Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

North Korea

Apr 1st 2013 new

I checked in here but couldn't see any discussions about North Korea's increasingly heated threats.

Is anyone concerned, or do you think this is just the usual impotent hot air blowing from their direction?

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: I checked in here but couldn't see any discussions about North Korea's increasingly heated...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

I checked in here but couldn't see any discussions about North Korea's increasingly heated threats.

Is anyone concerned, or do you think this is just the usual impotent hot air blowing from their direction?

--hide--
Unfortinately tensions are at a very high level, and it appears they are gearing up for a confrontation. Doesn't look good. They might be counting on a weakened US military because of the troop commitments in the Middle East, plus a weak economy that has been drained by war and other high spending.

Some leaders never learn how to lead. Or is it, "like father, like son"????

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: I checked in here but couldn't see any discussions about North Korea's increasingly heated...

--hide--

Hi Lina and Ray,

I don't really know what is going on in North Korea. But my intuition tells me that Kim Jong Un has a real morale problem on his hands. He's the nominal head of a country that operates under the strain of a disastrous economic and political philosophy. It's impossible to keep the country hermetically sealed. Cell phones and videos are being smuggled across the border from China. More than a few people are disgruntled, which is why Kim's concentration camps are full. Think about it. What better way to unite a nation behind you that to tell your people that they are about to be attacked, and you will lead them to victory?

If Kim threatens war, maybe we should call his bluff and see what happens.

James ☺

Apr 1st 2013 new

Wall Street and London are gearing up for WW III. Watch out for flashpoints and staged events as the financial crisis continues to worsen.

Apr 1st 2013 new

Flashpoints & staged events like what, Sean?

Apr 1st 2013 new

There's cheaper ways to kill yourself, Kim Jong Un, why take out all your people in the process?

I think that man is a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, but an insane man with a nuke is more dangerous than a man with a nuke. I think that's what makes the situation so unsettling. From what we see, it looks like he truly beleives, his generals, and unfortunately the people of NK, truly believe that they can win against the South and against America.

Sure, they'll get a few good shots off, a nuke, even a small one - and theirs are estimated to be about the yeild of the Hiroshima blast. That's still 70,000 people dead in an instant. But they can't have that many, maybe ten battle ready? 20 if you want to be generous, and that's being really generous, and the delivery methods wouldn't land one in major State side based cities or military targets. And the tech for the delivery systems they do have would be easily shot down.

I'd still say they'd get one through, probably onto the South.

Kim Jong Il, his chest thumping was always sort of restrained, his son is making louder noises and I wonder if he's just a puppet. Yet, who in their right mind thinks they could stand a chance if they attacked America? Obama released the numbers of nukes ready to go with little stars and stripes on them. Its about 5,000.

The real question, is would China come to the party and defend NK?

10 years ago I would have said absolutely, relations were warm between the two communist nations, now it seems the Chinese are getting annoyed at Un's verbal tirades.

If the North nuked the South, I don't think the South could nuke back, but if the Japanese helped out with conventional bombing and maybe the Americans as well, then I don't think China would get involved, I don't htink it'd esculate beyond maybe a few nuclear blasts. If, however, America nuked the North, then China could get a bit titchy.

Then of course you get the added variable of what if the radiation drifts into China? Would they take that as an attack on their nation and launch against the States?

Kim Jong Un is a nutjob. A dangerous one. Whether his actions cause a nuclear spat remain to be seen, but China's behaviour towards them recently have sort of lent towards the fact that they wouldnt' get involved.

And really, China is doing quite well for itself, would they really risk nuclear destruction for North Korea? Their geographical size and population base would easily survive a minimal - moderate nuclear strike, but their infilstracture would collaspe, their resources would be difficult to spread,and they'd probably break down into a civil war splitting the country into many smaller countries that most wouldn't be sitting under a COmmunist style rule.

Quite frankly, I think America needs to do a back room deal with China, the both of them need to march in there and take the reigns from that morons, and then let the Chinese keep the country. [Cos I can't quite see them allowing an American initiated democracy being instilled so close to home].

As an asside, I read an interesting, but probably questionable article a while back, about how under Kim Jong Il all women who were found pregnant with triplets had to have an abortion, because some witch doctor told him that triplets would over throw their dear leader's legacy.

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Flashpoints & staged events like what, Sean?

Flashpoints & staged events like what, Sean?

--hide--

Syria, Libya, the color revolutions, Afpak, Uighur separtists, Baloch separatists, the collapse of the Pakistani state, etc. China and Russia are being encircled. Unlike Iraq, these big boys can fight back.

Apr 1st 2013 new

--hide--

We could always ask Dennis Rodman if he gained any insight on his recent personal meeting with North Korean leadership. rolling eyes

Apr 1st 2013 new
I have been following this daily. The US is now sending over one of our big radar platforms to keep an eye on North Korea. It is going to be any time now before a major war starts, and I feel that it will be a bad war.
Apr 1st 2013 new

we need to pray and get our souls in order..never know flower heartbeat rolling eyes

Posts 1 - 10 of 110