Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Mar 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: I have many friends who are on facebook who are in favor of gay marriage. I would like some help...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

I have many friends who are on facebook who are in favor of gay marriage. I would like some help with explaining the Catholic stance that would be easily understood, a quick enough read most would read it, but with enough substance to not be so easily dismissed. I'd love your help. Every time I try to write it out, it gets too long and not kind-yet-firm. Please help!

--hide--
I am in no way competent to speak for the Catholic Church, however the following is how I approached the subject with a gay former coworker and still friend. She brought the subject up- I would never do that in the workplace. She and her partner have been in a relationship for over twenty years, and there's no doubt they love each other. I argued that she should be able to realize all of the benefits- insurance, hospital visits, etc. but that we Catholics simply believe that the word marriage should not be redefined, that it is and always has been a legal union for the purpose of procreation. Children thrive best with both a mother and father. Gay people can call their legal relationship anything they wish except 'marriage.' In many states they already have comparable benefits. I want a world where if someone says they are married and introduces their husband or wife, you can relax knowing that they will be of the opposite sex. I tried to explain to her that in the eyes of the Catholic Church, hatred is not part of the equation. It's all about defining a word, and no one's rights are being trampled on.

By the way, she refers to me as her token conservative friend! laughing

Mar 30th 2013 new

140 characters: He created man and woman to mirror the relationship between Him and men. So same-sex marriage is repugnant to the Catholic faith. Amen, yo.

Mar 30th 2013 new

I should amend my comment to indicate that I am only answering the topic question and not offering a complete Scriptural or American legal analysis.

Mar 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: I have many friends who are on facebook who are in favor of gay marriage. I would like some help...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

I have many friends who are on facebook who are in favor of gay marriage. I would like some help with explaining the Catholic stance that would be easily understood, a quick enough read most would read it, but with enough substance to not be so easily dismissed. I'd love your help. Every time I try to write it out, it gets too long and not kind-yet-firm. Please help!

--hide--

Don't mention the Catholic Church and instead try to find other sources, of which there are plenty. In the past opposition to birth control and abortion was derided by the establishment as solely coming from the RC Church, which was not true.

The gay rights movemet tends to be seen as a left-wing movement. So attack gay marriage from the left and argue that sodomy is the province of wealthy elites and that gay marriage is aimed at destroying working-class families.

Mar 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: Marriage is the only institution that unites children with their parents. Not all marriages prod...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

Marriage is the only institution that unites children with their parents. Not all marriages produce children, but all children have a mum and a dad. Redefining marriage to accomodate same sex couples reduces marriage to an adult-centric institution which is only concerned with the good of the adults. Allowing this redefinintion on the bassis of "love" and the wants of adults, will open the door to all sorts of relationships being legally acknowledge. If society wants to protect children, it must protect the male/female marriage.

As an asside, Religion has no monopoly on marriage. Marriage is simply the word we give to legally recognise a unquie and irreplaceable relationship dynamic that exists within the human condition.

There is no such thing as "gay marriage", that is a legal fiction and semantically incorrect.

Problem with the homosexual lobby, their propaganda machine focusses, and does it very well, on simple catch phrases that have not a grain of truth but are easy to remember and spout out.

Anyone recall "my body, my choice" BS?

Hi Naomi,

Good stuff. First of all I agree with you on every point. But I too, am caught in this web of homosexual marriage and being tolerant. It is being shoved in my face ...plenty. I have a brother who has a wife named..... ROBERT. I did not go to the wedding and some other people in my family didn't go either. It was a come if you want invitation. I could not see myself "supporting " this kind of life. I knew that Jesus would not attend a 'sacriledge' so I couldn't either. Don't get me wrong, I love my brother very much and always treat he and Robert with kindness but I just can't be " Do what you want God just wants you to love each other" kind of woman. If they were truly worried about each others soul they wouldn't have gotten married but be living a chast life and caring for each other in a brotherly way. It saddens me and I pray for his soul....

About the 'my body, my choice' yes, I do remember that. So, now woman are saying "This is My Body"!!!!!!! Sound familiar???? :) :) They are taking Our Savior's words and using it for their agenda! Without even knowing it. But we do! And it is not their body they are killing...it is ANOTHER body inside them that has a soul..:(

--hide--

Mar 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-726465 said: (Quote) Naomi-698107 said: Marriage is the only institution that unit...
(Quote) Elizabeth-726465 said:

Quote:
Naomi-698107 said:

Marriage is the only institution that unites children with their parents. Not all marriages produce children, but all children have a mum and a dad. Redefining marriage to accomodate same sex couples reduces marriage to an adult-centric institution which is only concerned with the good of the adults. Allowing this redefinintion on the bassis of "love" and the wants of adults, will open the door to all sorts of relationships being legally acknowledge. If society wants to protect children, it must protect the male/female marriage.

As an asside, Religion has no monopoly on marriage. Marriage is simply the word we give to legally recognise a unquie and irreplaceable relationship dynamic that exists within the human condition.

There is no such thing as "gay marriage", that is a legal fiction and semantically incorrect.

Problem with the homosexual lobby, their propaganda machine focusses, and does it very well, on simple catch phrases that have not a grain of truth but are easy to remember and spout out.

Anyone recall "my body, my choice" BS?

Hi Naomi,

Good stuff. First of all I agree with you on every point. But I too, am caught in this web of homosexual marriage and being tolerant. It is being shoved in my face ...plenty. I have a brother who has a wife named..... ROBERT. I did not go to the wedding and some other people in my family didn't go either. It was a come if you want invitation. I could not see myself "supporting " this kind of life. I knew that Jesus would not attend a 'sacriledge' so I couldn't either. Don't get me wrong, I love my brother very much and always treat he and Robert with kindness but I just can't be " Do what you want God just wants you to love each other" kind of woman. If they were truly worried about each others soul they wouldn't have gotten married but be living a chast life and caring for each other in a brotherly way. It saddens me and I pray for his soul....

About the 'my body, my choice' yes, I do remember that. So, now woman are saying "This is My Body"!!!!!!! Sound familiar???? :) :) They are taking Our Savior's words and using it for their agenda! Without even knowing it. But we do! And it is not their body they are killing...it is ANOTHER body inside them that has a soul..:(

--hide--

Mar 30th 2013 new

Try this...

A baby is born. It is quite easy to identify the mother of the baby, but it is not always so easy to identify the father of the baby. That is what marriage is for, to allow society to identify the father of the child and hold him responsible for the care of the child until the child can care for him/her self. Note that this is done for the good of the child, the mother and society in general. The child because nature dictates that it takes both a man and a woman to conceive a child and thus the child fairs best when he/she is raised by both a mother and a father. The mother because it is unjust for a man to participate in the pro-creation of a child and then leave it to the mother to raise the child by herself and society in general since at some point society must deal with the consequences of fatherless/parentless children.

Mar 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Kiki-919783 said: I should amend my comment to indicate that I am only answering the topic question and not offering...
(Quote) Kiki-919783 said:

I should amend my comment to indicate that I am only answering the topic question and not offering a complete Scriptural or American legal analysis.

--hide--

I thought it was pretty comprehensive.

Mar 30th 2013 new

Here is a piece by Ryan T. Anderson : Marriage: What It Is, Why It Matters, and the Consequences of Redefining It

www.heritage.org

....and a piece on what has happened in Massachusetts. It is a 2102 update of the article written in 2008.

www.massresistance.org

Oremus.

Mar 30th 2013 new

That adequately explains the basis for marriage as a civil contract. There's no way in Hades that the ancient Greeks and Romans thought they were espousing our 17-century-onward romantic "love" by doing marriage contracts, and nor did any other ancient society. It was a testimony for the sake of protecting the man from female infidelity and the women from male abandonment. An extra layer of external pressure on them to do right by one another and not exploit each other's vulnerabilities.

Posts 21 - 30 of 158