Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

How many of you too picky when it comes to dating? Either the person is too tall or short, thin or heavyset, young or old etc..
04/09/2013 new

I am not picky that way.

I am picky about morals, faith, marital status, work style, but beyond that, I am pretty open minded.

I think you can have at most 3-5 non negotiables and the rest you have to be open to.

04/09/2013 new

+

J.M.J.

I have been told I'm too picky at times, but often times these comments come from friends who are miserable in their marriages. I'm not nearly as worried abou the physical aspect of someone. (I'm a really active person, so I'd want my spouse to love riding bikes, hiking, and swimming with me, but I don't care about any physical traits if he's able to do this too). My pickiness usually comes from things related to the Faith. . . For instance, I love the Latin Mass dearly and want to share that with my husband. Modesty in dress, clean entertainment for the whole family, etc. Those are things I really won't change on and are also harder to find at times. It's finding someone that really wants to work hard toward sanctity that I'm picky about!

04/09/2013 new
(Quote) Mariette-959211 said: + J.M.J. I have been told I'm too picky at times, but often times these...
(Quote) Mariette-959211 said:

+

J.M.J.

I have been told I'm too picky at times, but often times these comments come from friends who are miserable in their marriages. I'm not nearly as worried abou the physical aspect of someone. (I'm a really active person, so I'd want my spouse to love riding bikes, hiking, and swimming with me, but I don't care about any physical traits if he's able to do this too). My pickiness usually comes from things related to the Faith. . . For instance, I love the Latin Mass dearly and want to share that with my husband. Modesty in dress, clean entertainment for the whole family, etc. Those are things I really won't change on and are also harder to find at times. It's finding someone that really wants to work hard toward sanctity that I'm picky about!

--hide--

Wow, I don't even know the Latin Mass and I'm 33.
04/09/2013 new
I've found that a lot of people say they're not picky when it comes to it, but they really are and more so because they care about what society thinks.
04/09/2013 new

+

J.M.J.

What society thinks of me really isn't my business. If you take the Litany of Humility to heart, hard as that is every day, then what society would think about someone doesn't really matter. It's God's judgement of your life and the partner you choose that really matters then. :-)

Never been to the Latin Mass? You should go sometime. It's beautiful! :-)

04/09/2013 new
(Quote) Mariette-959211 said: + J.M.J. What society thinks of me really isn't my business. If you tak...
(Quote) Mariette-959211 said:

+

J.M.J.

What society thinks of me really isn't my business. If you take the Litany of Humility to heart, hard as that is every day, then what society would think about someone doesn't really matter. It's God's judgement of your life and the partner you choose that really matters then. :-)

Never been to the Latin Mass? You should go sometime. It's beautiful! :-)

--hide--

Well you have a great outlook on society. A lot of people don't. For me I couldn't care less if a woman is taller than me, or if she's a few extra pounds or even if she's older. But now when it comes down to asking them if they agree with me on that one you'll see heads turning away. lol.
04/09/2013 new

+

J.M.J.

Hehe. I think so much of this is that we've come to regard society as the end all. . . but you know what, "society" crucified Christ. The mob yelled for His execution. One of my favorite quotes from my pastor was when he said "You know who just goes with the flow? Dead bodies?" Just because we're going with the flow and trying to make ourselves look as great as possible in the culture's eyes doesn't mean we're doing it right. ;-)

04/09/2013 new

(Quote) Frank-410833 said: How many of you too picky when it comes to dating? Either the person is too tall or short, thin or heavy...
(Quote) Frank-410833 said: How many of you too picky when it comes to dating? Either the person is too tall or short, thin or heavyset, young or old etc..
--hide--

I'm not too picky. Just picky enough. wink

I'm reasonably broad-minded and flexible, but I'm done being pressured into going against my gut feeling in the name of "not being too picky." (The dating horror stories... Yikes.) A little bit of discernment is a good thing.

Nonetheless, there will always be someone around who will tell you that if you're single it must be because you're too picky. Or that you'll find someone when you stop looking. Or that you won't find someone unless you're looking. rolling eyes Whatever it is you're doing, someone somewhere will find something wrong with it.

Take a good look at yourself and examine all criticism to see if there is any truth in it, but trust your own judgement too.

04/09/2013 new

I'm only "picky" about Catholic faith and morals. I think a lot of "pickiness' comes from being overly cautious in this modern, secular world. Because there are no common principles in our society and no real standards of behavior, I believe single Catholics who attempt to live their faith well tend to be cautious about meeting other singles and look for signs of "trouble" even as they hold out hope for the future.

Posts 1 - 10 of 61