for that matter, with people I've known for eons). I suppose you could say I have a phobia for dancing. I have no sense of rhythm and can't seem to relax physically enough to let go on a dance floor. I've always been this way-- never learned how to dance (Never did that sleepover activity of spinning a few 45s and trying out moves with teen girlfriends), have some really bad memories of dances from high school (fist fights, bullying, etc) and I am just very self conscious. Also, when I meet new people I want to talk with them, not engage in some kind of physical activity. Dances rarely have an environment conducive to conversation. The music is too loud and I find myself fumbling with a drink or pulling on the hem of my sweater, etc.

This is NOT to say I am shy or dull. At one time I thought I was, but when I learned I do make mistakes, I realized that I was wrong about that. I am actually very outgoing (ask anyone who knows, has met me, from the forums) and I have acquired some skills at being entertaining. (Evidently some people find me bubbly, funny, smart, and entertaining. I can even be a gracious hostess.)

Your thoughts?

--hide--

Dawn,

Too bad I can't go, because next to my dancing skills, you would look like a total pro! My friends say my dancing reminds them of the gopher on Caddyshack.

Dances aren't my cup of tea either, but you might luck out and find a similarly quiet gentleman pulling on the hem of his sweater.

-Jennifer

Mar 30th 2013 new
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: Hi Josephine. Can you give us some suggestions of alternatives? I'm looking to branch out and try new th...
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said:

Hi Josephine. Can you give us some suggestions of alternatives? I'm looking to branch out and try new things... just can't bring myself to do the dance. But I have no problem organizing something else!
--hide--

Hi Dawn,

I love to meet people at catholic evernt- lectures, retreats, socials. We have a lot of them here in the NY area, but I'm not sure about where you live.

You might also want to try Catholic meet-up groups. You can google "meet-up groups" and search around for Catholic groups. There are Catholic meet-up groups that also meet to do volunteer work. I think you'll have a lot better luck with the meet-up groups than me since your more near their age group norm. If there is not a Catholic meet-up group in your area, you might consider starting one. I'm sure the organizers of the existing groups can help you with that.

Many churches have singles groups. Check your local diocese for those. If there aren't any in your area, again, consider starting one. The Catholic Alumni Club is a national organization of professional singles. They meet and have events regularly. They're pretty exclusive, which I am not too thrilled with. A member should have been educated in Catholic school and have a certain number of college credits, although they say they make exceptions. There mission is not to join singles for romantic purposes, but you will meet other singles.

If you know of a interesting event in your area, you can post it in the meet up room and see who would like to join you.

I hope some of that helps.
Mar 30th 2013 new

You don't have to be the best dancer in the world to enjoy dancing. In fact my boyfriend took me dancing this evening. I would like to learn some on the newer dances even at my age. In the mid-west anyway line dancing is popular and you don't even need a partner just get on the dace floor and do your thing and follow the person in front or beside you.

Posts 1 - 10 of 111