Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 2nd 2013 new

eyelet is the material that has little tiny holes in it and they still make it

in fact last summer I bought a blouse that has eyelet trim on the bottom

Apr 2nd 2013 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I was in mass and noticed two little girls who were wearing black floral print dresses. I feel sad b...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Last night I was in mass and noticed two little girls who were wearing black floral print dresses. I feel sad because so many persons think black is a color and seem to think it is wearable on Easter Sunday. Some adults and their mom was wearing black in her ourtfit too.

These children will never know the beautiful dresses we girls grew up wearing that were made of beautiful fabrics and that have colors like light yellow, light blue, pink chiffon, and other beautiful linens and so on. OK maybe theyr will, but not like some of us from an earlier time did.

I can't believe how black is in so many boldly colored outfits and seems to be fashionable for many people. I will always love ditsy prints(small florals) and pastels in spring. I wore a light yellow top with a light pastel paisley skirt. I did nto buy it for the easter holiday, I already had it but I just wish some of the most feminine clothes would make a full comeback. I know some are trying to return.

There is a lot more feminine dresses that are back, now that I think about it- but I can't wrap my mind around dressing a child in black, even if there are flowers on the fabric.

--hide--

I know I'm guilty of wearing lots of black. However, I try NOT to wear black for Easter Sunday. Black is usually associated with mourning and funerals, so I don't like to see it worn on Easter Sunday when we are celebrating Jesus coming back to life. I love seeing people (wish it were everyone though) dressed up special for Easter, and it's so unfortunate that less people do that these days. I agree that it is more important that people, especially children, even go to mass. But the custom of dressing up in light colored clothes to celebrate the resurrection is certainly sweet and more appropriate IMHO.
Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I have no fashion sense. None. I only ever wear black, and the only colour in my outfits is usual...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I have no fashion sense. None. I only ever wear black, and the only colour in my outfits is usually the prints on my teeshirts - all bar one are Transformers related [the bar one is a zombie one ^__^]

I know the basics, don't mix primary colours, don't wear different prints top and bottom, don't mix horizontal and vertical lines, don't wear tights as pants, don't wear socks with sandals.

Plus, its hard to find good, modest clothing in my size. I mean, who thinks an outfit that looks great at size 10 would translate well to someone who's a size 26. [I'm not that big, I'm just using as an example, because that seems to be the trend, at least down here, common splice.

--hide--

The size thing is a pet peeve of mine...espeically since my feet are a size 10, and while the shoe looks adorable in a size six they simply made it longer for a larger size and, well thank you very much, now it makes my feet look as if they belong on a clown. lil mikie

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Sharon-885911 said: Two dresses stand out in my memory one was a pale yellow dotted swiss and the other pink rose fl...
(Quote) Sharon-885911 said:

Two dresses stand out in my memory one was a pale yellow dotted swiss and the other pink rose floral with a pink satin belt. I never cared much for hats, but I wore gloves a lot. I do remember having this one dress and I had a pill-box hat to match. For as far back as I can remember I have always been a clothes horse.

--hide--

I had a pale yellow dotted swiss or at least a pale yellow.
Later at the homecoming dance, sophomore year, I wore a beautiful pink dotted swiss dress. I kept the pink dress.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I was in mass and noticed two little gi...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Last night I was in mass and noticed two little girls who were wearing black floral print dresses. I feel sad because so many persons think black is a color and seem to think it is wearable on Easter Sunday. Some adults and their mom was wearing black in her ourtfit too.

These children will never know the beautiful dresses we girls grew up wearing that were made of beautiful fabrics and that have colors like light yellow, light blue, pink chiffon, and other beautiful linens and so on. OK maybe theyr will, but not like some of us from an earlier time did.

I can't believe how black is in so many boldly colored outfits and seems to be fashionable for many people. I will always love ditsy prints(small florals) and pastels in spring. I wore a light yellow top with a light pastel paisley skirt. I did nto buy it for the easter holiday, I already had it but I just wish some of the most feminine clothes would make a full comeback. I know some are trying to return.

There is a lot more feminine dresses that are back, now that I think about it- but I can't wrap my mind around dressing a child in black, even if there are flowers on the fabric.

I know I'm guilty of wearing lots of black. However, I try NOT to wear black for Easter Sunday. Black is usually associated with mourning and funerals, so I don't like to see it worn on Easter Sunday when we are celebrating Jesus coming back to life. I love seeing people (wish it were everyone though) dressed up special for Easter, and it's so unfortunate that less people do that these days. I agree that it is more important that people, especially children, even go to mass. But the custom of dressing up in light colored clothes to celebrate the resurrection is certainly sweet and more appropriate IMHO.
--hide--

Some people look excellent in black. If it suits you, you are lucky. I have to wear midnight black that is very dark navy, or navy, but I tolerate black on some occasions too. I purposely went to an evening mass because I can't stand the crowds of the morning masses on the Holy Days. I have no idea if people dress up at those now- I imagine some still do.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Sharon-885911 said: eyelet is the material that has little tiny holes in it and they still make itin fact la...

eyelet is the material that has little tiny holes in it and they still make it

in fact last summer I bought a blouse that has eyelet trim on the bottom

--hide--

Eyelet has come back in style and is seen a lot more now, especially this season. I have sewn beautiful outfits in eyelet and hope to again. I should hit the sewing store as I have a few things in mind that I simply cannot find! I like to wear a lot of white in the summer here as it is so hot.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Barbara-740721 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: That was one of my points. Thank you....
(Quote) Barbara-740721 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

That was one of my points. Thank you. I love when they are all in pastels and we even used to wear hats!

Did you also have little white gloves and a tiny cute purse with the hat and pastel dress? What nice memories!

--hide--

Somehow I don't know if I had the purse. I am also not sure about the gloves right now either. Did you have those?

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Kevin-40666 said: (Quote) Sharon-885911 said: ... one was a pale yellow dotted swiss ... ...
(Quote) Kevin-40666 said:

Quote:
Sharon-885911 said:

... one was a pale yellow dotted swiss ...

Is a swiss dresss one with holes in it ?

--hide--

Dotted swiss is usually slightly sheer and requires another layer lining it beneath, and has dots which are usually white or the same color as the fabric embroidered or pressed onto it. (I don't know how they make it.) Those fabrics are back for some of us... I have always thought white dotted swiss would make a very feminine wedding dress.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Sharon-885911 said: no it is material with little white dots on it I don't think they even make it any more ...

no it is material with little white dots on it I don't think they even make it any more

--hide--

They make it. There are blouses out there with it and some other items with it. (SUDDENLY I am wanting to go to the fabric store.)So I can make the items I cannot find right now!

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I was in mass and noticed two little gi...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

--hide--

Some people look excellent in black and even look better in black than in pastels. It can look really nice. you probably look beautiful in it!

Posts 21 - 30 of 104