Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

04/09/2013 new

ahh, whatever you say!

04/09/2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: www.breitbart.com.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

www.breitbart.com

The outspoken mayor of NYC wants to see the size of soda cups kept to under 16 ounces. Even though the
American Public is not happy about that, does he have a well-taken point to his approach on obesity?

Should food-stamp recipients be able to buy soda and those ever-addictive chips with their minimal
food stamp allowance?

This is something we should take seriously. Maybe these types of junk food should be banned from
being purchased by Food Stamp recipients? Food stamps should buy nourishing food for families. Chips
and soda are expensive and consume much of the allowance the family is allotted for food.

What are your thoughts? I bet this one will come under the heading "Discrimination of Food Stamp
Recipients!"

--hide--

Bloomberg should know, like any good member of the lumpenproletariat.

04/09/2013 new

(Quote) Helen-881220 said: ahh, whatever you say!
(Quote) Helen-881220 said:

ahh, whatever you say!

--hide--
Helen, many years ago when my two stepsons were little and my wife was making little more than minimum wage, I lost my job and was out of work for nearly six months. When you have little ones to feed and a morgage to pay, you do what you have to do - I went on unemployment and we got food stamps. I can empathize with those who are struggling in these difficult times, which is why I deliver food to struggling families twice a week through the Knights of Columbus and the St. Vincent dePaul Society. I agree with you about buying treats for children as long as they are receiving good nutrition otherwise. Perhaps they can find a way to limit junk food purchases with bar codes somehow. If some are spending their welfare money in bars and on adult entertainment that is a different kettle of fish, and those folks need to be removed from the rolls.

04/09/2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: www.breitbart.com.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

www.breitbart.com

The outspoken mayor of NYC wants to see the size of soda cups kept to under 16 ounces. Even though the
American Public is not happy about that, does he have a well-taken point to his approach on obesity?

Should food-stamp recipients be able to buy soda and those ever-addictive chips with their minimal
food stamp allowance?

This is something we should take seriously. Maybe these types of junk food should be banned from
being purchased by Food Stamp recipients? Food stamps should buy nourishing food for families. Chips
and soda are expensive and consume much of the allowance the family is allotted for food.

What are your thoughts? I bet this one will come under the heading "Discrimination of Food Stamp
Recipients!"

--hide--

I heard that in some states, foodstamps were being used on alcohol, gambling, and strip clubs. It was in the newspaper, so it seemed like a credible source. It definitely made my head spin.

04/09/2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: (Quote) Helen-881220 said: ahh, whatever you say! Helen, ma...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Quote:
Helen-881220 said:

ahh, whatever you say!

Helen, many years ago when my two stepsons were little and my wife was making little more than minimum wage, I lost my job and was out of work for nearly six months. When you have little ones to feed and a morgage to pay, you do what you have to do - I went on unemployment and we got food stamps. I can empathize with those who are struggling in these difficult times, which is why I deliver food to struggling families twice a week through the Knights of Columbus and the St. Vincent dePaul Society. I agree with you about buying treats for children as long as they are receiving good nutrition otherwise. Perhaps they can find a way to limit junk food purchases with bar codes somehow. If some are spending their welfare money in bars and on adult entertainment that is a different kettle of fish, and those folks need to be removed from the rolls.

--hide--

I agree that there are many people who really do need those benefits and need the food.

04/09/2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: (Quote) Marianne-100218 said: www.breitbart.com.
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

Quote:
Marianne-100218 said:

www.breitbart.com

food stamp allowance?

Recipients!"

I heard that in some states, foodstamps were being used on alcohol, gambling, and strip clubs. It was in the newspaper, so it seemed like a credible source. It definitely made my head spin.

--hide--

There are some who investigate welfare fraud. Perhaps adding this concern to their cases would be a way to clean up the use of that money.

04/09/2013 new

Participants in the Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) program, at least in Virginia, can only buy certain foods from a provided list. I don't see why a similar, expanded requirement can't be placed on food stamp recipients. If one is going to rely on taxpayer resources, they shouldn't complain if there are rules they need to comply with. Additonally, food stamp recipients should be required to take classes in nutrition and budgeting. I paid for college by working in a grocery store. When people got their food stamps, they came and bought steaks and other expensive items and by the end of the month, were scrapping together coins to buy chips and highly processed "food" to get through the rest of the month.

04/09/2013 new

I would go so far as to say that food stamps should be removed altogether and replaced with a WIC-type program. WIC is a program that offers specific basic foods (cereal, milk, bread, etc.) to pregnant women and children 5 and under. With WIC, you get specific amounts of certain foods monthly, not a lump sum of money to spend as you wish. I wouldn't limit the quantity of healthy foods too much, but only specific basic foods should be allowed if you are using government money to buy them. No chips, soda, candy or any other extras.

The concept of personal freedom doesn't (or shouldn't) apply to welfare recipients because the money they are using is not theirs. The government certainly has the right to dictate what you can buy with our tax money.

I've known many food stamps recipients. The majority of the ones I've known buy things like smoked salmon, ethnic food from expensive specialty stores, fancy candy, and other food that I can't afford myself. Things that are delicacies at my house are almost daily food in theirs (and I spend a lot on food as it is). Which tells me that the amount of food stamps provided is too much. I've also known people "selling" their food stamps to others for cash, because they have more food stamps than they need, and what they really want is cash.

04/09/2013 new

(Quote) Steve-650539 said: Participants in the Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) program, at least in Virginia, can only buy...
(Quote) Steve-650539 said:

Participants in the Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) program, at least in Virginia, can only buy certain foods from a provided list. I don't see why a similar, expanded requirement can't be placed on food stamp recipients. If one is going to rely on taxpayer resources, they shouldn't complain if there are rules they need to comply with.

--hide--

Great minds think alike, Steve!

04/09/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Or even worse...Welfare withdrawals occur at bars, sex shops, and strip clubs. http://newsfeed.ti...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Or even worse...Welfare withdrawals occur at bars, sex shops, and strip clubs.

newsfeed.time.com
--hide--

Mary: What are the debit cards supposed to be for, that they use? That is not food stamps I don't think.

Posts 11 - 20 of 121