Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but seems a good enough place. biggrin

I am back from Easter Vigil. I love the Easter Vigil, so rich and beautiful and vibrant. But, I have been thinking for the last few days about the absolutely most beautiful mass I ever attended, it filled me with awe and gave me chills and it was performed in a bedroom by a frail priest. :-)

My uncle was a diocesan priest for the Archdiocese of OKC. After serving in parishes in Enid, Durant, Midwest City and Oklahoma City, heart surgery put him into semi-retirement, when he had recovered sufficiently, he was sent to be the Chaplain at Mercy Health Center, at first he was the assistant chaplain and later the chaplain. He was also the Chaplain at Remington Park -- and said Mass for the horse owners, jockey's stable hands and employees in a chapel there. But, his declining health finally forced his full retirment. Diabetes had stolen the feeling from his legs etc. But, he said Mass every day at home, occasionally someone else would be there as well. One morning I had an early morning doctor's appointment and was without kiddos, so after the appointment I went by my uncle's. He told me he was just about to start Mass, so I followed him to his bed room and sat in the corner. He had set up his traveling altar cloth and vessels on the dresser. Because the altar was set up on the dresser he had his back to me. It was one of the most amazing encounters of my life, the entire feeling in the room changed. I felt as if I was being allowed to witness an exquisitely intimate interaction between my uncle and God whom he had served so faithfully. I watched my uncle struggle with his frail body to genuflect, but no matter how difficult he managed every posture, so reverent, so personal, so beautiful. I got chills sitting there and came to a realization about just how deep my uncle's faith truly was. I had seen him say Mass hundreds of times, but this Mass was the most beautiful experience I have ever had. Makes me weep to think of it.

The last five or six weeks of his life were spent at my mother's house, and my husband, my children and I moved in to take care of him. I had been taking care of him at his home prior to this. It was just at the start of Advent when he came home and we knew it was at the end. They had missed the health problem assuming it was lung related for too long, when in reality he had needed an additional pacemaker, but was too weak to undergo the procedure now. He had told God several times for the year or two before that he was ready to go home whenever He willed it. But, as he came home, he told me that he was still ready but he had asked God to allow us to make it through Christmas, so that his death would not mar the holidays for the family for the future, especially the little ones. We had a beautiful Christmas. He collapsed the night before the Feast of the Epiphany and passed away the next morning on the Feast of the Epiphany the final day of Christmas. His funeral mass was also very beautiful, the church was filled with people from all of his previous parishes and the hospital and his friends and the priests close to forty priests I think were there, their voices so deep and male and strong singing out. In the homily, Fr. Joe Ross who had been assigned to my uncle as an associate for his first assigment, spoke about my uncle and his ministry and finished it by noting it was fitting that this good and faithful servant would go home on the Epiphany.

I am forever grateful for my uncle, the Mass and most especially for that Mass that day, watching my uncle in true intimate communion with Our Lord.

What Mass filled you with a sense of awe and wonder?

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but seems a good enough place. I am ba...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but seems a good enough place.

I am back from Easter Vigil. I love the Easter Vigil, so rich and beautiful and vibrant. But, I have been thinking for the last few days about the absolutely most beautiful mass I ever attended, it filled me with awe and gave me chills and it was performed in a bedroom by a frail priest. :-)

My uncle was a diocesan priest for the Archdiocese of OKC. After serving in parishes in Enid, Durant, Midwest City and Oklahoma City, heart surgery put him into semi-retirement, when he had recovered sufficiently, he was sent to be the Chaplain at Mercy Health Center, at first he was the assistant chaplain and later the chaplain. He was also the Chaplain at Remington Park -- and said Mass for the horse owners, jockey's stable hands and employees in a chapel there. But, his declining health finally forced his full retirment. Diabetes had stolen the feeling from his legs etc. But, he said Mass every day at home, occasionally someone else would be there as well. One morning I had an early morning doctor's appointment and was without kiddos, so after the appointment I went by my uncle's. He told me he was just about to start Mass, so I followed him to his bed room and sat in the corner. He had set up his traveling altar cloth and vessels on the dresser. Because the altar was set up on the dresser he had his back to me. It was one of the most amazing encounters of my life, the entire feeling in the room changed. I felt as if I was being allowed to witness an exquisitely intimate interaction between my uncle and God whom he had served so faithfully. I watched my uncle struggle with his frail body to genuflect, but no matter how difficult he managed every posture, so reverent, so personal, so beautiful. I got chills sitting there and came to a realization about just how deep my uncle's faith truly was. I had seen him say Mass hundreds of times, but this Mass was the most beautiful experience I have ever had. Makes me weep to think of it.

The last five or six weeks of his life were spent at my mother's house, and my husband, my children and I moved in to take care of him. I had been taking care of him at his home prior to this. It was just at the start of Advent when he came home and we knew it was at the end. They had missed the health problem assuming it was lung related for too long, when in reality he had needed an additional pacemaker, but was too weak to undergo the procedure now. He had told God several times for the year or two before that he was ready to go home whenever He willed it. But, as he came home, he told me that he was still ready but he had asked God to allow us to make it through Christmas, so that his death would not mar the holidays for the family for the future, especially the little ones. We had a beautiful Christmas. He collapsed the night before the Feast of the Epiphany and passed away the next morning on the Feast of the Epiphany the final day of Christmas. His funeral mass was also very beautiful, the church was filled with people from all of his previous parishes and the hospital and his friends and the priests close to forty priests I think were there, their voices so deep and male and strong singing out. In the homily, Fr. Joe Ross who had been assigned to my uncle as an associate for his first assigment, spoke about my uncle and his ministry and finished it by noting it was fitting that this good and faithful servant would go home on the Epiphany.

I am forever grateful for my uncle, the Mass and most especially for that Mass that day, watching my uncle in true intimate communion with Our Lord.

What Mass filled you with a sense of awe and wonder?

--hide--
Hi Lauren, one that really stands out was the Dominican Rite Requiem Mass on All Soul's Day a few years back at Holy Rosary here in PDX. This was Faure's " Requiem ", sung by Cantores in Ecclesia.

Mar 31st 2013 new

Easter Vigil 2009, when I was recieved into the Church. That's probably what every convert would say, though!

Mar 31st 2013 new

The Easter Vigil last night. That was my first time attending.

Mar 31st 2013 new

The most beautiful Mass I've witnessed was via television (along with hundreds of millions of otjher viewers) and that was the funeral Mass for Pope John Paul II. In person, the wedding of a good friend in 2001 in a 200 year-old church in a tiny pueblo in Queretaro, Mexico.

Mar 31st 2013 new

Thank you for such a beautiful story, Lauren!

There have been several that were extremely mystical...but the most beautiful had to be my nuptial Mass.

Mar 31st 2013 new

Mount Eremos, overlooking the Sea of Galilee, one of the possible locations for the Sermon on the Mount. With 30 of my fellow parishioners, and my loved Priest, the Mass was the most beautiful I've ever experienced. It was sunny with a cool breeze. We sat on the side of a gentle hill, on rocks and under beautiful trees. Our Priest was below us saying the Mass. As we walked down the hill to receive the Eucharist I was moved to tears. I will never forget that feeling. Pure joy.

Mar 31st 2013 new

I'm going to say the Easter Vigil (NO) yesterday and the Easter mass (TLM) today. Also the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and Midnight Mass at the National Shrine last year!

Mar 31st 2013 new

Dang .... so many hundreds of Masses I've attended over my lifetime, some very reverent, others not so much. It would be hard to pick one "most beautiful".

One candidate is a wedding of friends I attended in Hagerstown, Md. in August 2011. It was my first and, thus far, only Wedding Mass I've attended in the Extraordinary Form. The strange thing is that the wedding was originally supposed to be in Syracuse, N.Y. on a Saturday, but for various reasons (which I won't go into here) it was moved to Hagerstown on a Thursday evening. Because of the last minute change in plans, the gathering for the wedding was small -- and thanks to that, I was able to sit up front and really pay attention to the actions of the priest, more than I had been able to do with previous TLMs that I attended. That made it more meaningful to me, and I was really able to appreciate the beauty of the Latin Mass like I hadn't before. I still prefer the Ordinary Form for myself, but the way that particular wedding transpired allowed me to share in my friends' love for the TLM.

My only complaint about that Mass would be that the priest rambled on and on in his homily. rolling eyes laughing

Mar 31st 2013 new

I guess masses that feel very personal are extra special. The wedding masses for my sisters were very nice. So was my mother's funeral mass, although sad, you could feel the love for her inside the church.

A Filipino priest surprised us at one New Year's mass. He sang, "It's Just Another New Year's Eve" (Barry Manilow) - he sounded good too!

Posts 1 - 10 of 22