Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: Gee, y'all tell me what you really think! You miss my point: what would the matchmatcher/d...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

Gee, y'all tell me what you really think!

You miss my point: what would the matchmatcher/dating coaches have to say to us?

I just got done watching it, so I will share what I heard that made sense:

1) You are your own brand. Be consistent with your brand. Decide what it is, and reflect it through your look, your dress, your conversation, how you present youself.

2) Be in the present moment, not in the past, not in the future.

3) People have a key interest or thing that they are about. Try to make a connection on that right away. Tonight's guy was a musician, so the girls that tried to meet him on that plane did well.

--hide--

I completely agree. Were these harsh comments really necessary? irked

Apr 10th 2013 new

1) You are your own brand. Be consistent with your brand. Decide what it is, and reflect it through your look, your dress, your conversation, how you present youself.

2) Be in the present moment, not in the past, not in the future.

3) People have a key interest or thing that they are about. Try to make a connection on that right away.

[/quote]

Pat, these are great communication tips for ANY situation.

Regarding number 1, for those of us older than 35, let a young person you trust have a peek in your closet. My 19 yo niece had a mini hissy fit and threw out all but 2 pairs of my jeans, which I am now allowed to wear only for gardening and yard work. Then she took me shopping. I grumbled, but she was right and the results are much more modern, not to mention cuter. Little whippersnapper...
Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: 1) You are your own brand. Be consistent with your brand.
(Quote) Pat-5351 said: 1) You are your own brand. Be consistent with your brand.
--hide--

Sometimes your own brand is an Edsel. wide eyed

I think that's what these shows attempt to do: hold up the mirror when the person doesn't realize that what he thinks is a witty and entertaining persona is actually an obnoxious loudmouth.

Apr 10th 2013 new

Amen Marge. That is what I am talking about. I think many people have a big blind spot about how they actually come across.

That is what this kind of thing can make one see about oneself.

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: So tonight a new TV dating show starts on NBC: "Ready for Love." www.nbc.com.
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

So tonight a new TV dating show starts on NBC: "Ready for Love."

www.nbc.com

This one is not your typical "Bachelor" format. These three guys (and the girls they will be dating) are going to have help from 3 matchmaker/dating coaches.

I am thinking there might be something to be learned form these folks. All the previews suggest that there will be.

One of the experts is a guy who is going to tell the girls what the guys are actually thinking.

Another one's tactic seems to be telling them "what is wrong with you" --the stuff that everyone else is afraid to say because they don't want to hurt your feelings.

I think it is going to be interesting and will take some notes myself.

Too bad we don't all have people like this in our own lives who could tell us the hard truth and explain others' behavior to us!

If you had a dating coach/matchmaker working with you, what would they say to you?

Can we be that objective so as to see ourselves as others see us and take the critique to heart?

--hide--
This is a little bit of a challenge, seeing as how there are 3 of each of us:

1. The way we see ourselves;

2. The way others see us;

3. The way we really are.

Even being critiqued by a so-called objective person will result in a subjective opinion. That person will be evaluating by his or own standards -- something that everyone has but are different in each individual.

After you watch the program, let us know what you think.

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said:
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:
--hide--

Dead on, Pat. It is a sleazy show, but there were some genuine lessons to be learned in that show about making connections. Toward that end, I appreciated the free advice.

Apr 10th 2013 new
Oh no not comments about harsh comments again. Lol. It's a forum! It's all about opinions! Lol.
Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: So tonight a new TV dating show starts on NBC: "Ready for Love." www.nbc.com.
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

So tonight a new TV dating show starts on NBC: "Ready for Love."

www.nbc.com

This one is not your typical "Bachelor" format. These three guys (and the girls they will be dating) are going to have help from 3 matchmaker/dating coaches.

I am thinking there might be something to be learned form these folks. All the previews suggest that there will be.

One of the experts is a guy who is going to tell the girls what the guys are actually thinking.

Another one's tactic seems to be telling them "what is wrong with you" --the stuff that everyone else is afraid to say because they don't want to hurt your feelings.

I think it is going to be interesting and will take some notes myself.

Too bad we don't all have people like this in our own lives who could tell us the hard truth and explain others' behavior to us!

If you had a dating coach/matchmaker working with you, what would they say to you?

Can we be that objective so as to see ourselves as others see us and take the critique to heart?

--hide--

Since I began to skype, I have been able to see more about how I look while talking to someone and how my facial expressions appear.

Apr 10th 2013 new

My post is about what a dating coach would tell us, not about whether dating shows are trash or unsuccessful.

Apr 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Pat-5351 said: My post is about what a dating coach would tell us, not about whether dating shows are trash or unsuccessful.
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

My post is about what a dating coach would tell us, not about whether dating shows are trash or unsuccessful.

--hide--

Well in that case since we need to strictly just stick to your question, my dating coach wouldn't say anything because I would never have a dating coach to begin with.
Posts 11 - 20 of 73