Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 17th 2013 new

That is a sweet and beautiful story. And, it is true for some of us the diamond in the rough was the pearl of all pearls. But, I also got something else out of the story -- the gift of sacrificial love. The little girl loved her pearls and loved them very much, but after some time, she was willing as much as it hurt her to give them to her daddy because she loved him. He in turn gifted her. He didn't force her to part with them, but asked and accepted her decision. Much like God's love for us and what He waits for from us. . .always the patient Father. It is also like the relationship we will give to a spouse. A true sacrificial gift given out of love and with no expectation of anything else in return.

Apr 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: That is a sweet and beautiful story. And, it is true for some of us the diamond in the rough was the pearl of...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

That is a sweet and beautiful story. And, it is true for some of us the diamond in the rough was the pearl of all pearls. But, I also got something else out of the story -- the gift of sacrificial love. The little girl loved her pearls and loved them very much, but after some time, she was willing as much as it hurt her to give them to her daddy because she loved him. He in turn gifted her. He didn't force her to part with them, but asked and accepted her decision. Much like God's love for us and what He waits for from us. . .always the patient Father. It is also like the relationship we will give to a spouse. A true sacrificial gift given out of love and with no expectation of anything else in return.

--hide--

Beautiful, Lauren. That is wonderful and, Shara, I shall always remember this story. Thank you for this thread and all the posts.
Apr 17th 2013 new

In your own life what are your pearls? What are the things you will never give up? Your cat? Your house? Your job?

I know a story of a man that would not give up his cat. His wife was so allergic to cats she had a miscarriage. He gave up his baby for his cat.

I also know many cases where people gave up their religion, not their faith, for the one they loved. My pastor's parents, my parents, my friend Fred, it is a long list.

Finding a spouse demands that you be willing to give up everything, except your faith. If you are not willing to do that you will not find the spouse God wants for you.

By the way, you also have to give up any ideas about what she, or he, looks like or does. If you want a tall blonde you might find one, if you want a rich man, you might find one. You sure you found the right one? You might even have to give up your insistentence that they are a 7/7. If you take the time to get to know someone you may discover that their faith, their love for God, just makes you look like a frog. But, they do not agree with all of the Church's teaching.

Apr 17th 2013 new
We have to be true to ourselves. Giving up important beliefs and values, for anyone, is not remaining true to who we are. We each have to decide our deal breakers and areas in which we are flexible.
Apr 17th 2013 new
If we don't choose a spouse based on our core values, beliefs and preferences then the marriage would be based on feelings alone and feelings come and go.
Apr 17th 2013 new

Sure, it is unreasonable to give up the things that are really important. But don't we expect to get something really important? My experience is that my wife brought things into my life that were better than the things I had. If I were not willing to give up what I had we could not have grown together.

And besides, how do you know your husband wouldn't bring a much nicer set of pearls into your life? Isn't that what we want?

Apr 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Claudine-882177 said: Awesome story! Gifts from God trump anything we could drum up for ourselves. Every time. Even ...
(Quote) Claudine-882177 said:

Awesome story! Gifts from God trump anything we could drum up for ourselves. Every time. Even if He gives us a gift we didn't expect or understand, it will prove to be infinitely better in time. We just have to trust that: 1. He can do anything, 2. He can do it for us and 3. His will is better, even if we don't understand it.

--hide--

Claudine you are one wise woman. God will make some great guy very lucky some day. hug

Apr 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Meesch-691047 said: That is so beautiful! I have tears in my own eyes!
(Quote) Meesch-691047 said: That is so beautiful! I have tears in my own eyes!
--hide--

Thats the way I felt the first time I read it too. I saw how much like that the little girl I am and it hurt. You made me tear up again. Thanks for making it touch me once again. hug

Apr 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Nekeisha-896394 said: Beautiful story. We have to let go and let God, it's a sentiment that can get over used bu...
(Quote) Nekeisha-896394 said:

Beautiful story. We have to let go and let God, it's a sentiment that can get over used but it is so true nonetheless.

--hide--

You are so right. Sometimes the most beautiful truths about God are so simple. We are the ones who complicate things. hug

Apr 17th 2013 new
Lawrence, I so understand much of what you say. Hair color, build, interests and temperament are not set in stone. Who knows what God has in mind? I can't compromise in the 7/7 and what the Church teaches. That is my biggest love-God and His Bride the Church. I would miss so much by not sharing that love with my spouse.
Posts 21 - 30 of 43