Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

04/01/2013 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: If Pope Francis is following Jesus, then that is who you will see.
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

If Pope Francis is following Jesus, then that is who you will see.
--hide--

ummm,, in agreement here. smile wave Praying

04/01/2013 new

Exactly. I am not a canon law expert nor do I feel it is my place to interpret canon law for the Pope. I trust the Holy Spirit and am very excited about Pope Francis and appreciate his demonstrative love and humility.

04/02/2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I lean a lot more towards the Traditional elements of the faith, and I can be far from "mode...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I lean a lot more towards the Traditional elements of the faith, and I can be far from "moderate", certainly not liberal.

But these shenanigans? Seesh!! He washed the feet of a few girls, if that's what counts as "scandal" in our Church presently, some people have their blinkers on to some larger problems.

How about we clean out those paedophiles and homosexual clergy before we start pointing fingers at human beings who wear their reproductive organs on the inside getting their tootsies washed.

There's doctrine and there's Tradtion and then there's stupidity. The Law is meant to serve mankind, not marginalise portions of it.

This whole thing is assinine.

--hide--
Not quite the words I would have used, Naomi, but they express the sentiment exactly.... biggrin

04/02/2013 new

Concerning the Holy Thursday washing of feet by Pope Francis....

This statement (below) was released by the Vatican's chief spokesman, the Rev. Feerico Lombardi on Friday 3/29/2013. I have copied three paragraphs from the Washington Post article (which appears to me to be accurate):

This is the full Washington Post article >>> www.washingtonpost.com

Copied from the article....

The Vatican’s chief spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said the pope’s decision was “absolutely licit” for a rite that is not a church sacrament. Francis also took into account “the real situation, the community where one celebrates,” Lombardi added.

The Casal del Marmo prison where Francis celebrated houses both young men and women, “and it would have been strange if girls had been excluded,” Lombardi said.

“This community understands simple and essential things; they were not liturgy scholars,” Lombardi said. “Washing feet was important to present the Lord’s spirit of service and love.”

I just thought that all concerned (on this thread) may be interested in reading this, if you have not already done so.... Not that I expect it to change anyone's mind on the subject, but I just thought that it was important what the Vatican's chief spokesman had to say concerning this issue.

Ed

04/02/2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Concerning the Holy Thursday washing of feet by Pope Francis.... This statement (below) wa...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Concerning the Holy Thursday washing of feet by Pope Francis....

This statement (below) was released by the Vatican's chief spokesman, the Rev. Feerico Lombardi on Friday 3/29/2013. I have copied three paragraphs from the Washington Post article (which appears to me to be accurate):

This is the full Washington Post article >>> www.washingtonpost.com

Copied from the article....

The Vatican’s chief spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said the pope’s decision was “absolutely licit” for a rite that is not a church sacrament. Francis also took into account “the real situation, the community where one celebrates,” Lombardi added.

The Casal del Marmo prison where Francis celebrated houses both young men and women, “and it would have been strange if girls had been excluded,” Lombardi said.

“This community understands simple and essential things; they were not liturgy scholars,” Lombardi said. “Washing feet was important to present the Lord’s spirit of service and love.”

I just thought that all concerned (on this thread) may be interested in reading this, if you have not already done so.... Not that I expect it to change anyone's mind on the subject, but I just thought that it was important what the Vatican's chief spokesman had to say concerning this issue.

Ed

--hide--

I am grateful to find this thread. Thanks everyone.

04/02/2013 new

I agree thanks! Praying hug

04/02/2013 new

At first, I thought Pope Francis might be more traditional, and was concerned. I understand we need to bring back in some splinter groups but there are some located near me that continue to make rebellious statements (as they have done for 40 years) about the Roman See. I can't see that they are very open to reconciling differences. As such, I felt the efforts to reach out weren't necessary, since they were scoffed at locally by people who held Benedict in contempt.

I personally don't relate to the outreach to the poor, but realize what we think of as poor in America is different in other places. . . we have working poor, and poor who can't work here, but also a large population of poor that choose to use social systems to not change their circumstances. In other places, poor have no choices. . .

I think Pope Francis will be fine, and think that majoring on something like the footwashing was a little silly. Offering sacraments (other than baptism) to non-Christians is questionable, but the footwashing is a tradition.

04/02/2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I just thought that all concerned (on this thread) may be interested in reading this, if you have not...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Ed

--hide--

I would suggest that any who are interested read this article: canonlawblog.wordpress.com

It is from Dr. Ed Peters' Canon Law Blog In the Light of the Law.

I would also like to quote Dr. Peters' additum: "Permit me to express some impatience with the continuing recirculation of a bad theory.

"Every time I turn around, someone is citing Fr. Lombardi’s comment that the pope’s washing of women’s feet on Holy Thursday is 'absolutely licit' because it’s not a sacrament. Now, whatever one might finally conclude about the liceity of the pope’s action, it simply CANNOT be defended on the grounds that Lombardi uses.

"Consider: the homily is not a sacrament (obviously); the homily is optional at weekday Masses (c. 767 § 3); the homily is reserved to clerics (c. 767 § 1). Okay? So, if a priest decides, as a gesture of charity and to model Christ’s inclusivity, to allow a woman (well, any lay person) to preach the homily at a weekday Mass, is his action suddenly licit?

"And don’t tell us this does not really happen.

"We could multiply this example many times over, of course."

and his concluding paragraph:

"Law in the Church—canon, liturgical, sacramental, etc.—is not an end in itself, but instead serves greater ends. Yet, precisely as law, it cannot serve these purposes if it is ignored and/or explained away, two fates often suffered by law in antinomian times."

I recommend all posters in this thread take a look at the article and read it carefully. It is in line with common sense.

04/02/2013 new

Vatican II rocks.

04/02/2013 new

(Quote) Lynn-189934 said: Vatican II rocks.
(Quote) Lynn-189934 said:

Vatican II rocks.

--hide--
What does that mean boggled

Posts 11 - 20 of 78