Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 10th 2013 new

Many states have gone to the EBT type cards for food stamps, Aid for Dependent Children, Child Care expenses, unemployment benefits etc. Food Stamps still cannot buy any foods that are prepared already such as McDonald's or from a convenience store like the burritos and egg rolls. They also cannot be used for non food items like laundry soap, etc.

Aid for Dependent Children which is more often called TANF now is a very minimal monetary payment to help provide for children. If the parent also receives Child Support payments this may off set the TANF amount. Also used to offset medical payments for children.

WIC is a separate program designed to help pregant or nursing mothers and children up to age four or five receive basic important nutritional foods as staples.

If one has a card for food stamps one cannot get cash back from it period. Nor can one buy something for a dime and get chane from a dollar food stamp as used to be done. It simply debits their alloted food stamp funds, which are renewed once each month on a specific day.

I firmly believe that most people use their food stamps responsibly. Most states provide educational material on nutrition and even classes on nutrition and cooking. While others do not, it is not the case for most people. Those who use them wrongly should of course be punished. Who would want to go through all the invasive paperwork just for fun or to get something for free is beyond me.

As for those who are using food stamps and also have nice things, one need not be completely impoverished to qualify for food stamps, additionally, we have no right to assume that those things were purchased inappropriately. Perhaps the phone came through a domestic abuse program that provides phones to women so that they have access to help, perhaps it was a gift from a parent or grandparent. Perhaps it is the only thing they have left from their former life. It isn't my business and it is definitely not my place to assume they are doing something wrong. If they are they will be found out and there will be consequences, but I am not of the opinion that we revoke those aids from everyone because some people misuse the system. the system itself is continuously trying to find and correct loopholes.

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Many states have gone to the EBT type cards for food stamps, Aid for Dependent Children, Child C...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Many states have gone to the EBT type cards for food stamps, Aid for Dependent Children, Child Care expenses, unemployment benefits etc. Food Stamps still cannot buy any foods that are prepared already such as McDonald's or from a convenience store like the burritos and egg rolls. They also cannot be used for non food items like laundry soap, etc.

Aid for Dependent Children which is more often called TANF now is a very minimal monetary payment to help provide for children. If the parent also receives Child Support payments this may off set the TANF amount. Also used to offset medical payments for children.

WIC is a separate program designed to help pregant or nursing mothers and children up to age four or five receive basic important nutritional foods as staples.

If one has a card for food stamps one cannot get cash back from it period. Nor can one buy something for a dime and get chane from a dollar food stamp as used to be done. It simply debits their alloted food stamp funds, which are renewed once each month on a specific day.

I firmly believe that most people use their food stamps responsibly. Most states provide educational material on nutrition and even classes on nutrition and cooking. While others do not, it is not the case for most people. Those who use them wrongly should of course be punished. Who would want to go through all the invasive paperwork just for fun or to get something for free is beyond me.

As for those who are using food stamps and also have nice things, one need not be completely impoverished to qualify for food stamps, additionally, we have no right to assume that those things were purchased inappropriately. Perhaps the phone came through a domestic abuse program that provides phones to women so that they have access to help, perhaps it was a gift from a parent or grandparent. Perhaps it is the only thing they have left from their former life. It isn't my business and it is definitely not my place to assume they are doing something wrong. If they are they will be found out and there will be consequences, but I am not of the opinion that we revoke those aids from everyone because some people misuse the system. the system itself is continuously trying to find and correct loopholes.

--hide--

I don't think you got the right story about the phones. The Government provides the cell phones to people. They said
that in the campaign.

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I don't think you got the right story about the phones. The Government provides th...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I don't think you got the right story about the phones. The Government provides the cell phones to people. They said
that in the campaign.

--hide--

No I was just pointing out another free phone opportunity I am aware of through the YWCA Domestic Violence Center here in OK. I have even donated phones to the cause. Lauren

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: When money was tight, I made my own treats, not buying them with the little money w...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

When money was tight, I made my own treats, not buying them with the little money we had. I made much healthier foods than the store-bought mixes and treats and spent less money. I still do that often!
Homemade big soft pretzels made of only whole grain flours are easy, fun and inexpensive to make together.
Candies and pop were skipped as we made healthier yummy cookies, cakes, pies together and drank fresh juices we made from real fruit on sale.
We learned to freeze pureed bananas and home-made yogurt to make 'ice cream' for parties.

And many of our recipes for healthy foods and treats came from the classes and literature given out by WIC and the checks they gave out only could be used for real foods -- milk, dried beans, whole grain rice and cereals and breads, fruit, vegetables, cheese, etc. If you had other sources of income, you used that for extras. It's ridiculous that people want hand-outs to to get extras that other people who work hard to make it on their own and don't qualify for government help can't even afford.

--hide--
Hi Rachel, pretzel-making day was a BIG deal, and involved most of us in the production line lol. Several of my nieces and nephews continue the fun with their families. Grandma got right to the combination of points when she praised them as " cheap teething rings for farmers' kids ". Hmmmmm, never asked my dentist BIL about that....

As to the health aspects, just the preservatives alone in " store bought " treats raise serious questions about the implementation of the current programs. Does the extra nutritional value of some whole foods made possible by programs offset the junk often also obtained ?

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: What bothers you about the thread?
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

What bothers you about the thread?

--hide--

Actually, it is the negativite comments made in some of the posters,, well, probably most of the posters. We are talking about 50 million people on food stamps, a record number. Do you really suppose they want to be on this program? Do you really think they don't want to work?

I met a man, the owner of an hvac cmpany, a man graduated from Yale, engineer, and worked at Boeing. Few years later, he lost his job! He had to apply for food stamps and was THANKFUL to God!

So before you judge others, look inward, and see how you would handle this situation (I am right now only speaking of the negativity and not the abuse of the system) if your family had a loss of income.

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Many states have gone to the EBT type cards for food stamps, Aid for Dependent Children, Child C...

--hide--
Thank you Lauren for responding to this thread in an informative, low key manner. I have seen a lot of negative responses in other threads, and I thought I would see more understanding, and compassion from humans for these unfortunate human beings. If candy is an abuse of the food stamp system, I am sure we all have abused something a time or two in our "holier than thou life".

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Helen-881220 said: (Quote) Marianne-100218 said: What bothers you about the thread?
(Quote) Helen-881220 said:

[quote]Marianne-100218 said:

What bothers you about the thread?

Actually, it is the negativite comments made in some of the posters,, well, probably most of the posters. We are talking about 50 million people on food stamps, a record number. Do you really suppose they want to be on this program? Do you really think they don't want to work?

I met a man, the owner of an hvac cmpany, a man graduated from Yale, engineer, and worked at Boeing. Few years later, he lost his job! He had to apply for food stamps and was THANKFUL to God!

So before you judge others, look inward, and see how you would handle this situation (I am right now only speaking of the negativity and not the abuse of the system) if your family had a loss of income.

--hide--

Not one person on this thread has suggested that there should not be food stamps nor that everyone on food stamps doesn't want to work.

Apr 10th 2013 new

As for those who are using food stamps and also have nice things, one need not be completely impoverished to qualify for food stamps, additionally, we have no right to assume that those things were purchased inappropriately. Perhaps the phone came through a domestic abuse program that provides phones to women so that they have access to help, perhaps it was a gift from a parent or grandparent. Perhaps it is the only thing they have left from their former life. It isn't my business and it is definitely not my place to assume they are doing something wrong. If they are they will be found out and there will be consequences, but I am not of the opinion that we revoke those aids from everyone because some people misuse the system.s. the system itself is continuously trying to find and correct loophole

--hide--
Hi Lauren, when you speak of program abusers being " found out ", and the system " trying to find and correct loopholes ", do you mean that there is an active enforcement and investigative element in the agencies, or do they rely on overt complaints ? For instance, the IRS may randomly audit some percentage of returns each year. Do the aid agencies have something like that, or do they mainly rely on someone bringing bad examples to their attention ?

BTW, I do agree that most folks, most of the time try to do the right and responsible things. It does however sometimes seem that in this cultural climate the " most " might now be only a miniscule percentage majority of the population....

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernie-645443 said: Hi Lauren, when you speak of program abusers being " found out ", and the system "...
(Quote) Bernie-645443 said:

Hi Lauren, when you speak of program abusers being " found out ", and the system " trying to find and correct loopholes ", do you mean that there is an active enforcement and investigative element in the agencies, or do they rely on overt complaints ? For instance, the IRS may randomly audit some percentage of returns each year. Do the aid agencies have something like that, or do they mainly rely on someone bringing bad examples to their attention ?

BTW, I do agree that most folks, most of the time try to do the right and responsible things. It does however sometimes seem that in this cultural climate the " most " might now be only a miniscule percentage majority of the population....

--hide--

Hi Bernie, they have both avenues open to them. There are routine random audits which inquire even more deeply into people's circumstances, the applications must be renewed every six months or so, sometimes less depending on the circumstances and there are also fraud hotlines to report abuses, as well as information pamphlets given and sent out randomly. The move to EBT was an attempt to do away with the selling of food stamps and the gathering of change through purchasing small items and using the one dollar food stamps, because if it were less than a dollar it could be returned in actual money change. While some people will still figure out a way to misuse the situation, the agencies actively work to stop these abuses.

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Hi Bernie, they have both avenues open to them. There are routine random audits which i...

Hi Bernie, they have both avenues open to them. There are routine random audits which inquire even more deeply into people's circumstances, the applications must be renewed every six months or so, sometimes less depending on the circumstances and there are also fraud hotlines to report abuses, as well as information pamphlets given and sent out randomly. The move to EBT was an attempt to do away with the selling of food stamps and the gathering of change through purchasing small items and using the one dollar food stamps, because if it were less than a dollar it could be returned in actual money change. While some people will still figure out a way to misuse the situation, the agencies actively work to stop these abuses.

--hide--
Hi Lauren, thanks for the info. Wow, I'm a step slow today. I should have realized that with the conversion to EBT the card reader function records the items purchased, thereby being a mini audit whenever the agency chooses to look.

Posts 41 - 50 of 121