Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 17th 2013 new

I love gifts, and jewelry, but I agree--unless there is an "understanding" jewelry is too intimate/nice/meaningful of a gift.

Apr 17th 2013 new

I feel if the relationship is that close then it is ok. There is a myriad of reasons why a guy would buy a girl jewelry. Wanting to express great affection, to impress, likes to see her surprised with a smile, or to give her something of great value to show that she means very much to him, and many more. It takes timing and study in the relationship as to whether it would be "hit or miss" in approval. This is just my take on it though and there are many more reasons why someone might.

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jennifer-961834 said: I don't think jewelry should be accepted before the relationship is serious. As nice as th...
(Quote) Jennifer-961834 said:

I don't think jewelry should be accepted before the relationship is serious. As nice as the jewelry might be, it can often be a sign that the guy is, (even unconciously), trying to buy your affections. I tend to shy away from guys who try to buy me pricy things. After all, accepting jewely puts a implied debt to comit on the reciever which is inapropriate early on in a relationship.

Nothing is a hard and fast rule however. Different personalities would change the time jewelry becomes approptiate. Also, it depends on the amount of money he spent on the jewelry.

--hide--

I agree. I knew a situation where a guy liked a girl a lot but she liked him as a friend. She told him so and he said he accepted that. Not so. He buys her a dozen roses for Valentine's Day. He also bought her nice earrings for Christmas and when she told him she couldn't accept them, it was too extravagant, he said she had to, he lost the receipt! Kept trying to win her over. It didn't work.

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Julie-42315 said: I'm not talking about an engagement ring - I know the meaning behind that. But if y...
(Quote) Julie-42315 said:

I'm not talking about an engagement ring - I know the meaning behind that.

But if you are casually seeing someone and he gives you a nice piece of jewelry (necklace, earrings, etc.) - what does it imply?

Should the woman accept it if she thinks it's too soon? (I'd say jewelry is a bit different than candy or flowers or a pair of gloves)..

Guys, when would you (or would you) buy a girl a piece of jewelry - and at what stage in the relationship?

--hide--

It depends tremendously on what you mean by "casually seeing". Giving jewelry before you're at least some way along into a committed relationship seems strange, but, heck, maybe the guy just has money burning a hole in his pocket. Then again, costs of flowers being what they are, I bet I could find a pretty nice looking (if not so very fine from the gemological or precious metal standpoint) piece of jewelry for less than the cost of a dozen roses and certainly for less than the cost of a nice dinner.

Apr 18th 2013 new

I have only once gaven a girl "jewlry", when I was a "foolish high school boy", I was foolishly seeking a "committed relationship" when we where "just friends". I did not give jewlry to the only woman I ever dated (it was too soon). I gave her candy, flowers, and DVD of her faverite TV show.

I am willing to say this guy "really likes" you.

What you do about this is up to you.

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Julie-42315 said: Guys, when would you (or would you) buy a girl a piece of jewelry - and at what stage in the relat...

Guys, when would you (or would you) buy a girl a piece of jewelry - and at what stage in the relationship?

--hide--

I bought my girl-friend a necklace and pendant of two interwoven hearts encrusted with diamonds for the 2nd Christmas that we were together. We had already started talking about marriage, and we both knew it was really only a matter of time before I bought the engagement ring. <p>I had said suggested to her that I wouldn't buy her an engagement ring for her Birthday or Christmas because I wanted the engagement to standout on its own. So, yes the relationship was very close at the time, and neither of us had any plans of ending it. The pendant was also a lot cheaper then a ring, and I was struggling at the time. The next piece of jewlery that I bought her was the engagement ring (later the next year).

Apr 18th 2013 new

I try not to over-analyze things like this. If I see something - jewelry or otherwise - that I think someone I know might appreciate - man or woman - many times I'll get it for them. I think kindness should be automatic. It doesn't have to be super expensive or mean anything more than "I thought you might like this" or "this made me think of you." I don't keep track or think in terms of who 'owes' the next kindness, and I'm not MORE impressed by more expensive presents. A gift is a gift - plain and simple. Strings should never be attached - unless it is an engagement ring - which is a promise of a future together.

I learned not to put MY limitations or interpretations on the kind gestures of others when I was in the 7th grade. A neighborhood boy 'friend' gave me a heart necklace for my birthday. I freaked a bit thinking it meant too much - and in my stammering trying to explain why I could not accept it - I almost ruined our friendship. embarassed He explained that he saw it and knew my birthday was coming up, and thought I'd like it. Period. He also explained that even IF we'd been bf/gf - it still would have been given to me for the same reason - he saw it and thought I'd like it. We remained good friends throughout our high school years - then we lost touch.

Communication is the key to any relationship - always be clear about where each of you are emotionally so nobody is uncomfortable with a gesture by the other person. I'm not going to assume I know the 'meaning' of someone else's actions - I'll let them thell me, or ask them straight out. I've never been good at reading minds. laughing rolling eyes

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Julie-42315 said: I'm not talking about an engagement ring - I know the meaning behind that. But if y...

I'm not talking about an engagement ring - I know the meaning behind that.

But if you are casually seeing someone and he gives you a nice piece of jewelry (necklace, earrings, etc.) - what does it imply?

Should the woman accept it if she thinks it's too soon? (I'd say jewelry is a bit different than candy or flowers or a pair of gloves)..

--hide--
(That's Easy) I would have to be in a relationship at Least 6 months or more; unless its her B.day or Christmas; Then i would; No i wouldn't buy her any jewelry; on "valentines day" (would buy her something else) that's my two cents worth! Mike "Peace"!!

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Define "nice".IMHO, jewelry of any value is inappropriate unless the relationsh...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Define "nice".

IMHO, jewelry of any value is inappropriate unless the relationship is very close. Giving an expensive gift implies a very deep interest in the other person, and accepting a valuable gift implies serious acceptance of the giver.

Could be very misleading.

--hide--

I agree that valuable jewellery implies a serious relationship. It is not the same thing as a rose or some candy. However, discount retailers like Wal-Mart sell silver chains and pendants for under $40 or so, and some small 10K gold jewellery for about the same. That's about the cost of a fancy dinner, or a ticket to a concert, maybe something that a gentleman may do for his sweetheart's birthday or for a Christmas gift after dating exclusively for a few months.

Apr 18th 2013 new

Personally, I would rather have good conversation and kind acts. No gifts.

Posts 11 - 20 of 43