Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Frances-955369 said: Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes...
(Quote) Frances-955369 said:

Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes when I meet new people, I tend to talk about my job (which is, of course, ministry) and I have gotten the impression that it makes me seem "too religious". Truth is, I have many interests just like everyone else. My job and ministry are a very big part of my life. Should I tone down discussion about that? Does it make me seem like a nun and push men away? Would love your opinion. Thanks!

--hide--

Frances, I have experienced the same thing. But why would you want to be with someone who doesn't share the central joy of your life? I've found that when a man does not share my own love for Jesus and His Church, it is a real turn off for me. I have decided that I am happy as I am. I would be very unhappy married to a man with whom I cannot share the valuable aspect of my life with! If I marry, I want to marry someone who love to go to Adoration as much as I do! So rather than looking at marriage as a goal, see holiness as the goal, and discern whether it is part of God's plan to bring such a man into your life - so don't downplay your Faith. But it probably is good to show that you have other interests too! Good luck!

Apr 16th 2013 new

I don't think it is a "turn off" for real men :) And what is "too religious" anyway? The fact that you may attend Mass every Sunday may be viewed as too religious for some people. Think about that. Being in youth ministry is a big part of your life so you should talk about it.

Apr 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Frances-955369 said: Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes...

Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes when I meet new people, I tend to talk about my job (which is, of course, ministry) and I have gotten the impression that it makes me seem "too religious". Truth is, I have many interests just like everyone else. My job and ministry are a very big part of my life. Should I tone down discussion about that? Does it make me seem like a nun and push men away? Would love your opinion. Thanks!

--hide--
Hi Frances: If that's what you enjoy doing: Then share it to (not just Guy's) But to everybody! But also; you might say somethin like this; I also enjoy whatever you enjoy (out side doing ministry work) But don't stop talkin about it!

Apr 16th 2013 new

I think that if you love your faith and it energizes you with enthusiasm, and you obviously enjoy your work, then it's not an issue to the average man. For me, it becomes too much if the lady becomes scrupulous, legalistic, and judgmental. I find much peace in church when I simply mind my own business and leave the changing of others' hearts up to God. But I know a few youth and young adult ministers that are very passionate about their faith, but have it in balance with other parts of their lives.

Apr 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: You love that, don't you?
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

You love that, don't you?

--hide--

I wrote that because I know you like that. Geaux Tara Baby Geaux cool

Apr 16th 2013 new
I would have loved to jump on this discussion earlier. As has been said numerous times, being "too-religious" or as it should be more properly called actually following your faith is a good thing. It's something I'm looking for and have difficulty finding in a woman within 100 miles and 4 years of age. I have several female friends who are in our line of work, the bigger problem I can see driving guys away at least with my youth ministry friends is their schedule. They lose 3 or 4 out of every 5 weekends to their job and work nights rather than days, which makes it incredible difficult. If you want a relationship, the right one eventually will find you if you let it, and of course as repeatedly stated, you won't be happy if ou compromise anyway so don't change.
Apr 16th 2013 new
(Quote) Frances-955369 said: Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes when I meet...

--hide--

NO. I wish I was a 7 for 7. But I am human
Apr 17th 2013 new

Being too busy, whether with religious or secular activities can be a turn off because the other person may assume that your life is too busy for you to have time to develop a relationship. I hope we are all here because we are hoping to discern that special someone who is a practicing Catholic and shares our religious beliefs and lives out those beliefs. So I don't think being religious it self is a turn off. Several married couples in my parish participate in the same religious activities (both teach religious ed classes or both work with pro-life etc) so obviously being involved doesn't mean a person is too busy but sometimes people might think you do not have room in your life for them.

Apr 17th 2013 new

Thanks Amber, that is a good point. I probably do seem to be too busy.

Thank you everyone for the advice, support and different perspectives! That is what these forums are about!

God Bless!!

Apr 17th 2013 new

I would urge you to go slow.

Telling people you are Catholic, well you know what that means. But do they? If if they are Catholic, they may not be your kind of Catholic. Consider if we went on a date and I spend the whole time talking about being a Marine. Now, if you were a Marine you could relate. We could have a nice conversation. If you were in the Air Force you might be totally bored.

Don't label yourself. What is a good thing to you may not be for others.

Posts 41 - 50 of 81