Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: If I'm an unchartiable mood, I just respond with: You know the Bible's a Catholic book, r...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

If I'm an unchartiable mood, I just respond with: You know the Bible's a Catholic book, right?

And if I'm in a chartiable mood; You know the Bible's a Catholic book, right? *smilie face*

If I'm in a particuarly uncharitable mood: Catholic Church: Founded by Christ. Anglicans: Founded by a fat British, murderous adulter. Lutherans: founded by an excommunicated, anti-semitic man who fornicated. Which one are you part of again?

OR: So which one of the 40,000 Christian sects do you belong to? And tell me why you're in the right one?

Try as I might, even when I'm being chartitable I sound like a jerk. I just accept I'm as tactless as a punch in the face with a sack of hammers and move on. ^__^

--hide--
Naomi,
You have an awesome mind and attitude! Don't EVER change!

Apr 5th 2013 new
I have an answer that none of these so called "Christians" can counter.Simply this unless you are a ,Hindu, Muslim,Jewish or from Africa or Asia all your ancestors where Catholic they loose their minds!Sorry but it makes me happy!! THE POT STIRRER!
Apr 5th 2013 new
Naomi tu shai brilliant!! More ammunition!!
Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-925515 said: I have an answer that none of these so called "Christians" can counter.Simply this unless you ar...
(Quote) Tom-925515 said: I have an answer that none of these so called "Christians" can counter.Simply this unless you are a ,Hindu, Muslim,Jewish or from Africa or Asia all your ancestors where Catholic they loose their minds!Sorry but it makes me happy!! THE POT STIRRER!
--hide--

This sounds fun! stir the pot! Its getting cold!

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on ...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on the book of Acts. I am loving everything I am learning in the study especially the up close view of St Paul and what he must have been like. Last night we were on Chapter 22 where Paul shares his conversion in Hebrew with the Jews and people present.

Our leader asked us to share oiur conversion stories. One story that was shared was about a woman who got her teaching credential in about 2006 or so and tried working in the public schools and did not like it but then went to a local Christian school where there is a high school included.

One day she was doing study hall and heard the teens stating that Catholics are not Christians. She let it go but later it was coming up again and she confronted the teens gently and said yes we are Christians. The next thing she knew a 16 year old was 12 inches from her face telling her she was going to hell. How the encounter ended was unclear but she stood her ground.
Word spread and over night 2/3 of parents had called the school threatening to remove their children because a Catholic was teaching there.
This woman agreed to resign, if that was what the board wanted. They passed out a tract that showed some history of a Baptist relationship to Catholics and the lady said she understaood when reading that tract why there was such hatred.

The board and the Principal did decide she had to resign( and not return after Christmas). She did that.

This is illegal in our state but this is what she went through. She told the story with grace and with poise. She stated that she went through a renewed conversion after this had happened.

I found this story to be amazing. Unfortunately, there is a lot of the small mindedness prevalent in this part of California where I now reside. Amazing that they felt they could get her to resign based on this fact and not be sued. and Amazing that they could be so adamant that she could disrupt the environment..

At George Washington University's Catholic Student Center (their Newman Center), some students have begun a campaign to get rid of their Catholic Chaplain, Father Greg Shaffer. It seems Father had the audacity to preach the Catholic Church's teaching on abortion and homosexuality:

news.yahoo.com

Last year while gathering signatures as a circulator to have the "gay marriage" issue put on the ballot in the Peoples Republic of Maryland, I was discussing this anti-Catholic sentiment with another volunteer. Catholic teaching is being increasingly marginalized and being dismissed as "hate speech," and we agreed that the future for free speech does not look good.

--hide--

Father Greg Shaffer is a saint in my opinon. May God bless him in every way and strengthen him to continue to be true to our faith. I would love to meet a priest like that!

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Since social work and Psychology is my field I will have to at least check this out. I will check...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Since social work and Psychology is my field I will have to at least check this out. I will check on Amazon. I agree that Psychology is being pirated to push the sexual and LGBTQ agenda and that is not right but some very basic ideas in psychology are a help to many people such as working through a persons grief to get well and areas of brain studies on attachment and trauma( Physiology is close to Psychology especially when studying what happens to the brain and neurotransmitters) and how both affect the brain. Developmental psychology is something every student should learn if they intend to have children or work with them. Not all of psychology is some kind of weird mind manipulation or brainwashing method or philosophy. Nor is it all out there being used to control our citizenry. Not yet, and maybe never.

I am sorry to hear such a blanket statement on psychology. There are definite things everyone should learn about emotions, addiction, bonding and attachment, what their talents and aptitudes are, and things about depression and how to recognize when someone needs help because they are suicidal. Psychology has many many applications that do not destroy our faith and that are not at odds with our Catholic faith in any way. As a woman who upholds and follows the principals of chastity,and of our faith, I feel I can say this with knowledge.

There were streams of thought in psychology that don't really build anything or build on anything like grace or faith but I don't ascribe to them. One has to understand what and when any type of thinking or application would be appropriate. If it is not healing the person, why would it be appropriate? BUT alas I am going on too long.... I will look up the book. I think people who are outside the field think it is more than it really is--BUT let me research the book to see what is being said.

If you are talking about what the media is trying to do to us- well that is social psychology and that is different.

There are a number if things in support of faith and morals that I would like nothing more than to study and teach- to our young people and to any people--- especially around faith and morals.

I had a conversation today with a teen who discussed with me the topic of if we could do a study about teens and premarital sex what would we want to ask them? How well are they being taught why abstinence is best? (We know it is NOT being taught.Obama stopped funding for that!) How well are teens learning about STD's? Are they learning it too early and forgetting what they learned? right away? YES. There is just so much that we can do to help Dan, IMHO. We have to use it to fight back...

What was the topic here? You can tell I have a passion for this and these things...

--hide--

Marian, I agree with what you are saying...psychology is a very diverse field and enompasses many topics, not all of which are in conflict with the teachings of the Catholic Church. However, if psychology is the "study of human behavior" (dictionary.com), we need to be sure and understand that the Church has much to say about that topic as well. And when we examine human behavior, both our own and that of others, will we look to the Church for guidance or will we look to psychology instead.

Apr 5th 2013 new

I was with two Baptist coworkers; I'll call them a good one and a bad one. The bad one said to me that Catholics worship Mary. I said, "I've been a Catholic for ten years and never worshipped Mary, but I asked my pastor about it the other day. I said, 'Everyone tells me that us Catholics worship Mary. When are we going to start doing it?' Do you know what he said to me?" The bad one just gaped. The good one knew something was coming. "He said, 'Bob, we don't have time to worship her. We have all thse statues that need worshipping.'" The good one said, "You know all Baptists don't believe you worship Mary." I then went and talked with him about the fact that every faithful Catholic worships the Eucharist, but that the enemy won't let them accuse us of worshipping bread because we can prove that belief from Scripture. Sometimes (sometimes, but not always) these terrible situations are opportunities for us to educate and evangelize.

I think this article offers a good apologetic for those challenged that Catholics worship Our Blessed Mother.

catholic.net

Hang in there.

Bob

Apr 6th 2013 new
I remind them that the fundamental unifying aspect of christianity is the belief in the trinity.

And I mention that this belief was defended over the centuries in Catholic councils--before protestantism or evangelicals even existed as part of the christian family.

I ask them if on their own..from reading the bible.. they could clearly discern/discover for themselves

the knowledge of the Trinity that we as christians share.
Apr 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-726465 said: Hi Dan,I love that you mentioned Paul Vitz. I love him and have the utmost repect for...
(Quote) Elizabeth-726465 said:

Hi Dan,

I love that you mentioned Paul Vitz. I love him and have the utmost repect for him. I am a psychology major and am 2 classes away from getting my

degree. I have had so many roadblocks. My stories would make your skin crawl. I wanted to get my M.S. in Psych. as well , but truly, the more I study

it, the more I see how secular and twisted it can be. My M.S. will be in Health Sciences instead. great Post, Dan!!

--hide--

Elizabeth, have you ever heard of Catholic Psychology? If you are interested in psychology, I would suggest studying it from a Catholic perspective.

We must understand that all science is the fruit of a Catholic worldview and Catholic presumptions regarding the world. In short it means that the world is not animated by ghosts and spirits and mythical beings as the ancient Greeks and Romans believed. With these presumptions about the world, science would not make sense. It is the Catholic presumption of the world that the world as created by a Divine Being and as such was designed to work in an ordered fashion that has allowed science to flourish...science being the method we use to discover the order that God has designed into our world. Because of this faith and science can never conflict since they are both the pursuit of the same truth.

Here is a definition of Catholic Psychology from the following link.

www.catholicpsych.com

"What is a Catholic Psychologist then? JPII called mental health professionals to pursue their training in an atmosphere of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness. This means that a Catholic Psychologist is a person trained in the psychological sciences, who is also trained in Catholic philosophy and theology. A Catholic Psychologist believes that all truths are derived from the Source of truth, and therefore cannot contradict each other. Psychological principles can’t contradict theological or philosophical principles! If science is the pursuit of truth, and psychological science pursues psychological truth, then the truths arrived at through the study of the human psyche must coincide with principles already known to be true through philosophy and theology. Exciting new discoveries in brain imaging and other physical sciences also integrate perfectly with this bigger picture."

In addition to Paul Vitz's book, "Psychology as Religion, the Cult of Self Worship"...

www.amazon.com

another good book regarding psychology and religion is Fulton Sheen's "Peace of Soul"

www.amazon.com

Apr 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: In addition to Paul Vitz's book, "Psychology as Religion, the Cult of Self Worship"......
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

In addition to Paul Vitz's book, "Psychology as Religion, the Cult of Self Worship"...

www.amazon.com

another good book regarding psychology and religion is Fulton Sheen's "Peace of Soul"

www.amazon.com

--hide--

Another book which may be of some interest to those with a background in psychology and philosophy is Introduction to the Science of Mental Health by Fr. Chad Ripperger, Ph.D.

Posts 31 - 40 of 94