Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: You must sign in before expressing interest in this event.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Culture vs. Politics

Mar 30th 2013 new

I heard on EWTN that during times of persecution of our faith that the key to changing it was through the culture not politics....makes a lot of sense. He gave the example of shakespeare who did not run for office or start a political party during the Elizabethan age when Catholics were being killed but instead, he wrote plays. If you think about it, this makes a lot of sense. Who owns the culture now except the unreligious liberals? And their values have been spreading everywhere since they started "owning" it.

YOur thoughts?

Mar 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: I heard on EWTN that during times of persecution of our faith that the key to changing it was th...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

I heard on EWTN that during times of persecution of our faith that the key to changing it was through the culture not politics....makes a lot of sense. He gave the example of shakespeare who did not run for office or start a political party during the Elizabethan age when Catholics were being killed but instead, he wrote plays. If you think about it, this makes a lot of sense. Who owns the culture now except the unreligious liberals? And their values have been spreading everywhere since they started "owning" it.

YOur thoughts?

--hide--
This is not to say that as Christians we don't get involved in our civic duty because I think this is a must and another reason things are as bad as they are is because we have ignored this duty or done it wrongly based on the fact that we listened to the "new values". However, it is to say that for those who have talents in the cultural industries, that they have a moral obligation to try to used those gifts in a way that glorifies God, not harms faith.

Mar 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: I heard on EWTN that during times of persecution of our faith that the key to changing it was th...

YOur thoughts?

--hide--
I think liberals do own the culture, and conservatives have been largely relegated to a subculture. I use Facebook to keep in touch with distant relatives and friends scattered to the four winds, including former coworkers (I'm retired of course). Some of the latter are not just liberals but flaming liberals. They changed their picture to the pink 'equal' symbol signifying solidarity with the gay 'marriage' movement. The stuff they post is insufferably obnoxious. The reason I don't 'unfriend' them is because I enjoy spirited debate (as you may have noted here on CM). Liberal posts get many supportive comments, while conservative posts are attacked as 'hate speech'- when I respond with my 'hateful' Christian opinions, I'm called names I can't repeat here! While there is certainly plenty of genuine hate speech out there, the term has been used to silence opposition. Catholic teaching on marriage for example has been called 'hate speech.' We have to keep up the good fight! theheart Praying

Mar 31st 2013 new

YOur thoughts?

--hide--

Hi Cheryl et alia,

I'm not sure that all liberals are unreligious. I'm also not sure that all conservatives, even though they may be more religious that the liberals, are virtuous. Be careful what you wish for.

How do you propose to start "reowning" culture?

James ☺

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: I think liberals do own the culture, and conservatives have been largely relegated to a subcultur...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

I think liberals do own the culture, and conservatives have been largely relegated to a subculture. I use Facebook to keep in touch with distant relatives and friends scattered to the four winds, including former coworkers (I'm retired of course). Some of the latter are not just liberals but flaming liberals. They changed their picture to the pink 'equal' symbol signifying solidarity with the gay 'marriage' movement. The stuff they post is insufferably obnoxious. The reason I don't 'unfriend' them is because I enjoy spirited debate (as you may have noted here on CM). Liberal posts get many supportive comments, while conservative posts are attacked as 'hate speech'- when I respond with my 'hateful' Christian opinions, I'm called names I can't repeat here! While there is certainly plenty of genuine hate speech out there, the term has been used to silence opposition. Catholic teaching on marriage for example has been called 'hate speech.' We have to keep up the good fight!

--hide--
I"m not suprised. That is the irony of it all...they are the most intollerant of all, yet they accuse Christians of being intolerant. They do own the culture....there isn't even one show now on t.v. where the gay agenda is not being promoted. Even on the shows that are supposed to be for families, you will see the gay agenda either snuck in there or openly showed.

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Cheryl et alia,I'm not sure that all liberals are unreligious. I'm also...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

Hi Cheryl et alia,

I'm not sure that all liberals are unreligious. I'm also not sure that all conservatives, even though they may be more religious that the liberals, are virtuous. Be careful what you wish for.

How do you propose to start "reowning" culture?

James ☺

--hide--
I don't know. I just wanted to hear people's thoughts on just that. EWTN is calling for actors and actresses to be more mindful of their faith and acti in accordance, but who watches EWTN in Hollywood. eyepopping

Mar 31st 2013 new

I just had a good ole discussion on FB about redefining marriage to accomodate same sex couples.

And when I say "good ole discussion" I mean a bunch of pro-RDMTASSC told me I was hateful and biggotted because I posted a "marriage = man + woman" profile pic. Hehe. The disucssion then revolved around my position as a nurse and how I was "unprofessional" for being such a mean, love hating bigot.

I was also told that Jesus was nice. And he likes homos. And I'm a mean ole bigot, who's hateful you know, and has no compassion, because I tell people that taking it up the backside is bad. And Jesus would be totally all for two men playing house.

During this discussion I noticed an either two things.

1. The person wasn't reading my posts - TLDR? or

2. Didn't understand.

At this junction I was sure to include a I don't really blame you, its not your fault, everyone likes love and catch phrases and Bob looks o' so pretiful in a white dress, ooooh, and that veil, to die for!

I would stand by the number that probably 9 out of 10 of my FB buddies were pro-RDMTASSC.

I see their posts. I see their absolute crap tastic job of arguing. I see their fall back comments. I hear the term bigot so many times I think maybe I should get it tattooed on my forehead to warn everyone I'm coming.

Yip, pretty obvious what view society holds.

Silly society!

Of course, I'm just a mean ole hateful bigot.

I am totally unprofessional though. My boss just laughs at my antics. And then says "I have to be seen to be telling you off, so I'm just going to shut my office door and read this magazine, you want this cross word?"

Mar 31st 2013 new

Last night at work I actually read an article in one of our local papers about the "New" christianity, and how its hip and ciche, and loves those big ole queer weddin's.

It talked of how Christainity was changing to reflect modern views in the light of Christ. That Christ was a nice fellow and he would want everyone to be happy. Usual yap, and then of course, Christians who are mean an biggotted and still hold to "archiac" views of human sexuality are "fundamentalist". LIke how they use the word with the term "Muslim" to describe terrorists.

So I think not only is it secular culture, but also Protestants who are too weak in the knees to actually stand their ground for Christ's real message.

We're being attacked from both sides.

And I think its absolutely mortifying. The secular side, the atheists, I can leave them to the tender mercy of God who probably knows all to well how ignorant they were raised by equally ignorant/angry athiest parents, but the Christians... you can't really claim you didn't know when you grow up hearing St. Paul's writings. Thinking about it now, actually, we're starting to see a lot more products of atheist parents. I have friends who were raised atheists by former Christians, who themselves are now raising their own kids as atheists. My friends knew that religion was this "thing" that "stupid people" beleived because we're all affraid of death, apparently. Frankly, I quite like the idea of being a maggot buffet in a box. Its a lot more reassuring than burning in Hell for all eternity. So what results then can we expect of their own children? Truly ignorant, seeing religion only as a "hobby" some do on Sunday, like the back 9.

Sometimes I think we need to leave the atheists to it and save us some Protestants.

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: Last night at work I actually read an article in one of our local papers about the "New"...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

Last night at work I actually read an article in one of our local papers about the "New" christianity, and how its hip and ciche, and loves those big ole queer weddin's.

It talked of how Christainity was changing to reflect modern views in the light of Christ. That Christ was a nice fellow and he would want everyone to be happy. Usual yap, and then of course, Christians who are mean an biggotted and still hold to "archiac" views of human sexuality are "fundamentalist". LIke how they use the word with the term "Muslim" to describe terrorists.

So I think not only is it secular culture, but also Protestants who are too weak in the knees to actually stand their ground for Christ's real message.

We're being attacked from both sides.

And I think its absolutely mortifying. The secular side, the atheists, I can leave them to the tender mercy of God who probably knows all to well how ignorant they were raised by equally ignorant/angry athiest parents, but the Christians... you can't really claim you didn't know when you grow up hearing St. Paul's writings. Thinking about it now, actually, we're starting to see a lot more products of atheist parents. I have friends who were raised atheists by former Christians, who themselves are now raising their own kids as atheists. My friends knew that religion was this "thing" that "stupid people" beleived because we're all affraid of death, apparently. Frankly, I quite like the idea of being a maggot buffet in a box. Its a lot more reassuring than burning in Hell for all eternity. So what results then can we expect of their own children? Truly ignorant, seeing religion only as a "hobby" some do on Sunday, like the back 9.

Sometimes I think we need to leave the atheists to it and save us some Protestants.

--hide--
except it isn't just protestants...there are so called "catholics" too that turn their back on scripture to say everyone is going to heaven and there isn't really any sin that seperates us from a loving God.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: except it isn't just protestants...there are so called "catholics" too that turn t...

except it isn't just protestants...there are so called "catholics" too that turn their back on scripture to say everyone is going to heaven and there isn't really any sin that seperates us from a loving God.

--hide--

Absolutely.

I know a lot. Several in my family. The "Hell isn't forever", "only really bad people [like hitler] go to Hell", "so what if uncle such and such got a vasectomy, he's a good man".

Protestant heresy in foundation and its infected Catholicism. So many of our soft bellied clergy saw it coming and did nothing to stop it.

Posts 1 - 10 of 78