Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Spiritual Director

04/02/2013 new

I've had a few different people independently suggest that I seek out a spiritual director, and for the past few months I have been on the lookout for a good fit. Finally I met the most gentle, humble old priest. His body is rather weak and thus he uses a walker, but his mind and memory are wonderfully sharp! We will begin this week to meet on a regular basis.

Do you have a spritual director? In what ways have you found this relationship to be helpful (especially with regards to vocation)? Any advice for me?

04/02/2013 new

Always a good question. A lot of people swear by it and many have managed to simply fufill this need by their parish priest and confessor -sometimes the same. I've had a spiritual director or two which was great at helping me balance life out and staying faithful as good as I could. If its in your heart - there is probably a reason for it. If you are attracted to that gentle old priest, there is probably a reason for it. If you don't force it - it usually works out well :)

04/02/2013 new

(Quote) Christine-894237 said: I've had a few different people independently suggest that I seek out a spiritual directo...
(Quote) Christine-894237 said:

I've had a few different people independently suggest that I seek out a spiritual director, and for the past few months I have been on the lookout for a good fit. Finally I met the most gentle, humble old priest. His body is rather weak and thus he uses a walker, but his mind and memory are wonderfully sharp! We will begin this week to meet on a regular basis.

Do you have a spritual director? In what ways have you found this relationship to be helpful (especially with regards to vocation)? Any advice for me?

--hide--

HOW DID YOU FIND HIM? I would love that! You are so blessed to have found him! theheart

04/02/2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: HOW DID YOU FIND HIM? I would love that! You are so blessed to have found him!
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

HOW DID YOU FIND HIM? I would love that! You are so blessed to have found him!

--hide--

Hi Marian! The Church I attend most regularly is home to 8 priests (8!) and I've had the pleasure recently of coming to know a few of them. This man is one of them.

04/02/2013 new

(Quote) Christine-894237 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: HOW DID YOU FIND HIM? I would love ...
(Quote) Christine-894237 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

HOW DID YOU FIND HIM? I would love that! You are so blessed to have found him!

Hi Marian! The Church I attend most regularly is home to 8 priests (8!) and I've had the pleasure recently of coming to know a few of them. This man is one of them.

--hide--

What a beautiful blessing! Dove Did they recommend him? I would like to find someone for this same reason.

04/02/2013 new

I've had a Spiritual Director for about six years. She is a retired counselor who worked with Child Protective Services. She has received specialized training as a Spiritual Director. I am a licensed Clinical Social Worker, so we are a good fit. I met with her monthly for the first two years and now we meet once or twice a year when I feel I need a "tune-up"or when I have spiritual questions . She has pointed me to excellent books, retreats, websites, Bible verses, Catechism passages, and classes. She has seen me through a divorce, an annulment, and the death of my mother and my former husband. Her advice has always been spot on. She is wonderful and has impacted my spiritual growth immeasurably.

04/02/2013 new

I had a wonderful priest spiritual director for about two years, and he moved to DC and it was a huge loss to me.

I had a nun who was also elderly and infirm thereafter, and she was very nice, but didn't help me as much.

I think that it's important to get spiritual direction only from a priest, an orthodox one at that.

And that is hard to find.

A SD is not a shrink; your discussion should center on the spiritual aspects of whatever you want to talk about. So, if you are upset to still be single, it's not about how to get a man. It's about what is my vocation? What indicates I am called to the vocation of marraige, versus being a nun? How do I not compromise my morals, if I want to get married and the world tells me I need to compromise? Etc.

You usually can't talk to them that often, so an hour a month or so is about all you can expect.

I hope it is a good fit for you!

04/02/2013 new

I know of several I can use, I have access to a lady who lives at the other end of the country, but God still works through a phone.

There's a few Priests who help direct me as well, but I kinda lose track of things and haven't seen either outside of Mass and Confession in a while.

I've always found them more useful for direction with the Gifts rather than "this is your vocation discernment" process.

04/02/2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I had a wonderful priest spiritual director for about two years, and he moved to DC and it was a huge...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I had a wonderful priest spiritual director for about two years, and he moved to DC and it was a huge loss to me.

I had a nun who was also elderly and infirm thereafter, and she was very nice, but didn't help me as much.

I think that it's important to get spiritual direction only from a priest, an orthodox one at that.

And that is hard to find.

A SD is not a shrink; your discussion should center on the spiritual aspects of whatever you want to talk about. So, if you are upset to still be single, it's not about how to get a man. It's about what is my vocation? What indicates I am called to the vocation of marraige, versus being a nun? How do I not compromise my morals, if I want to get married and the world tells me I need to compromise? Etc.

You usually can't talk to them that often, so an hour a month or so is about all you can expect.

I hope it is a good fit for you!

--hide--

Very helpful, Pat. I've had a few local nuns recommended to me, but their order isn't known for orthodoxy. For that reason I didn't follow through on those recommendations. I've taken the time to get to know this priest and I've asked for input from others who know him too. I will be sure to remember your advice.

04/02/2013 new

I used to have a spiritual director, a nun, but she got transfered and I have been very lax in finding a new one. I don't open up easily and I had a nice relationship before, we were friends so I'm gun-shy now about choosing some one else. My previous S.D was found through a retreat I did but I don't want to go that rout again even though it worked out great before.

Posts 1 - 10 of 13