Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Since social work and Psychology is my field I wil...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Since social work and Psychology is my field I will have to at least check this out. I will check on Amazon. I agree that Psychology is being pirated to push the sexual and LGBTQ agenda and that is not right but some very basic ideas in psychology are a help to many people such as working through a persons grief to get well and areas of brain studies on attachment and trauma( Physiology is close to Psychology especially when studying what happens to the brain and neurotransmitters) and how both affect the brain. Developmental psychology is something every student should learn if they intend to have children or work with them. Not all of psychology is some kind of weird mind manipulation or brainwashing method or philosophy. Nor is it all out there being used to control our citizenry. Not yet, and maybe never.

I am sorry to hear such a blanket statement on psychology. There are definite things everyone should learn about emotions, addiction, bonding and attachment, what their talents and aptitudes are, and things about depression and how to recognize when someone needs help because they are suicidal. Psychology has many many applications that do not destroy our faith and that are not at odds with our Catholic faith in any way. As a woman who upholds and follows the principals of chastity,and of our faith, I feel I can say this with knowledge.

There were streams of thought in psychology that don't really build anything or build on anything like grace or faith but I don't ascribe to them. One has to understand what and when any type of thinking or application would be appropriate. If it is not healing the person, why would it be appropriate? BUT alas I am going on too long.... I will look up the book. I think people who are outside the field think it is more than it really is--BUT let me research the book to see what is being said.

If you are talking about what the media is trying to do to us- well that is social psychology and that is different.

There are a number if things in support of faith and morals that I would like nothing more than to study and teach- to our young people and to any people--- especially around faith and morals.

I had a conversation today with a teen who discussed with me the topic of if we could do a study about teens and premarital sex what would we want to ask them? How well are they being taught why abstinence is best? (We know it is NOT being taught.Obama stopped funding for that!) How well are teens learning about STD's? Are they learning it too early and forgetting what they learned? right away? YES. There is just so much that we can do to help Dan, IMHO. We have to use it to fight back...

What was the topic here? You can tell I have a passion for this and these things...

Marian, I agree with what you are saying...psychology is a very diverse field and enompasses many topics, not all of which are in conflict with the teachings of the Catholic Church. However, if psychology is the "study of human behavior" (dictionary.com), we need to be sure and understand that the Church has much to say about that topic as well. And when we examine human behavior, both our own and that of others, will we look to the Church for guidance or will we look to psychology instead.

--hide--

Websters Encyclopedic Dictionary of the English Language (The Book)says:

Psychology 1) The science of the mind or mental states and processes 2)The science of human and animal behavior 3) The sum of charateristics of mental states and processes of a person or class of persons or of mental states involved in a field of activity: the psychology of a soldier; the psychology of politics 4) Mental ploys or strategy: He used psychology on his parents to get a larger allowance.

Psychology is not just whatever the author you mentioned says it is. I am not sensing that the author really knows what the heart of psychology is about. In my opinion that author has a bone to pick and has something specific that is motivating him to speak out in such an adamant BLACK and WHITE way against Psychology...

I do not think there is any harm in learning how to analyze human behavior and looking at persons using those skills. I still do not think doing that is in direct contradiction to any tenets of the Catholic faith. I think this author you mentioned has something else going on- One of those things could be that he has been around atheists(back when he was one) who he knows are trying to gain control- as he himself used to be one-
but I think that to think,

"We either look to that catholic church to understand other people or else we will look to psychology..."Is neither true and not wrong if it were. Again psychology for those who are in the field is much more vast and deep than this author has led you and his followers to believe.

I don't mean to be offensive or argue because I can't stand doing that here and strongly dislike when persons get snarky. I just think there are deeper things to look at, that the author does not believe in. I have my training and love how it works and he has a reason for what he believes and what he does not believe in. Just because he wrote a book, does not make him right.

One of his former students has a review of his book and admits that back when this guy was an atheist in the late 70's, he would humiliate his students at NYU who did not agree with him in front of 100's of students if they asked a question or questioned him. I think the guy has issues. His book was written in 1977, which makes it out of date in several areas of study, and even his revision is out of date IMHO and he seems to comment on not the heart of the practice of psychology- which he is nto knowledgable of, but his belief that psychology is trying to change the world. he speaks as an outsider to the study of psych, IMHO.

YES- There are wealthy donors who are pirating psychology to IMPOSE in STAGES the gay agenda on us (I absolutely believe this and believe this is social engineering) and mingle it with pop culture.

Psychology in an of itself is not trying to change the world IMHO. It does not have as many venues with which to directly change the world, as this author says. POP CULTURE is what is trying to take over peoples thinking. That is where the poison is. Pop culture is trying to change the world IMHO. Social Engineering is what is going on and is what is trying to change people, children, familes, marriage, ect.

I don't know if I made sense to you but I may decide to get his book only as an ebook.

One of my friends is doing DEEP reading of how the NAZIS took over Germany and he is observing that something very sinister is going on in this country YES. I thinkkwe agree on that something sinsiter is going on but not from where it is originating- perhaps.

In fact we were discussing it last night and he brought up stages of influencing people or did someone bring it up here? But I think you and I are on a little different tangent... which is fine...

You should get a DVD called A Black genocide put out by MAAFA. Google it.

If you see that DVD or watch on Youtube then you might see how influence comes from funding and exposing people to something over and over and then finally imposing it and taking away freedoms like we have been discussing in other threads...

I am separating the social psychology part from other uses of it.

Sorry I went on so long!

Apr 6th 2013 new

Marian,

Might try this link on Catholic Psychology...it probably makes the point better than I do...

www.catholicpsych.com

Another good book about the relationship between religion and psychology is Fulton Sheen's Peace of Soul...

www.amazon.com

A comment from a reader of Fulton Sheen's "Peace of Soul"...

"I read Fulton Sheen's book a couple of years ago. While rereading it, many things come back to me which have pointed my life away from depending on the material, the immoral and the un-helpful ways of finding peace in friends and psychiatrists who have just about tried to separate me from the true faith Catholicism and to separate me from Jesus Christ. I find it quite interesting that the chapter of his where he compares psychology vs faith in the Healing Physician (ie Jesus Christ Himself) is very much the core of why people keep going to their shrinks when they might do better going to Holy Mass and meditating on where their souls are at the present time. My biggest recommendation to all is that our souls are the highest possession we have from God above, and that in communing with His Son and the Saints (esp Fulton Sheen, because I know he is in heaven and should be a saint) is our passport to heaven. I feel much gratitude to Fulton J Sheen, and will always be indebted to him and his teachings for where I am and who I am now. Peaceable and contemplative. "

Apr 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Websters Encyclopedic Dictionary of the English Language (The Book)says:Psychology 1)...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Psychology 1) The science of the mind or mental states and processes 2)The science of human and animal behavior 3) The sum of charateristics of mental states and processes of a person or class of persons or of mental states involved in a field of activity: the psychology of a soldier; the psychology of politics 4) Mental ploys or strategy: He used psychology on his parents to get a larger allowance.

Psychology is not just whatever the author you mentioned says it is. I am not sensing that the author really knows what the heart of psychology is about. In my opinion that author has a bone to pick and has something specific that is motivating him to speak out in such an adamant BLACK and WHITE way against Psychology...

I do not think there is any harm in learning how to analyze human behavior and looking at persons using those skills. I still do not think doing that is in direct contradiction to any tenets of the Catholic faith. I think this author you mentioned has something else going on- One of those things could be that he has been around atheists(back when he was one) who he knows are trying to gain control- as he himself used to be one-

"We either look to that catholic church to understand other people or else we will look to psychology..."Is neither true and not wrong if it were. Again psychology for those who are in the field is much more vast and deep than this author has led you and his followers to believe.

I don't mean to be offensive or argue because I can't stand doing that here and strongly dislike when persons get snarky. I just think there are deeper things to look at, that the author does not believe in. I have my training and love how it works and he has a reason for what he believes and what he does not believe in. Just because he wrote a book, does not make him right.

One of his former students has a review of his book and admits that back when this guy was an atheist in the late 70's, he would humiliate his students at NYU who did not agree with him in front of 100's of students if they asked a question or questioned him. I think the guy has issues. His book was written in 1977, which makes it out of date in several areas of study, and even his revision is out of date IMHO and he seems to comment on not the heart of the practice of psychology- which he is nto knowledgable of, but his belief that psychology is trying to change the world. he speaks as an outsider to the study of psych, IMHO.

YES- There are wealthy donors who are pirating psychology to IMPOSE in STAGES the gay agenda on us (I absolutely believe this and believe this is social engineering) and mingle it with pop culture.

Psychology in an of itself is not trying to change the world IMHO. It does not have as many venues with which to directly change the world, as this author says. POP CULTURE is what is trying to take over peoples thinking. That is where the poison is. Pop culture is trying to change the world IMHO. Social Engineering is what is going on and is what is trying to change people, children, familes, marriage, ect.

I don't know if I made sense to you but I may decide to get his book only as an ebook.

One of my friends is doing DEEP reading of how the NAZIS took over Germany and he is observing that something very sinister is going on in this country YES. I thinkkwe agree on that something sinsiter is going on but not from where it is originating- perhaps.

In fact we were discussing it last night and he brought up stages of influencing people or did someone bring it up here? But I think you and I are on a little different tangent... which is fine...

If you see that DVD or watch on Youtube then you might see how influence comes from funding and exposing people to something over and over and then finally imposing it and taking away freedoms like we have been discussing in other threads...

Sorry I went on so long!

--hide--

Marian, I have seen MAAFA 21 and I understand what you mean regarding Black genocide. It is truly insidious and self destructive to not only the black culture in our country, but to the entire country as well.

Apr 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: Marian,Might try this link on Catholic Psychology...it probably makes the point better than ...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

Marian,

Might try this link on Catholic Psychology...it probably makes the point better than I do...

www.catholicpsych.com

Another good book about the relationship between religion and psychology is Fulton Sheen's Peace of Soul...

www.amazon.com

"I read Fulton Sheen's book a couple of years ago. While rereading it, many things come back to me which have pointed my life away from depending on the material, the immoral and the un-helpful ways of finding peace in friends and psychiatrists who have just about tried to separate me from the true faith Catholicism and to separate me from Jesus Christ. I find it quite interesting that the chapter of his where he compares psychology vs faith in the Healing Physician (ie Jesus Christ Himself) is very much the core of why people keep going to their shrinks when they might do better going to Holy Mass and meditating on where their souls are at the present time. My biggest recommendation to all is that our souls are the highest possession we have from God above, and that in communing with His Son and the Saints (esp Fulton Sheen, because I know he is in heaven and should be a saint) is our passport to heaven. I feel much gratitude to Fulton J Sheen, and will always be indebted to him and his teachings for where I am and who I am now. Peaceable and contemplative. "

--hide--

I will definitely look into it.

Apr 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Websters Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Englis...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Sorry I went on so long!

Marian, I have seen MAAFA 21 and I understand what you mean regarding Black genocide. It is truly insidious and self destructive to not only the black culture in our country, but to the entire country as well.

--hide--

The origins of that movement are Margaret Sanger and the Eugenics movement which are connected to the Nazi ideology.

Apr 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: If I'm an unchartiable mood, I just respond with: You know the Bible's a Catholic book, r...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

If I'm an unchartiable mood, I just respond with: You know the Bible's a Catholic book, right?

And if I'm in a chartiable mood; You know the Bible's a Catholic book, right? *smilie face*

If I'm in a particuarly uncharitable mood: Catholic Church: Founded by Christ. Anglicans: Founded by a fat British, murderous adulter. Lutherans: founded by an excommunicated, anti-semitic man who fornicated. Which one are you part of again?

OR: So which one of the 40,000 Christian sects do you belong to? And tell me why you're in the right one?

Try as I might, even when I'm being chartitable I sound like a jerk. I just accept I'm as tactless as a punch in the face with a sack of hammers and move on. ^__^

--hide--

When I was protestant it never dawned on me to question where we got the New Testament. It did bother me that there were so many denominations and how did I know mine was the correct denomination. If Sola Scriptura was correct why did we need study bibles with commentary?

If everything has to be in the bible which verse gave Luther the authority to disagree with Rome and start his own church?

I doubt very much you sound like a jerk, as you say. I think it's best that you ask them questions they must ponder because it may one day lead them home. Just my thoughts.

Apr 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on the book of Acts. I am loving everything I am lear...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on the book of Acts. I am loving everything I am learning in the study especially the up close view of St Paul and what he must have been like. Last night we were on Chapter 22 where Paul shares his conversion in Hebrew with the Jews and people present.

Our leader asked us to share oiur conversion stories. One story that was shared was about a woman who got her teaching credential in about 2006 or so and tried working in the public schools and did not like it but then went to a local Christian school where there is a high school included.

One day she was doing study hall and heard the teens stating that Catholics are not Christians. She let it go but later it was coming up again and she confronted the teens gently and said yes we are Christians. The next thing she knew a 16 year old was 12 inches from her face telling her she was going to hell. How the encounter ended was unclear but she stood her ground.
Word spread and over night 2/3 of parents had called the school threatening to remove their children because a Catholic was teaching there.
This woman agreed to resign, if that was what the board wanted. They passed out a tract that showed some history of a Baptist relationship to Catholics and the lady said she understaood when reading that tract why there was such hatred.

The board and the Principal did decide she had to resign( and not return after Christmas). She did that.

This is illegal in our state but this is what she went through. She told the story with grace and with poise. She stated that she went through a renewed conversion after this had happened.

I found this story to be amazing. Unfortunately, there is a lot of the small mindedness prevalent in this part of California where I now reside. Amazing that they felt they could get her to resign based on this fact and not be sued. and Amazing that they could be so adamant that she could disrupt the environment..

--hide--

Well, they shouldn't have fired her due to the fact that she talked about religion a Christian school. In fact, the student should have been in trouble for getting several inches in a teacher's face and then saying that she is going to hell. That is complete disrespect on the child's part and she most certainly deserved some kind of discipline, such as detention. If I were her, I would have fought that. But alas, the parents and students seem to trump teachers these days.

Apr 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Marita-847688 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on...
(Quote) Marita-847688 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on the book of Acts. I am loving everything I am learning in the study especially the up close view of St Paul and what he must have been like. Last night we were on Chapter 22 where Paul shares his conversion in Hebrew with the Jews and people present.

Our leader asked us to share oiur conversion stories. One story that was shared was about a woman who got her teaching credential in about 2006 or so and tried working in the public schools and did not like it but then went to a local Christian school where there is a high school included.

One day she was doing study hall and heard the teens stating that Catholics are not Christians. She let it go but later it was coming up again and she confronted the teens gently and said yes we are Christians. The next thing she knew a 16 year old was 12 inches from her face telling her she was going to hell. How the encounter ended was unclear but she stood her ground.
Word spread and over night 2/3 of parents had called the school threatening to remove their children because a Catholic was teaching there.
This woman agreed to resign, if that was what the board wanted. They passed out a tract that showed some history of a Baptist relationship to Catholics and the lady said she understaood when reading that tract why there was such hatred.

The board and the Principal did decide she had to resign( and not return after Christmas). She did that.

This is illegal in our state but this is what she went through. She told the story with grace and with poise. She stated that she went through a renewed conversion after this had happened.

I found this story to be amazing. Unfortunately, there is a lot of the small mindedness prevalent in this part of California where I now reside. Amazing that they felt they could get her to resign based on this fact and not be sued. and Amazing that they could be so adamant that she could disrupt the environment..

Well, they shouldn't have fired her due to the fact that she talked about religion a Christian school. In fact, the student should have been in trouble for getting several inches in a teacher's face and then saying that she is going to hell. That is complete disrespect on the child's part and she most certainly deserved some kind of discipline, such as detention. If I were her, I would have fought that. But alas, the parents and students seem to trump teachers these days.

--hide--

I posted it because it confirmed to me how small minded many persons are in this area of California where I live. In general people are less knowledgable and there is a lot of poverty, crime and less sophistication. This is not a cultural hub in my opinion like LA or SF. Some of you here would like it because it is a conservative area. Personally I don't like that aspect of small minded bigotry that seems to exit here. People just accept what they already know and don't try to learn what is really true. That said, It is not as bad as I am saying but for me- I have lived both in LA and near SF and I am used to people who are more sophisticated in their education about the people around them with whom they rub shoulders.

Apr 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Marita-847688 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on...
(Quote) Marita-847688 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

--hide--

The parents literally pushed this teacher out. That tells you something about the people associated with that school. For the parents to allow the children to be so disrespectful as to argue about who is going to heaven etc and to allow thos ekids to think they are right tells you about a certain brand of evengelicalism which is a small minded way of thinking.

She did say the other teachers were shocked and knew nothing about it- I am going to ask her more this coming week. Also I am going to ask how the other teachers reacted. My sister was considering sending her boys there. They would have been treated poorly for being Catholic. CAn you imagine? crazy

Apr 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: Marian,Might try this link on Catholic Psychology...it probably makes the point better than ...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

Marian,

www.catholicpsych.com

www.amazon.com

--hide--

I belong to a group where we read Augustine, Aquinas, Pope Benedict, Josef Pieper and other philosophers in theologyand philosophy both from original sources and through a Communio Journal. Through this, I have become an active student of theology and philosophy, (history, church history etc..) which is mentioned in the description of a Catholic Psychologist. I plan to learn MUCH more about what you posted. Thank you SO MUCH!! Keep me posted on other issues!

Posts 41 - 50 of 94