Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Apr 19 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: Therese,Yes, you are correct. They inform...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:
Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

Therese,

Yes, you are correct. They informed my spouse of the original request, she received a copy of the original denial and subsequent approval. My former spouse did not even respond to the Tribunal letting them know she would not respond. After a period of time (I forget the length) the Tribunal then presumes the respondent will not cooperate. It is a policy of my local Tribunal if a respondent does not participate, he/she is neverallowed to read the petitioner's information or those of the witnesses no matter if I allowed her to do so. That is not an option here. Whether that policy is in conflict with church or canon law, I do not know.

Please correct any information I submitted as I know many people are reading your thread.

By the way, you provided an excellent time-line to assist those thinking to initiate the process or is in process. That took some time to "think out" each process.

Blessings,

Leon

That is what I am not clear on except maybe Therese, you answered it. My spouse did respond with his paperwork. He checked 'confidential' and so did I and so it was explained to me we would not see each other's statements. Whether or not I can see the witnesses' statements I do not know. Perhaps they can be read without their names on the statements however it would not be hard to figure out who wrote what so that is a little confusing. I am the one requesting the annulment, by the way. I also wonder whether he will be allowed to read the witnesses' "anonymous" statements? Maybe this does vary from diocese to diocese.
--hide--

Meg,

I cannot speak for any Diocese/Archdiocese except my own, but there was nothing to check regarding confidentiality. As I previously noted, my former spouse did not respond and as such could not read my petition. If she had chosen to respond, she could have read in the presence of a member of the Tribunal my petition whether or not I objected. None of the parties would ever be allowed to receive a copy to take with them. As a responder though instead of the petitioner, she would not have access to witness statements. There again, I can only presume they comply with all church and canon laws.

My former spouse had no interest in participating in the process or a decision from the Tribunal. She has long left the Catholic faith.

Blessings, Praying hug rose

Leon

Apr 19 new
(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Meg,I cannot speak for any Diocese/Archdiocese except my own, but there was nothing to check reg...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Meg,

I cannot speak for any Diocese/Archdiocese except my own, but there was nothing to check regarding confidentiality. As I previously noted, my former spouse did not respond and as such could not read my petition. If she had chosen to respond, she could have read in the presence of a member of the Tribunal my petition whether or not I objected. None of the parties would ever be allowed to receive a copy to take with them. As a responder though instead of the petitioner, she would not have access to witness statements. There again, I can only presume they comply with all church and canon laws.

My former spouse had no interest in participating in the process or a decision from the Tribunal. She has long left the Catholic faith.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--

Thanks, Leon. It does definitely sound like there are some variances between Tribunals. I am not sure what will happen or is supposed to happen at the 'publishing' if he can't read anything and I can't read his. Maybe I will be shown what my witnesses wrote. I have a call into the Tribunal (I forget the lady's title/role that I have spoken with before) to ask some of these new questions. She is very busy though.

Mine left the Faith too...Anyway, it feels good to move forward a step at a time.

Praying
Apr 19 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: Meg,I cannot speak for any Diocese/Archdi...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:
Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

Meg,

Blessings,

Leon

Thanks, Leon. It does definitely sound like there are some variances between Tribunals. I am not sure what will happen or is supposed to happen at the 'publishing' if he can't read anything and I can't read his. Maybe I will be shown what my witnesses wrote. I have a call into the Tribunal (I forget the lady's title/role that I have spoken with before) to ask some of these new questions. She is very busy though.

Mine left the Faith too...Anyway, it feels good to move forward a step at a time.

--hide--

Meg,

That's what I do. One step at a time. I learned long ago to do it that way instead of in leaps and bounds. Kept falling down too much. Sometimes but not always, advancing age does bring some wisdom.

Blessings, Praying hug rose

Leon

Apr 20 new
(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Therese,Yes, you are correct. They informed my spouse of the original request, she received a ...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Therese,

Yes, you are correct. They informed my spouse of the original request, she received a copy of the original denial and subsequent approval. My former spouse did not even respond to the Tribunal letting them know she would not respond. After a period of time (I forget the length) the Tribunal then presumes the respondent will not cooperate. It is a policy of my local Tribunal if a respondent does not participate, he/she is neverallowed to read the petitioner's information or those of the witnesses no matter if I allowed her to do so. That is not an option here. Whether that policy is in conflict with church or canon law, I do not know.

Please correct any information I submitted as I know many people are reading your thread.

By the way, you provided an excellent time-line to assist those thinking to initiate the process or is in process. That took some time to "think out" each process.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--

Well stated Leon,

Thank you for sharing your information, it is going to be a great help for many members

hug

Therese
Apr 20 new
(Quote) Meg-920823 said: That is what I am not clear on except maybe Therese, you answered it. My spouse did respond with his paperw...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

That is what I am not clear on except maybe Therese, you answered it. My spouse did respond with his paperwork. He checked 'confidential' and so did I and so it was explained to me we would not see each other's statements. Whether or not I can see the witnesses' statements I do not know. Perhaps they can be read without their names on the statements however it would not be hard to figure out who wrote what so that is a little confusing. I am the one requesting the annulment, by the way. I also wonder whether he will be allowed to read the witnesses' "anonymous" statements? Maybe this does vary from diocese to diocese.
--hide--

If he provided witnesses then both of you will be seeing the statements. In my case, my former spouse didn't supply witnesses so neither one of us was able to read the statements.
Apr 20 new
(Quote) Meg-920823 said: Thanks, Leon. It does definitely sound like there are some variances between Tribunals. I am not sure what...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

--hide--

In my case, my former spouse didn't participate, I didn't get any statements nor he did. There was no delay in the process.

In your case they will continue the process following the list above, with no problems as long as you, the petitioner, have provided everything they asked for, and if your spouse didn't participate, it is a good point on your side.
Apr 26 new
Thank you for the information. I would like to start the process(again). I've been divorced since 1990!.I never expected to be considering another relationship that may lead to another marriage. I'm ready to explore new options:) Costs have kept me from reapplying. Maybe it's time.... Wishing everyone well. Good night. And Gods'blessings.
Apr 27 new
I just spoke with the Tribunal this week and several things were explained to me that at least apply here in the Kansas City St. Joseph Diocese

If both the petitioner and the respondent complete their paperwork, select 'confidential' regarding their answers and if any and all witnesses also select 'confidential', then the Petitioner and Respondent will not do anything at Publication. Likened to a conveyor belt, time frames are based on the number of cases submitted and the expediency and thoroughness of all statements. If the Tribunal does not require clarification or additional information that, of course, reduces time frames. The process was likened to putting together a puzzle based on the various input given. Usually no one statement defines the outcome but is rather from a compilation.
Apr 28 new
(Quote) Therese-668052 said: I have encountered so many posts asking about the annulment process. This list is what I've ...
(Quote) Therese-668052 said: I have encountered so many posts asking about the annulment process.

This list is what I've received with the questionnaires and couple documents to sign, after I filed for annulment.

The time periods and process are as follows:

Petition: Initial Letter Sent to Respondent- 30 days to respond.

Setting Grounds: 15 days before date for setting Grounds of the Case (Joinder of Issues)

Notification of Grounds: 10 days for both Parties to appeal Grounds.

Publication of Acts: 15 days for both Parties to come to the Tribunal Office to review what

testimony is in Acts, if either party desires.

Advocate: 30 days for each Advocate to write Brief.

Defender of Bond: 30 days for Defender of Sacrament of Marriage to write Animadversions.

Judge: 30 days to decide and write Sentence.

Notification of Decision: Both the Petitioner & the Respondent must be Notified of the Decision.

Each has 15 days to lodge and objection to the Decision.

If Decision is affirmative, each Party has 15 days to lodge an Appeal

against it.

If Decision is Negative (not proven), each Party has 15 days to lodge and

Appeal against that Decision.

Send to Appellate Tribunal: If No Appeal is filed. Sentence and Animadversions are sent to the

Appellate Tribunal, 30 days after notification has been sent to the Parties

Appellate Tribunal: 30 days to confirm the Affirmative Decision,

or to ask for the Acts of the Case,

or to remand the Case back to First Instance.

New-marriage is possible: After two Affirmative Decisions even if appealed to the Holy See

TKC

Therese
--hide--

The Altoona-Johnstown Diocese adds a year after your divorce before you can even start the process as a cooling off period.
Apr 28 new
(Quote) Claudia-960515 said: The Altoona-Johnstown Diocese adds a year after your divorce before you can even start the process as a ...
(Quote) Claudia-960515 said:

The Altoona-Johnstown Diocese adds a year after your divorce before you can even start the process as a cooling off period.
--hide--

Yes, our's does too and so does the Wichita diocese. Depending on the separation/pre-divorce period however, our dioceses can choose to waive it.
Posts 21 - 30 of 65