Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

04/03/2013 new

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: "Go Ahead, I Dare You to Shoot!"
(Quote) Peter-449116 said: "Go Ahead, I Dare You to Shoot!"
--hide--

Peter, there is a tombstone in Pecos, Texas (you know, Judge Roy Bean - law West of the Pecos and all that stuff) that says: ________ (name), a gentleman gunslinger. He never killed a man that didn't need killing.

Mine - it's already carved in stone, in a beautiful cemetery in Paris, Texas, about 20 footsteps away from the statute of Jesus wearing cowboy boots.

04/03/2013 new

Hey, y'all -- watch this!

04/03/2013 new

I have to share this because I think it is one of the most beautiful monuments to life that I can ever remember seeing.

When I was working in Van Horn, Texas (about 90 miles East of El Paso), at the gateway to the Guadalupe mountain range, I spent many lunch hours in their local cemetery. Wierd, huh! But then, my work is living, quite literally in history, so I go to cemeteries often.

In any case, Van Horn is 98% ranch land economy, and 2% oil and natural gas. People in that community live and die on ranches that they and their ancestors grew up on. Many ranch hands (real cowboys) or perhaps most, cannot afford stone monuments. But - they are expert iron workers. The majority of monuments in that cemetery are wrought iron crosses, some very elaborate, some plain. The families will carve into small blocks of cement on the ground with names and dates, or even into blocks of wood. Upon these wrought iron crosses, they will place the cowboy's lariat, so that all throughout the cemetery there are these beautiful iron crosses with lariats in various stages of decay. The cemetery is directly beneath a mountain. One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

04/03/2013 new

"HEY! Don't stand there!!"

04/03/2013 new

Mine will be a very basic military headstone. Name, rank, branch, dates. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do like the following from Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. We read him in World Lit in high school. It made an impression back then as I remember it still today.

Ernest Hyde.

MY mind was a mirror:
It saw what it saw, it knew what it knew.
In youth my mind was just a mirror
In a rapidly flying car,
Which catches and loses bits of the landscape.
Then in time
Great scratches were made on the mirror,
Letting the outside world come in,
And letting my inner self look out.
For this is the birth of the soul in sorrow,
A birth with gains and losses.
The mind sees the world as a thing apart,
And the soul makes the world at one with itself.
A mirror scratched reflects no image—
And this is the silence of wisdom.

04/03/2013 new

"Please do not weep.....I'm catching up on all that sleep I lost with insomnia"

04/03/2013 new

When my ship came in I was at the airport.

04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: I have to share this because I think it is one of the most beautiful monuments to life that I c...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

I have to share this because I think it is one of the most beautiful monuments to life that I can ever remember seeing.

When I was working in Van Horn, Texas (about 90 miles East of El Paso), at the gateway to the Guadalupe mountain range, I spent many lunch hours in their local cemetery. Wierd, huh! But then, my work is living, quite literally in history, so I go to cemeteries often.

In any case, Van Horn is 98% ranch land economy, and 2% oil and natural gas. People in that community live and die on ranches that they and their ancestors grew up on. Many ranch hands (real cowboys) or perhaps most, cannot afford stone monuments. But - they are expert iron workers. The majority of monuments in that cemetery are wrought iron crosses, some very elaborate, some plain. The families will carve into small blocks of cement on the ground with names and dates, or even into blocks of wood. Upon these wrought iron crosses, they will place the cowboy's lariat, so that all throughout the cemetery there are these beautiful iron crosses with lariats in various stages of decay. The cemetery is directly beneath a mountain. One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

--hide--

Beverly, I love cemeteries, especially the one where most of my family is buried in Illinois! We spent alot of time there, when I was younger. And, strangely enough, I have fond memories. Those who live in the Chicago area may have heard of the Bride of Mount Carmel; my sister, cousins and I were always fascinated with her. Also, my father and grandparents are buried down the road from Al Capone, which I think is really cool! In any event, your cowboy cemetery looks fascinating!! I'd love to see something like that! Chelle

04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Chelle-924354 said: Beverly, I love cemeteries, especially the one where most of my family is buried in Illi...
(Quote) Chelle-924354 said:

Beverly, I love cemeteries, especially the one where most of my family is buried in Illinois! We spent alot of time there, when I was younger. And, strangely enough, I have fond memories. Those who live in the Chicago area may have heard of the Bride of Mount Carmel; my sister, cousins and I were always fascinated with her. Also, my father and grandparents are buried down the road from Al Capone, which I think is really cool! In any event, your cowboy cemetery looks fascinating!! I'd love to see something like that! Chelle

--hide--
Beverly and Chelle.....I agree with you. My parents are in a mausoleum at a Catholic Cemetery here in Dallas. It is peaceful there....and the cripts are just down the hall from the Blessed Sacrament. (on the First Saturday of every month....Mass is celebrated there)

Chelle, the "Capone" connection IS kind of neat. It made me think of the one at their cemetery. Conrad Hilton (of hotel fame) is buried on the grounds there. The cemetery adjacent to theirs....is a non-Catholic one. (I've not been inside though) But is the same one Bonnie Parker is buried in. (Bonnie and Clyde)

Posts 41 - 50 of 66