Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Any Bronies/Pegasisters here?

Apr 10th 2013 new

I'm a Brony. For those who don't know what that is, it means that I'm an adult male who is a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Are there any other Bronies or Pegasisters (adult female fans) on the site? For those who aren't, but are wondering how the heck an otherwise normal adult - especially a man - can enjoy a show targeted at little girls, I'm happy to answer any questions about the show and fandom that I can.

Apr 10th 2013 new
wide eyed
Apr 10th 2013 new
I was a fan of Pinky and Blinky the Noozles. Lol.
Apr 10th 2013 new

Never seen the Noozles, but there is Pinkie Pie on MLP. As a nod to the adult fans, her sisters are named Inky and Blinky, and her father's name is Clyde. :D That's part of what makes it such a fun show - they actually encourage the Brony/Pegasister phenomenon!

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-844020 said: I'm a Brony. For those who don't know what that is, it means that I'm an adult male...
(Quote) Michael-844020 said:

I'm a Brony. For those who don't know what that is, it means that I'm an adult male who is a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Are there any other Bronies or Pegasisters (adult female fans) on the site? For those who aren't, but are wondering how the heck an otherwise normal adult - especially a man - can enjoy a show targeted at little girls, I'm happy to answer any questions about the show and fandom that I can.

--hide--

Would you provide some insight as to "how the heck an otherwise normal adult - especially a man - can enjoy a show targeted at little girls"? Quite honestly this would more than likely be a "red flag" for women that you encounter, as I hope you already know. This would be a good opportunity for you to explain your attraction and allow women to gain a better perspective instead of making assumptions.

Apr 11th 2013 new
This forum's hilarious! My sister loved My Little Pony and had all of the little ponies. Lol. I would remember telling her that there's no blue horse with pink hair that has stars on their butt in real life. Lol. But I did used to sneak into her room when she wasn't there and make out with Barbie. That's all I'm going to say about that one. LOL!!!!!!!!
Apr 11th 2013 new

hey Frank, I have a sweet little doll you can make out with, her name is Rainbow Brite! anybody remember her?

Apr 11th 2013 new
(Quote) Helen-881220 said: hey Frank, I have a sweet little doll you can make out with, her name is Rainbow Brite! anybody remember her?
(Quote) Helen-881220 said:

hey Frank, I have a sweet little doll you can make out with, her name is Rainbow Brite! anybody remember her?

--hide--

Lol yes, my sister had that one too.
Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Stephanie-450440 said: Would you provide some insight as to "how the heck an otherwise normal adult - ...
(Quote) Stephanie-450440 said:

Would you provide some insight as to "how the heck an otherwise normal adult - especially a man - can enjoy a show targeted at little girls"? Quite honestly this would more than likely be a "red flag" for women that you encounter, as I hope you already know. This would be a good opportunity for you to explain your attraction and allow women to gain a better perspective instead of making assumptions.

--hide--
I'd be happy to. When I say that I am a Brony, I would note that my enjoyment of the show is limited to its latest incarnation - My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. This is a critical distinction. I care nothing for the earlier versions at all, and find them to be among the worst forms of stereotypical girly gunge.

I had heard about the "Brony" phenomenon, but couldn't understand how men could enjoy a show that was supposed to be for little girls. For the current "generation" of the show, the primary creative force behind it was Lauren Faust - an artist and writer who gained fame precisely for being able to create shows that appealed to a broad spectrum of audiences, such as the Powerpuff Girls. On a whim, I decided to watch the first couple episodes to see if I could get what the fascination was. Instead of the vapid, girly, half-hour commercial that I had been expecting from what I knew of My Little Pony when I was growing up and watching GI Joe, I was presented with an epic storyline, characters with actual depth, excellent animation, catchy music, and solid moral teaching - and that was just the first two episodes! With the possibility that it could have been a fluke, I watched a few more. It was no fluke. While there are some episodes which are better than others, the quality of the storytelling, music, and moral message has been consistently excellent.

What solidified my position as a "public" Brony was when the crew of the show (the writers, animators, voice actors, and producers) - as well as Hasbro itself - not only acknowledged the Brony phenomenon (such as in this commercial for the show from the first season: youtu.be ), but encouraged it. This entire scene was directly inspired by, and a tribute to, the Brony and Pegasister fandom: youtu.be . The character "Derpy Hooves" came from a single animation error in the first episode, and here was Hasbro making her part of the show!

This video, starring the voice talent of John DeLancie (best known for playing "Q" in several Star Trek series, and who is himself both a Brony and a supporter of the fandom), explains the whole thing a lot better than I can: youtu.be . From the categories presented there, I'm one of the "Moderates".

In summary, I'm a fan of an animated show which regularly tackles issues of redemption, racism, relationships, hubris, greed, and opression; a show which reflects excellent moral values and can deal seriously with historical controversies; a show with consistently engaging stories and music. It just happens to also be a show about ponies.

*brohoof*

Apr 11th 2013 new

smile

Thanks for the explanation. Very interesting.

Re: John DeLancie. I adored Q. ("Is there a Gene Luck Pickerd here?" laughing )

Now, if you decide to start a Trekker vs. Trekkie thread...I'm ready. vulcan and so is Zoom, I'll betcha. Rolling Along

Posts 1 - 10 of 17