Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Brianna-817628 said: Hi Les! Great choice. I am a Colorado girl, and only recently moved away. It is a wonderful sta...
(Quote) Brianna-817628 said:

Hi Les! Great choice. I am a Colorado girl, and only recently moved away. It is a wonderful state and you will have a great time. Boulder is a great place to stay if you want both outdoors and easy access to city stuff and the airport. There are lots of trails you can hike, Pearl street can be fun for dinner and there are usually free events like concerts and festivals on the weekends. If you have a car, the Garden of the Gods down in Colorado Springs is also a nice, free place to hike or have a picnic.

Two things to keep in mind 1) DRINK LOTS OF WATER - it can get hot and you'll be at a high altitude (even if you stay around Denver) so drink a lot more water than you think you might need. and 2) Be good to yourself - it is a high altitude, especially if you go into the mountains, and if you've never been up around 12,000 to 14,000 feet you can feel sick. So take your time, don't try to do too much hiking or climbing all at once and drink lots of water.

--hide--
I second that Boulder is a great place to start. It it placed so beautifully at the foot of the Rockies and it has a very nice atmosphere. Take it easy during the first two weeks when it comes to physical activities as the high altitude really takes a toll. I was in great shape when I arrived and couldn't understand why I flat out died not even halfway into my intervals during training. Then I remembered the difference in altitude. I could never have guessed that it would have such an impact on me.

Apr 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Edward-4511 said: Check out the Royal Gorge Bridge. www.royalgorgebridge.com
(Quote) Edward-4511 said:

Check out the Royal Gorge Bridge.

www.royalgorgebridge.com

--hide--
Thanks Edward, looks awesome!
Apr 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Only as regards terrain, perhaps. The desert begins at Colorado Springs, and the land gets bleaker as you trav...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Only as regards terrain, perhaps. The desert begins at Colorado Springs, and the land gets bleaker as you travel south. But the Mexican cultural influence doesn't really kick in until you hit Santa Fe, so far as I know. Colorado is more cowboy than Mexican.

--hide--
Oh, I don't think I'd mind cowboys, perhaps I'll get a chance to hop on a horse!! Never been to the desert so this sounds interesting.
Apr 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Fred-828727 said: Glenwood Springs would be fun to visit plus lots of scenery along the way
(Quote) Fred-828727 said:

Glenwood Springs would be fun to visit plus lots of scenery along the way

--hide--
Thanks Fred, I'll take that into consideration.
Apr 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Peter-933860 said: I second that Boulder is a great place to start. It it placed so beautifully at the foot of the Rockies and it ...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

I second that Boulder is a great place to start. It it placed so beautifully at the foot of the Rockies and it has a very nice atmosphere. Take it easy during the first two weeks when it comes to physical activities as the high altitude really takes a toll. I was in great shape when I arrived and couldn't understand why I flat out died not even halfway into my intervals during training. Then I remembered the difference in altitude. I could never have guessed that it would have such an impact on me.

--hide--
Thanks for that Peter, it certainly seems to be something to watch out for and it must take some getting used to! I have never been anywhere with high altitude so without your and Brianna's advice I wouldn't have paid any mind to it. Thanks!
Apr 10th 2013 new
Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate it! Keep them coming!!
Apr 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Les-150018 said: Hi all, this is just a feeler. I downloaded an app about Colorado and it seemed a great place to visit. Do...
(Quote) Les-150018 said: Hi all, this is just a feeler. I downloaded an app about Colorado and it seemed a great place to visit. Does anyone out there have any advice/information/comments for a visitor from abroad? Nothing too expensive please! If I can I'd love to visit over the summer, and I'm more interested in the outdoors than say a city stay focused on shopping. Would also like to explore the State rather than stay in one place. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks!
--hide--
There was a CM Event in Rocky Mountain National Park the last 2 years; but it doesn't look like there will be one this year. I lived in Boulder for 3 years and I've always been a little more focused on that part of the state rather than south of Denver. I would highly reccommend visiting to anyone. The Rockies are quite impressive.

Apr 12th 2013 new

Rocky Mountain National Park is beautiful. As Allen above mentioned, we've had a couple of CM get togethers out there... we stayed at the YMCA of the Rockies. We met people from all over the world when we stayed there, both volunteering at the YMCA, and travelers. What was nice for the overseas folk is that they could take a shuttle from the airport to Estes Park and/or the YMCA, and from there shuttle buses up into the mountains.

Rocky Mt National Park, Colorado, Rocky Mt Adventure II, Sept 2012

"Rocky Mt National Park, Colorado, Rocky Mt Adventu..."

Apr 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Allen-311949 said: There was a CM Event in Rocky Mountain National Park the last 2 years; but it doesn't look like there will ...
(Quote) Allen-311949 said:

There was a CM Event in Rocky Mountain National Park the last 2 years; but it doesn't look like there will be one this year. I lived in Boulder for 3 years and I've always been a little more focused on that part of the state rather than south of Denver. I would highly reccommend visiting to anyone. The Rockies are quite impressive.

--hide--
Thanks Allen. It does sound like an amazing place to visit. Anyone up for meeting there? Shame I missed the earlier gatherings!
Apr 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Michael-76823 said: Rocky Mountain National Park is beautiful. As Allen above mentioned, we've had a couple of CM get togethe...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

Rocky Mountain National Park is beautiful. As Allen above mentioned, we've had a couple of CM get togethers out there... we stayed at the YMCA of the Rockies. We met people from all over the world when we stayed there, both volunteering at the YMCA, and travelers. What was nice for the overseas folk is that they could take a shuttle from the airport to Estes Park and/or the YMCA, and from there shuttle buses up into the mountains.

Rocky Mt National Park, Colorado, Rocky Mt Adventure II, Sept 2012

"Rocky Mt National Park, Colorado, Rocky Mt Adventu..."

--hide--
Thanks Michael! I'm sorry to have missed it. One question, I assume there is accommodation to suit all pockets? The YMCA sounds like a reasonable place to stay, although somewhere mentioned a ranch and I've always wanted to visit one.
Posts 11 - 20 of 23