Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

This is a new book that we should all be reading.

www.benjaminwiker.com

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Denise-687929 said: This is a new book that we should all be reading.www.benjaminwiker.com.
(Quote) Denise-687929 said:

This is a new book that we should all be reading.

www.benjaminwiker.com

--hide--

Hi Denise,

Thanks for the heads-up on the book. Honestly, however, I don't know anyone, especially those in the middle or the left, who worship the state. Ronald Reagan, however, has become something of a patron saint of the right. I doubt that tha's what the author had in mind when he wrote his book. I also note that the book is published by Regnery Press, a publishing house rather known for printing books from authors on the right. Caveat lector.

James ☺

Apr 1st 2013 new

Here is another article about Worshipping the State. I just heard about this book on the Catholic radio station.

www.humanevents.com

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Denise-687929 said: Here is another article about Worshipping the State. I just heard about this book on the Catholi...

Here is another article about Worshipping the State. I just heard about this book on the Catholic radio station.

www.humanevents.com

--hide--

Hi Denise,

This is all very interesting. As you know, we live in a pluralistic society, and Catholics are (and have always been) a distinct minority in this country. I'm not saying that anything pointed out in the article is morally correct. But, in fact, in order to live in peace with one another, we've had to make accommodations for people who don't necessarily think the way a Opus Dei Catholic would. I fail to see how this translates in to some sort of "worship of the state". Are you suggesting that the United States Constitution is intrinsically immoral? If so, please say so, and maybe we can work from there.

James ☺

Apr 1st 2013 new

James - I believe in the Constitution and we should follow what is stated in the United States Constitution. From what I heard on the Catholic radio station when they were talking about this topic they said that we are taking God out of the public square and the State is our God.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Denise-687929 said: James - I believe in the Constitution and we should follow what is stated in the United States C...

James - I believe in the Constitution and we should follow what is stated in the United States Constitution. From what I heard on the Catholic radio station when they were talking about this topic they said that we are taking God out of the public square and the State is our God.

--hide--

Denise, for better or worse, God is the one word that is not in the Constitution. There are good reasons for that. Many of the Founding Fathers were deists, and not Christian. And being educated men who knew their history, they remembered the 16th Century Protestant-Catholic Wars. To the best of my knowledge, nobody is being persecuted for going to church, or being a Catholic or a Jew (Muslims might be an interesting exception here.)

It is interesting to note that this "removal of God from the public square" seems to be a metric that is applied rather selectively. I've been here so long that by longevity alone, the CM honchos should make me an honorary honcho (honchos, I'm joking, relax). And in all the years I've been here, I've never heard a wizard talk about the removal of God from Wall Street.

wink

James ☺

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: ...It is interesting to note that this "removal of God from the public square" s...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

It is interesting to note that this "removal of God from the public square" seems to be a metric that is applied rather selectively. I've been here so long that by longevity alone, the CM honchos should make me an honorary honcho (honchos, I'm joking, relax). And in all the years I've been here, I've never heard a wizard talk about the removal of God from Wall Street.

James ☺

--hide--

Well, my first thought there is that God would have had to been on Wall Street in the first place to have been subsequently removed...

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: (Quote) James-17080 said: ...It is interesting to note that this &q...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

Quote:
James-17080 said:

James ☺

Well, my first thought there is that God would have had to been on Wall Street in the first place to have been subsequently removed...

--hide--

Hi John et alia,

Good point.

Jim ☺

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Denise,This is all very interesting. As you know, we live in a pluralistic soci...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

Hi Denise,

This is all very interesting. As you know, we live in a pluralistic society, and Catholics are (and have always been) a distinct minority in this country. I'm not saying that anything pointed out in the article is morally correct. But, in fact, in order to live in peace with one another, we've had to make accommodations for people who don't necessarily think the way a Opus Dei Catholic would. I fail to see how this translates in to some sort of "worship of the state". Are you suggesting that the United States Constitution is intrinsically immoral? If so, please say so, and maybe we can work from there.

James ☺

--hide--

I'd hate to imagine an Opus Dei world...would it amount to some sort of a theocracy?

Posts 1 - 9 of 9