Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

It's now public knowledge...

Apr 13th 2013 new

I feel lied to...and am close to scandalized.

Well, it is now public knowledge (via the diocesan newspaper) that another former pastor (this is the second) left the parish I attend (in 2010) after admitting to illicit relations; however this one is reported to have been with another adult who wished for privacy in regard to this.

Like I said, I feel like I was lied to. Our Archbishop released a letter which to my recollection was read by the stand-in priest the following Sunday. I came away with three points from the letter:

1) The priest in question was not leaving for an illicit cause, he merely was leaving because his Bishop had re-called him to his own diocese.
2) The priest in question was not known to be linked to any sexual impropriety.
3) The priest in question had left the diocese in good standing with our Archbishop.

The pastor who left the parish in Sept. 2010 had told us in the congregation one Sunday shortly prior to his departure that one of his grandparents (his grandfather, I recollect) was very ill and likely soon to die. After hearing the letter, I figured the Pastor's family had requested his return home to his Bishop to attend his grandfather. This is not the impression one gets from reading the article in the diocesan newspaper.

I do NOT get why the knowledge of the sexual transgression had to be released now! It makes the whole thing sound pretty suspicious (you know, the priest making a flight out of the country suddenly), especially in light of the diocesan paper making public an allegation of sexual misconduct with a minor in regard to this priest (which allegation is reported to have been made only 11 days ago).

What in the world???

Apr 13th 2013 new

There's always the possibility the news paper is bending the facts a bit. Just because a paper is Catholic doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If however, the accusations are true, it could mean either the Bishop doesn't know the full story or there are some dirty lies going on.

We have to remember, while our Church was started by Christ it is run by men today, and unfortunately, that means a certain level of corruption based on our wounded nature.

Apr 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: There's always the possibility the news paper is bending the facts a bit. Just because a pape...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

There's always the possibility the news paper is bending the facts a bit. Just because a paper is Catholic doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If however, the accusations are true, it could mean either the Bishop doesn't know the full story or there are some dirty lies going on.

We have to remember, while our Church was started by Christ it is run by men today, and unfortunately, that means a certain level of corruption based on our wounded nature.

--hide--

Hi, Naomi,

I personally don't guess the allegations of sexual misconduct with a minor are true. I suspect that what this is is a smear campaign by people who were talking out of turn, and someone who saw something innocent turned it dirty in his mind (the movie Doubt comes to mind). Sexual misconduct with a minor as defined in law encompasses a vast area of topics.

Also, this is the Archbishop's newspaper which printed the "story." It is very hard to believe that he didn't know what was in it...or the full story behind everything.

This is no personal attack against you, Naomi. I think we're all pretty sensitized by the recent scandals with the priests and their sexually perverse or otherwise inordinate behavior.

I do know that due to our fallen nature, we are inclined to error and sin...and so this doesn't surprise me. I am merely emotionally bothered at the incongruence between what I recall of the Archbishop's letter and what I saw printed in his newspaper today.

Thanks for your kind and temperate response.

Apr 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: Hi, Naomi,I personally don't guess the allegations of sexual misconduct wit...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

Hi, Naomi,

I personally don't guess the allegations of sexual misconduct with a minor are true. I suspect that what this is is a smear campaign by people who were talking out of turn, and someone who saw something innocent turned it dirty in his mind (the movie Doubt comes to mind). Sexual misconduct with a minor as defined in law encompasses a vast area of topics.

Also, this is the Archbishop's newspaper which printed the "story." It is very hard to believe that he didn't know what was in it...or the full story behind everything.

This is no personal attack against you, Naomi. I think we're all pretty sensitized by the recent scandals with the priests and their sexually perverse or otherwise inordinate behavior.

I do know that due to our fallen nature, we are inclined to error and sin...and so this doesn't surprise me. I am merely emotionally bothered at the incongruence between what I recall of the Archbishop's letter and what I saw printed in his newspaper today.

Thanks for your kind and temperate response.

--hide--

Just tryinig to give the bishop the benefit of the doubt here, but since the letter seems to be a while back, is there any chance you might be remembering some of the details wrong? Or remembering and impression and not details? Perhaps it was written in a way that didn't say anything untrue, but didn't go into the lurid details either?

Don't get me wrong- the simplest explanation is that it just wasn't handled well.

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of folks who are not good at handling disciplinary matters well.

Apr 13th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: Just tryinig to give the bishop the benefit of the doubt here, but since the letter seems...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

Just tryinig to give the bishop the benefit of the doubt here, but since the letter seems to be a while back, is there any chance you might be remembering some of the details wrong? Or remembering and impression and not details? Perhaps it was written in a way that didn't say anything untrue, but didn't go into the lurid details either?

Don't get me wrong- the simplest explanation is that it just wasn't handled well.

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of folks who are not good at handling disciplinary matters well.

--hide--

It's possible that I could be remembering it wrong. I thought of that myself...so I called up other people who were there when the letter was read...without biasing them with the reason why, and asked them what they remembered. All accounts concurred with mine without any sharing on my part. Of course it's possible that we all got it wrong, but I remember after this happened that there was a huge discussion because some people wanted to say that we were being lied to then, and that the priest MUST have done something sexually wrong to be spirited away in the middle of the night so to speak to another country. Myself and a close friend of mine were ardent defenders of this priest, that we could jump to no such conclusion based upon what the Archbishop had reported in his letter (which was so adamantly opposed to that position).

The Archbishop didn't owe us any explanation whatsoever, but still gave one...and what is recollected of the explanation given is opposed to what has been currently released. I hate this, but it's not really anything new here.

Apr 14th 2013 new
This is all very sad and disturbing. I'm sorry that this has happened. No matter what actually did happen it's now become something dark and ugly. Let's pray, that's the only thing that's going to heal anyone.
Posts 1 - 6 of 6