Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

“Love is not only an affirmation; it is also a negation. A man who loves a woman and asks for her hand in marriage by that fact negates every other woman. A man who affirms the love of God negates the love of evil… The reason noble characters refuse to sin is not because they are afraid of hell or punishment; they negate evil because they would not hurt the one they love.”
—Venerable Fulton J. Sheen

So what do YOU think love is? Do you agree with Rev. Sheen?

Apr 18th 2013 new

I agree with Archbishop Sheen; if a man asks you to marry him, you should be his focus, forsaking all others, as he should be yours. Now, if I could only find a Catholic man who felt the same.... wink

Apr 18th 2013 new

I think love is unconditional giving of yourself to your spouse. Love is more than an emotion, it is a loving sacrifice. lovestruck! wink

Apr 18th 2013 new

Absolutely! "The greatest of theses is Love" faint rose heart heartbeat

Apr 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Joan-529855 said: “Love is not only an affirmation; it is also a negation. A man who loves a woman and a...
(Quote) Joan-529855 said:

“Love is not only an affirmation; it is also a negation. A man who loves a woman and asks for her hand in marriage by that fact negates every other woman. A man who affirms the love of God negates the love of evil… The reason noble characters refuse to sin is not because they are afraid of hell or punishment; they negate evil because they would not hurt the one they love.”

--hide--

Bishop Fulton Sheen pray for us.

Apr 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Joan-529855 said: “Love is not only an affirmation; it is also a negation. A man who loves a woman and a...

--hide--

I love Fulton Sheen. . .he was so wise.

Of course, I agree. True love is choosing what is best for the beloved, even at the expense of oneself. It is a negation of self and self-interest.

Apr 19th 2013 new

--hide--
Thanks for posting this . I love and agree totally with the last line. heart

Apr 19th 2013 new
(Quote) Joan-529855 said: “Love is not only an affirmation; it is also a negation. A man who loves a woman and asks for her ha...

--hide--

Beautiful; I love everything Fulton Sheen writes and yes, I definitely agree.
Apr 19th 2013 new
(Quote) Tim-616385 said: I think love is unconditional giving of yourself to your spouse. Love is more than an emotion, it is a loving sa...
(Quote) Tim-616385 said:

I think love is unconditional giving of yourself to your spouse. Love is more than an emotion, it is a loving sacrifice.

--hide--

Perfectly put, Tim. It is caring for them no matter what or allowing them to care for you, no matter what. I am reading a book right now which tells the story of a couple, very much in love, very busy with life and then she is struck down with severe and permanent illness. She needs almost constant care. The spouse steps to the plate and does what it takes....THAT puts love and butterflies and goosebumps in a different context...continuing when it gets rough and finding the joy in it...like Christ did when he crawled onto the Cross.
Apr 19th 2013 new

Love is not a something, but a Somebody. theheart Love is the deepest human emotion because it participates with and includes God in such a unique way that it effects the creation of a new life, the fruit of that love. That inexplicable relationship of two people and God...just takes my breathe away. lovestruck!

Posts 1 - 10 of 10