Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 2nd 2013 new
Catholics have forgotten that when we celebrate a holiday we celebrate in every aspect of our lives. Spring cleaning is actually supposed to be done as a preparation for Christs rising from the dead.....we make out lives "anew". This includes our clothes. So if you can't afford new clothes. You clean up your old ones and shine shoes. My grandmother used to talk about how they would spend the entire day before getting themselves and their clothes ready for Easter. I still try to buy a new dress or skirt for Easter. Or at least reserve one for Easter. That's where the custom comes for not wearing white until Easter....because it's a sign of newness and purity.
Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: Catholics have forgotten that when we celebrate a holiday we celebrate in every aspect of our lives. S...
(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: Catholics have forgotten that when we celebrate a holiday we celebrate in every aspect of our lives. Spring cleaning is actually supposed to be done as a preparation for Christs rising from the dead.....we make out lives "anew". This includes our clothes. So if you can't afford new clothes. You clean up your old ones and shine shoes. My grandmother used to talk about how they would spend the entire day before getting themselves and their clothes ready for Easter. I still try to buy a new dress or skirt for Easter. Or at least reserve one for Easter. That's where the custom comes for not wearing white until Easter....because it's a sign of newness and purity.
--hide--

WOW! I love this. I agree with you and have been involved in an incredibly inspired cleaning blitz the last several days. As to the clothes too, I feel the same way and it means I am feeling good when I can pay attention to this aspect and celebrate Christ in this way! I appreciate your thoughts. Can you share more on this?

Apr 2nd 2013 new
I love dotted Swiss, I fact I love it in curtains too, this year I have my eye on a pair of curtains to buy. They look pretty on the windows, as well as wearing it.

I remember dressing up in beautiful dresses, blue, pink, yellow colors, along with a straw hat with ribbons and flowers to match the dress, gloves and a purse,with white sandals.

But, I never wore black dresses, only black patent shoes.

I love to wear hats, I wish more women would wear them to church.

Easter was a time to get all dressed up, no there weren't any black dresses around.
Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: I love dotted Swiss, I fact I love it in curtains too, this year I have my eye on a pair of curtains to ...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: I love dotted Swiss, I fact I love it in curtains too, this year I have my eye on a pair of curtains to buy. They look pretty on the windows, as well as wearing it.

I remember dressing up in beautiful dresses, blue, pink, yellow colors, along with a straw hat with ribbons and flowers to match the dress, gloves and a purse,with white sandals.

Easter was a time to get all dressed up, no there weren't any black dresses around.
--hide--

I think I would love dotted swiss curtains. Are they expensive? They would look beautiful! My hat was white straw with pink little roses on it. I have to ask my mom if she has it in the big hall closet that seems like it should have a trap door. I never wore a hat until I was maybe 6 or 7. I did not wear it for long. Cindy I think hats are making a comeback. Especially since the Duchess got married to Wills.

Apr 2nd 2013 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: I love dotted Swiss, I fact I love it in curtains too, this year I h...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Quote:
Cindy-534370 said: I love dotted Swiss, I fact I love it in curtains too, this year I have my eye on a pair of curtains to buy. They look pretty on the windows, as well as wearing it.

I think I would love dotted swiss curtains. Are they expensive? They would look beautiful! My hat was white straw with pink little roses on it. I have to ask my mom if she has it in the big hall closet that seems like it should have a trap door. I never wore a hat until I was maybe 6 or 7. I did not wear it for long. Cindy I think hats are making a comeback. Especially since the Duchess got married to Wills.

--hide--

Years ago my mom had dotted Swiss curtains in my bedroom, they are sheers and so dainty and pretty, they are not too expensive, I planned on getting some for spring and summer.

Yes, I too had natural color and white straw hats with ribbons and flowers and a straw purse to match, little white lace gloves, loved them.

Many people nowadays don't bother to get dressed up, it is rather sad, because it had special meanings to go church looking your best for God.

If you would dress like this now, we'll, some might think your off your rocker!
Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: I love dott...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Quote:
Cindy-534370 said: I love dotted Swiss, I fact I love it in curtains too, this year I have my eye on a pair of curtains to buy. They look pretty on the windows, as well as wearing it.

Years ago my mom had dotted Swiss curtains in my bedroom, they are sheers and so dainty and pretty, they are not too expensive, I planned on getting some for spring and summer.

Yes, I too had natural color and white straw hats with ribbons and flowers and a straw purse to match, little white lace gloves, loved them.

Many people nowadays don't bother to get dressed up, it is rather sad, because it had special meanings to go church looking your best for God.

If you would dress like this now, we'll, some might think your off your rocker!
--hide--

I think a few woman could at least get away with a nice dress or skirt but gloves, hat and matching purse would be over the top. Gloves and hat for sure would be over the top- and in dotted Swiss, forget it....

Maybe not the last part.

I wonder why women stopped wearing hats- Women's lib huh? It was feminism that destroyed some of this.

i remember when I left him in about 1978 and you could not even find a nice cotton dress to wear anymore because big man shoulder pads were starting to appear and blazers crazy First you had slinky tight disco dresses and then things morphed toward clothes that were supposed to show equality with men! crazy Pencil Skirts with big man shoulders....

I remember sewing a beautiful white floral print voile dress that I thought would work out but the print in the end appeared too big for me and I never liked how It looked on me. I lined it and everything! Gathered tops and dresses are coming back in again, though.

I think feminine spring clothes for women are trying to make a comeback.....

Not to mention that older women never dressed in dresses that intentionally had springy flowers on them and looked like maiden dresses, but now... it is seen more....

The only time we see gloves is in reference to a wedding now....

Apr 2nd 2013 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I was in mass and noticed two little girls who were wearing black floral print dresses. I feel sad b...

Last night I was in mass and noticed two little girls who were wearing black floral print dresses. I feel sad because so many persons think black is a color and seem to think it is wearable on Easter Sunday. Some adults and their mom was wearing black in her ourtfit too.

These children will never know the beautiful dresses we girls grew up wearing that were made of beautiful fabrics and that have colors like light yellow, light blue, pink chiffon, and other beautiful linens and so on. OK maybe theyr will, but not like some of us from an earlier time did.

I can't believe how black is in so many boldly colored outfits and seems to be fashionable for many people. I will always love ditsy prints(small florals) and pastels in spring. I wore a light yellow top with a light pastel paisley skirt. I did nto buy it for the easter holiday, I already had it but I just wish some of the most feminine clothes would make a full comeback. I know some are trying to return.

There is a lot more feminine dresses that are back, now that I think about it- but I can't wrap my mind around dressing a child in black, even if there are flowers on the fabric.

--hide--

Yes, the feminist movement! I was not involved in it, but had to live through it! Now look at what they done. Some good things happened and then some not some not so good. I prefer to have my cake and eat too....it's a women's prerogative! laughing
Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I was in mass and noticed two little girls ...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Last night I was in mass and noticed two little girls who were wearing black floral print dresses. I feel sad because so many persons think black is a color and seem to think it is wearable on Easter Sunday. Some adults and their mom was wearing black in her ourtfit too.

These children will never know the beautiful dresses we girls grew up wearing that were made of beautiful fabrics and that have colors like light yellow, light blue, pink chiffon, and other beautiful linens and so on. OK maybe theyr will, but not like some of us from an earlier time did.

I can't believe how black is in so many boldly colored outfits and seems to be fashionable for many people. I will always love ditsy prints(small florals) and pastels in spring. I wore a light yellow top with a light pastel paisley skirt. I did nto buy it for the easter holiday, I already had it but I just wish some of the most feminine clothes would make a full comeback. I know some are trying to return.

There is a lot more feminine dresses that are back, now that I think about it- but I can't wrap my mind around dressing a child in black, even if there are flowers on the fabric.

Yes, the feminist movement! I was not involved in it, but had to live through it! Now look at what they done. Some good things happened and then some not some not so good. I prefer to have my cake and eat too....it's a women's prerogative!
--hide--

The feminist movement altered womens fashions and took fashions in a million strange directions.

I was also never a part of it. UGH.

Apr 2nd 2013 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night...

Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Yes, the feminist movement! I was not involved in it, but had to live through it! Now look at what they done. Some good things happened and then some not some not so good. I prefer to have my cake and eat too....it's a women's prerogative!

The feminist movement altered womens fashions and took fashions in a million strange directions.

I was also never a part of it. UGH.

--hide--

It sure did...strange direction! I do know I will agree on taking the money part of, yes, pay me the same wages as he, if it is the same job, but I never said I wanted to go to work and support a family.I never said I would go to the Army and fight in the combat zone. I never said I wanted to pay child support or alimony. I never said I wanted to work on construction. I never said I would stop wearing dresses and high heels and lace and ribbons. I never said I would talk like a man. Well.......I never said.......I only said I'll take the money!
Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Sharon-885911 said: no it is material with little white dots on it I don't think they even make it any more ...
(Quote) Sharon-885911 said:

no it is material with little white dots on it I don't think they even make it any more

--hide--
Sharon, yes they still make dotted swiss and it is actually making comeback! They even have it for wedding gowns! Rock on! I used to wear the hats the gloves and all for Easter..oh wait I still do except for the gloves...although if I had the nerve I would wear them more often. I wore them to a wedding a couple of times and the other ladies loved it! Two years ago I wore a white hat for Easter and this year I wore spruce green. I love them! I wear dresses to church every week. If I go during the week I wear my work clothes as I am off to work after. Or in the evening on the way home. My three little neices two 6 year olds a two year old wore beautiful pastel dresses and such, with little purses and hat, so cute! The older ones didn't but they wore dresses. gardener Tartan Beret

Posts 31 - 40 of 104