Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on the book of Acts. I am loving everything I am learning in the study especially the up close view of St Paul and what he must have been like. Last night we were on Chapter 22 where Paul shares his conversion in Hebrew with the Jews and people present.

Our leader asked us to share oiur conversion stories. One story that was shared was about a woman who got her teaching credential in about 2006 or so and tried working in the public schools and did not like it but then went to a local Christian school where there is a high school included.

One day she was doing study hall and heard the teens stating that Catholics are not Christians. She let it go but later it was coming up again and she confronted the teens gently and said yes we are Christians. The next thing she knew a 16 year old was 12 inches from her face telling her she was going to hell. How the encounter ended was unclear but she stood her ground.
Word spread and over night 2/3 of parents had called the school threatening to remove their children because a Catholic was teaching there.
This woman agreed to resign, if that was what the board wanted. They passed out a tract that showed some history of a Baptist relationship to Catholics and the lady said she understaood when reading that tract why there was such hatred.

The board and the Principal did decide she had to resign( and not return after Christmas). She did that.

This is illegal in our state but this is what she went through. She told the story with grace and with poise. She stated that she went through a renewed conversion after this had happened.

I found this story to be amazing. Unfortunately, there is a lot of the small mindedness prevalent in this part of California where I now reside. Amazing that they felt they could get her to resign based on this fact and not be sued. and Amazing that they could be so adamant that she could disrupt the environment.. sad

04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on the book of Acts. I am loving everything I am lear...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on the book of Acts. I am loving everything I am learning in the study especially the up close view of St Paul and what he must have been like. Last night we were on Chapter 22 where Paul shares his conversion in Hebrew with the Jews and people present.

Our leader asked us to share oiur conversion stories. One story that was shared was about a woman who got her teaching credential in about 2006 or so and tried working in the public schools and did not like it but then went to a local Christian school where there is a high school included.

One day she was doing study hall and heard the teens stating that Catholics are not Christians. She let it go but later it was coming up again and she confronted the teens gently and said yes we are Christians. The next thing she knew a 16 year old was 12 inches from her face telling her she was going to hell. How the encounter ended was unclear but she stood her ground.
Word spread and over night 2/3 of parents had called the school threatening to remove their children because a Catholic was teaching there.
This woman agreed to resign, if that was what the board wanted. They passed out a tract that showed some history of a Baptist relationship to Catholics and the lady said she understaood when reading that tract why there was such hatred.

The board and the Principal did decide she had to resign( and not return after Christmas). She did that.

This is illegal in our state but this is what she went through. She told the story with grace and with poise. She stated that she went through a renewed conversion after this had happened.

I found this story to be amazing. Unfortunately, there is a lot of the small mindedness prevalent in this part of California where I now reside. Amazing that they felt they could get her to resign based on this fact and not be sued. and Amazing that they could be so adamant that she could disrupt the environment..

--hide--
I'm weary of telling folks (usually fundamentalists) that no, we don't worship statues.

04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on the book of Acts. I am loving everything I am lear...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I found this story to be amazing. Unfortunately, there is a lot of the small mindedness prevalent in this part of California where I now reside. Amazing that they felt they could get her to resign based on this fact and not be sued. and Amazing that they could be so adamant that she could disrupt the environment..

--hide--

Marian, the title to this thread should be Jesus Versus Ignorance

My mother and I had an experience with our former neighbors in another part of Indiana that really had my mother in tears. She made baby blankets and we bought cute outfits for there newborn baby girl as well. One day we were burning a candle with an image of Our Lady of Guatalupe on it for our monsingnor who was having spinal surgery and praying for him, and she along with her teenage son stopped in. Her son saw the candle and pointed to it in front of his mother and I overheard her telling him that that stems from witchcraft and that they had to leave immediately. Little did we know we were being blasted as witches because of that. At Halloween no one would come near our home and we couldn't figure it out. The following monday while I was in class my mother took all of the candy to Parish office and the secretary fowarded it to the school for the teachers to handed it out as treats for the children. I caught on to it at an Ivy-Tech campus I was attending and at that time the Husband was also attending classes there. He went as far as to break the campus rules by using the computor to spread rumors around about my mother and I as being witches. The gutwrenching offense that my mother felt was enough to tempt me to post a sign in my front yard that said Jesus verses ignorance with an arrow next to the word ignorance pointing in the direction of our neighbors home. flamed

04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on ...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I'm weary of telling folks (usually fundamentalists) that no, we don't worship statues.

--hide--

I know. AMAZING. I had a Christian guy I dated in the 80's break up with me saying we worship Mary. I did not even argue- I figured that if he was that small minded he can move along.. and find someone else.

I get tired and don't bother to argue very often. If I ever get more training in that- I may decide to reply..someday.

04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on ...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

--hide--

I know. AMAZING. I had a Christian guy I dated in the 80's break up with me saying we worship Mary. I did not even argue- I figured that if he was that small minded he can move along.. and find someone else.

I get tired and don't bother to argue very often. If I ever get more training in that- I may decide to reply..someday.

04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I attended my Parish Bible study...
(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Marian, the title to this thread should be Jesus Versus Ignorance

My mother and I had an experience with our former neighbors in another part of Indiana that really had my mother in tears. She made baby blankets and we bought cute outfits for there newborn baby girl as well. One day we were burning a candle with an image of Our Lady of Guatalupe on it for our monsingnor who was having spinal surgery and praying for him, and she along with her teenage son stopped in. Her son saw the candle and pointed to it in front of his mother and I overheard her telling him that that stems from witchcraft and that they had to leave immediately. Little did we know we were being blasted as witches because of that. At Halloween no one would come near our home and we couldn't figure it out. The following monday while I was in class my mother took all of the candy to Parish office and the secretary fowarded it to the school for the teachers to handed it out as treats for the children. I caught on to it at an Ivy-Tech campus I was attending and at that time the Husband was also attending classes there. He went as far as to break the campus rules by using the computor to spread rumors around about my mother and I as being witches. The gutwrenching offense that my mother felt was enough to tempt me to post a sign in my front yard that said Jesus verses ignorance with an arrow next to the word ignorance pointing in the direction of our neighbors home.

--hide--

Elizabeth, I am shocked. I am more hurt by this stuff now than when I was younger. I think it is crazy. I know there are churches who believe that the Catholic Church is the **ore of Babylon. I can't write out the whole word -sorry. And they think we worship Mary. Some think we are into witchcraft, yes. As if the candle you had was Santeria--or just witchcraft.

Of course there are many Wiccans some of who may be foremer Catholics- so that does not help anyone.

04/03/2013 new

The whore of Babylon isn't the Catholic Church but it is definitely inside the Church, as it is inside Christian sects. Anyone who doubts this should spend hours reading BishopAccountability.org. In quite a few places the Church is being ripped apart by its own leaders. I have my doubts about what the Church in the US is to be honest. But in the end good wins out. Things will get better but it will take time.

04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: The whore of Babylon isn't the Catholic Church but it is definitely inside the Church, as it i...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

The whore of Babylon isn't the Catholic Church but it is definitely inside the Church, as it is inside Christian sects. Anyone who doubts this should spend hours reading BishopAccountability.org. In quite a few places the Church is being ripped apart by its own leaders. I have my doubts about what the Church in the US is to be honest. But in the end good wins out. Things will get better but it will take time.

--hide--

Yes. It seems to be about sex, doesn't it? Amazing.

04/04/2013 new

The bigger threat to Catholicism and Christianity is the the widespread teaching of psychology in our public schools. The etymology of the word psychology is the greek word "psykhe" which means "breath, spirit, soul" + "logia" which means "study of" so psychology is the study of the spirit or the soul. Sounds a lot like religion does and in fact a good argument can be made that psychology is really a secular religion...a religion that is often at odds with our Christian beliefs on fundamental topics such as the anthropology of man. For reference you could try Paul Vitz's book, "Psychology as Religion". One major difference, however, is that while we are forbidden from teaching our Christian faith in public schools, almost everyone ends up taking psychology classes...in fact they are even taught in high school now. Is it any wonder that we are losing our culture is turning anti-Catholic/Christian?

04/04/2013 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: The bigger threat to Catholicism and Christianity is the the widespread teaching of psychology in ou...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

The bigger threat to Catholicism and Christianity is the the widespread teaching of psychology in our public schools. The etymology of the word psychology is the greek word "psykhe" which means "breath, spirit, soul" + "logia" which means "study of" so psychology is the study of the spirit or the soul. Sounds a lot like religion does and in fact a good argument can be made that psychology is really a secular religion...a religion that is often at odds with our Christian beliefs on fundamental topics such as the anthropology of man. For reference you could try Paul Vitz's book, "Psychology as Religion". One major difference, however, is that while we are forbidden from teaching our Christian faith in public schools, almost everyone ends up taking psychology classes...in fact they are even taught in high school now. Is it any wonder that we are losing our culture is turning anti-Catholic/Christian?

--hide--

Since social work and Psychology is my field I will have to at least check this out. I will check on Amazon. I agree that Psychology is being pirated to push the sexual and LGBTQ agenda and that is not right but some very basic ideas in psychology are a help to many people such as working through a persons grief to get well and areas of brain studies on attachment and trauma( Physiology is close to Psychology especially when studying what happens to the brain and neurotransmitters) and how both affect the brain. Developmental psychology is something every student should learn if they intend to have children or work with them. Not all of psychology is some kind of weird mind manipulation or brainwashing method or philosophy. Nor is it all out there being used to control our citizenry. Not yet, and maybe never.

I am sorry to hear such a blanket statement on psychology. There are definite things everyone should learn about emotions, addiction, bonding and attachment, what their talents and aptitudes are, and things about depression and how to recognize when someone needs help because they are suicidal. Psychology has many many applications that do not destroy our faith and that are not at odds with our Catholic faith in any way. As a woman who upholds and follows the principals of chastity,and of our faith, I feel I can say this with knowledge.

There were streams of thought in psychology that don't really build anything or build on anything like grace or faith but I don't ascribe to them. One has to understand what and when any type of thinking or application would be appropriate. If it is not healing the person, why would it be appropriate? BUT alas I am going on too long.... I will look up the book. I think people who are outside the field think it is more than it really is--BUT let me research the book to see what is being said.

If you are talking about what the media is trying to do to us- well that is social psychology and that is different.

There are a number if things in support of faith and morals that I would like nothing more than to study and teach- to our young people and to any people--- especially around faith and morals.

I had a conversation today with a teen who discussed with me the topic of if we could do a study about teens and premarital sex what would we want to ask them? How well are they being taught why abstinence is best? (We know it is NOT being taught.Obama stopped funding for that!) How well are teens learning about STD's? Are they learning it too early and forgetting what they learned? right away? YES. There is just so much that we can do to help Dan, IMHO. We have to use it to fight back... link

What was the topic here? link You can tell I have a passion for this and these things...

Posts 1 - 10 of 94