Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

www.breitbart.com

The outspoken mayor of NYC wants to see the size of soda cups kept to under 16 ounces. Even though the
American Public is not happy about that, does he have a well-taken point to his approach on obesity?

Should food-stamp recipients be able to buy soda and those ever-addictive chips with their minimal
food stamp allowance?

This is something we should take seriously. Maybe these types of junk food should be banned from
being purchased by Food Stamp recipients? Food stamps should buy nourishing food for families. Chips
and soda are expensive and consume much of the allowance the family is allotted for food.

What are your thoughts? I bet this one will come under the heading "Discrimination of Food Stamp
Recipients!"



Apr 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: www.breitbart.com.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

www.breitbart.com

The outspoken mayor of NYC wants to see the size of soda cups kept to under 16 ounces. Even though the
American Public is not happy about that, does he have a well-taken point to his approach on obesity?

Should food-stamp recipients be able to buy soda and those ever-addictive chips with their minimal
food stamp allowance?

This is something we should take seriously. Maybe these types of junk food should be banned from
being purchased by Food Stamp recipients? Food stamps should buy nourishing food for families. Chips
and soda are expensive and consume much of the allowance the family is allotted for food.

What are your thoughts? I bet this one will come under the heading "Discrimination of Food Stamp
Recipients!"



--hide--
Or even worse...Welfare withdrawals occur at bars, sex shops, and strip clubs.

newsfeed.time.com
Apr 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Or even worse...Welfare withdrawals occur at bars, sex shops, and strip clubs. http://newsfeed.time...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Or even worse...Welfare withdrawals occur at bars, sex shops, and strip clubs.



newsfeed.time.com
--hide--
"Now, Orlando-area State Sen. Andy Gardiner has introduced a new ban that would prohibit EBT cards from being used in liquor stores, strip clubs, dog racing tracks, mega casinos, strip mall casinos and other gaming establishments.

First-time violators would be kicked out of the EBT card program for six months. With three violations, recipients would be barred permanently from the program.

A similar bill passed the State House of Representatives last year but never got to the Senate floor.

But because this new bill was initiated by a senator, it may fare better."

www.wftv.com
Apr 9th 2013 new

I think that the "nanny state' that provides the benefits in the first place make it even worse by dictating what you can buy with it.

I think it would be better for all concerned, but I am not into government interfering in our personal choices.

Apr 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I think that the "nanny state' that provides the benefits in the first place make it even worse by dictati...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I think that the "nanny state' that provides the benefits in the first place make it even worse by dictating what you can buy with it.



I think it would be better for all concerned, but I am not into government interfering in our personal choices.

--hide--
Are you referencing the soda and chips (junk food) or even the cases of welfare money being used for bars, strip clubs, casinos? Regarding the later, I feel that if someone wants "free money" under the auspices of presenting an alleged dire need for food, shelter, and basic necessities, the recipient should be required to abide by reasonable "terms of agreements" in line with the purpose of the free monetary award. It's immoral/stealing to apply/receive "free money" for supposed survival and use it for casinos, bars, strip and sex clubs. And if they don't like the "terms of agreement" nobody is forcing them to apply for/receive free money. Let them go to work and use their money for strip clubs and bars.

Some of these welfare recipients use the money for things such as regular manicures, cell phones, expensive purses, etc. instead of feeding their children. The children come to school hungry.
Apr 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: www.breitbart.com.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

www.breitbart.com

The outspoken mayor of NYC wants to see the size of soda cups kept to under 16 ounces. Even though the
American Public is not happy about that, does he have a well-taken point to his approach on obesity?

Should food-stamp recipients be able to buy soda and those ever-addictive chips with their minimal
food stamp allowance?

This is something we should take seriously. Maybe these types of junk food should be banned from
being purchased by Food Stamp recipients? Food stamps should buy nourishing food for families. Chips
and soda are expensive and consume much of the allowance the family is allotted for food.

What are your thoughts? I bet this one will come under the heading "Discrimination of Food Stamp
Recipients!"



--hide--
Your posted reminded me of this controversial hip-hop song -

MY EBT - www.youtube.com

en.wikipedia.org
Apr 9th 2013 new

I understand there is personal freedom. But, if my taxes re going for foodstamps for kids, it would be ridiculous for me to agree with the parents buying soda and junk for them. I am an endocrinologist and take care of children with obesity with all this complications, diabetes, high cholesterol
and early puberty....lots of other things.

Current situation: children as young as 8 are getting diagnosed with adult onset DM caused by obesity (used to be in 40th) - it decreases lifespan drastically, increased risk of cancer, heart disease, stroke, infertility, joint problems and causes huge medical expenses that will continue to increase.

So, if you let parents buy junk food for foodstamps that everyone pays for, kids will get more obese, will have low vitamin D that needs to be treated.... I dont know who will pay for our retirement if the kids gets complications of diabetes and medical expenses are high.

Just an idea that personal freedom has consequences in this case....

Apr 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Or even worse...Welfare withdrawals occur at bars, sex shops, and strip clubs. http://newsfeed.ti...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Or even worse...Welfare withdrawals occur at bars, sex shops, and strip clubs.

newsfeed.time.com
--hide--
The harried and put upon taxpayer should definitely have some say in the matter. If caught spending "other peoples money" in bars and strip joints, recipients should be cut off!

Apr 9th 2013 new

Famililies on food stamps should be able to buy snacks, drinks and candy. Why would anyone want to deprive a child? I am sure every parent has bought candy for their child. Why not them also? hersheyskiss cookie cookie hersheyskiss goldfish heart heart cookie hersheyskiss goldfish :cake: :cake:

Apr 9th 2013 new
The money is for necessities not extras! If you have extra money, you buy extras. If they have money for the necessities, you don't NEED money given to you.
Posts 1 - 10 of 121