Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

"The controversial moment SWAT teams ordered innocent neighbors out of their houses at GUNPOINT during door-to-door searches for the Boston bomber"

"Officials used Dumitru Ciuc's home as a staging area, taking out the windows and ripping down curtains and window blinds to monitor the boat."

"'They didn't say nothing,' about why they were there."

"'They just said leave the house and go up the street.'"

"While the circumstances clearly led many to be sympathetic to the needs of the police, now that the manhunt is over, critics are fearful of the consequences of such cooperation in the future."

"The specific concerns stems from the rejection of the Fourth Amendment, which protects citizens from unreasonable searches and seizures."

Video at bottom of page. www.dailymail.co.uk
Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: "The controversial moment SWAT teams order...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

"The controversial moment SWAT teams ordered innocent neighbors out of their houses at GUNPOINT during door-to-door searches for the Boston bomber"

"Officials used Dumitru Ciuc's home as a staging area, taking out the windows and ripping down curtains and window blinds to monitor the boat."

"While the circumstances clearly led many to be sympathetic to the needs of the police, now that the manhunt is over, critics are fearful of the consequences of such cooperation in the future."

"The specific concerns stems from the rejection of the Fourth Amendment, which protects citizens from unreasonable searches and seizures."

--hide--
Some initial random thoughts ----

A key word re: the 4th Amendment is "unreasonable". It can easily be argued that law enforcement actions were reasonable, considering the circumstances.

Sometimes we all encounter situations that demand immediate action, and don't allow for time to "make nice". The results certainly indicate this was true in this situation. The terrorism suspect was nearby and immediate action was needed to capture him. Should the residents have been allowed to stay at home while police were setting up their command post? They could have easily been in harm's way. The suspect was known to have been heavily armed. By that time, who knows what weaponry he had?

The people were rushed out of their home. No doubt that "evicted" family members were frightened, but it is hard to believe they had no idea what was transpiring. It was on virtually every media since the onset in Boston. It's hard to believe they were so naive so as to have no idea of the nature of the police visit. Time was of the essence, and every moment counted. It was no time for a discussion about current events. In the end, the family was safe, and the suspect was captured without his harming any civilians in the neighborhood.

Consider high adrenalin levels, the critical moment, pressure and other factors, and people will understand why law enforcement acted as they did. The Monday morning quarterbacking will continue. Indeed, the law agencies themselves will review their handling of the crisis in an effort to spot errors on their part, and what they could have done better.

Police had to act; there was no time for a round-table discussion with white gloves, tea and crumpets about how to handle this in a genteel manner. They had a job to do and were focused upon it (capturing the suspect) without any physical harm coming to anyone else.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: "The controversial moment SWAT teams order...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

--hide--

You know, Bernie, I am sick of people from other countries criticizing our country. This was a dangerous and specific incident
and how it was handled is easy to criticize from hindsight.

This man was a terrorist and committed treason against this country. The Boston police had also uncovered another situation
happening in Boston at the same time. They found a pipe bomb in another part of Boston. Since the full extent of the threat
was not known, one should erron the side of caution when considering the lives of Bostons citizens.

Why would you even question this, or are you letting some UK person influence you.

I know I watched the World Trade Center Burn from the shores of the Hudson River near my home,and the World Trade
Center was some 30 miles from my home. The fear I had in me was one I never felt before. I did not know what to do to
feel safe. I just wanted to curl up with my dog to feel secure, and I worried about where the next plane would hit.

I know I would have been scared to death if I were the one being pulled from my home. At the same time, I would have
been even more scared to death if I thought this terrorist could be knocking on my door any minute or be out killing
my family while he was running from the law.

This man committed treason. He was not an enemy combatant or had just committed a crime. He took up arms and
ordinance against our country. This should not be taken lightly. We should be more war minded in this country--because
that is what we are in. A war.

So lets put this in perspective, and give our policemen and military the credit they deservie. They could have been shot or
killled at any time they were doing the searches. They feared for their own lives as well as taking care of the rest of us.

Bravo to those brave men and women we call Americans.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Some initial random thoughts ---- A key word re: the 4th Amendment is "unreasonable&quo...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Some initial random thoughts ----

A key word re: the 4th Amendment is "unreasonable". It can easily be argued that law enforcement actions were reasonable, considering the circumstances.

Sometimes we all encounter situations that demand immediate action, and don't allow for time to "make nice". The results certainly indicate this was true in this situation. The terrorism suspect was nearby and immediate action was needed to capture him. Should the residents have been allowed to stay at home while police were setting up their command post? They could have easily been in harm's way. The suspect was known to have been heavily armed. By that time, who knows what weaponry he had?

The people were rushed out of their home. No doubt that "evicted" family members were frightened, but it is hard to believe they had no idea what was transpiring. It was on virtually every media since the onset in Boston. It's hard to believe they were so naive so as to have no idea of the nature of the police visit. Time was of the essence, and every moment counted. It was no time for a discussion about current events. In the end, the family was safe, and the suspect was captured without his harming any civilians in the neighborhood.

Consider high adrenalin levels, the critical moment, pressure and other factors, and people will understand why law enforcement acted as they did. The Monday morning quarterbacking will continue. Indeed, the law agencies themselves will review their handling of the crisis in an effort to spot errors on their part, and what they could have done better.

Police had to act; there was no time for a round-table discussion with white gloves, tea and crumpets about how to handle this in a genteel manner. They had a job to do and were focused upon it (capturing the suspect) without any physical harm coming to anyone else.

--hide--

This situation reminds me of several conversations I have had with my children over the years of their growing up. There is a time and a place to argue an instruction and there is a time and a place to immediately comply. If I tell you to get out of the street now get out now do not stand there and say but mom. Where safety is concerned the immediacy of compliance is of the utmost urgency. This was the case in the Boston hunt, no one had any idea what the kid had available to him, keeping the homeowner in the residence could have placed them in harms way on a number of levels and would have caused distractions for the SWAT team. Being ordered out at gunpoint, the SWAT team was armed and prepared because they didn't know what they were going to encounter, what if the kid hadn't been in the boat but actually in the house trying to blend with the family and the SWAT team was unarmed and unprepared but the kid was not? Someone would be criticizing the police for not being on their guard. I would have instantly complied and gladly given up my house for the situation. It would be nice if the SWAT team makes sure everything gets put back in order, but even then I would comply without question or being disgruntled by it.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: This situation reminds me of several conversations I have had with my children over the...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

This situation reminds me of several conversations I have had with my children over the years of their growing up. There is a time and a place to argue an instruction and there is a time and a place to immediately comply. If I tell you to get out of the street now get out now do not stand there and say but mom. Where safety is concerned the immediacy of compliance is of the utmost urgency. This was the case in the Boston hunt, no one had any idea what the kid had available to him, keeping the homeowner in the residence could have placed them in harms way on a number of levels and would have caused distractions for the SWAT team. Being ordered out at gunpoint, the SWAT team was armed and prepared because they didn't know what they were going to encounter, what if the kid hadn't been in the boat but actually in the house trying to blend with the family and the SWAT team was unarmed and unprepared but the kid was not? Someone would be criticizing the police for not being on their guard. I would have instantly complied and gladly given up my house for the situation. It would be nice if the SWAT team makes sure everything gets put back in order, but even then I would comply without question or being disgruntled by it.

--hide--
You had the same idea in mind, Lauren. Sometimes there's just no time to say, "Let's have a little chat about what you're doing...." If there is imminent danger, you yell, scream, grab -- in short, you do what you gotta do to prevent harm to another. Sometimes circumstances just don't allow for that luxury -- you just act because you must.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: You know, Bernie, I am sick of people from other countries criticizing our country. Th...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

You know, Bernie, I am sick of people from other countries criticizing our country. This was a dangerous and specific incident
and how it was handled is easy to criticize from hindsight.

This man was a terrorist and committed treason against this country. The Boston police had also uncovered another situation
happening in Boston at the same time. They found a pipe bomb in another part of Boston. Since the full extent of the threat
was not known, one should erron the side of caution when considering the lives of Bostons citizens.

Why would you even question this, or are you letting some UK person influence you.

I know I watched the World Trade Center Burn from the shores of the Hudson River near my home,and the World Trade
Center was some 30 miles from my home. The fear I had in me was one I never felt before. I did not know what to do to
feel safe. I just wanted to curl up with my dog to feel secure, and I worried about where the next plane would hit.

I know I would have been scared to death if I were the one being pulled from my home. At the same time, I would have
been even more scared to death if I thought this terrorist could be knocking on my door any minute or be out killing
my family while he was running from the law.

This man committed treason. He was not an enemy combatant or had just committed a crime. He took up arms and
ordinance against our country. This should not be taken lightly. We should be more war minded in this country--because
that is what we are in. A war.

So lets put this in perspective, and give our policemen and military the credit they deservie. They could have been shot or
killled at any time they were doing the searches. They feared for their own lives as well as taking care of the rest of us.

Bravo to those brave men and women we call Americans.

--hide--
Your comments are greatly appreciated, Marianne. While there are those who will do their armchair analysis, it doesn't change what had to be done.

Your own situation adds considerable credibility to what you have said. You have seen firsthand what terrorist acts can do. None of us have been that close to what you've personally experienced.

Also, in this particular situation, law enforcement officers were either killed or injured during the suspect's desperate attempts to escape. Innocent people were harmed, killed or maimed -- people who did not know the suspect or vice versa. It is apparent that this suspect did not place any value on the lives of the innocents. He wanted this to happen and did so deliberately.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Your comments are greatly appreciated, Marianne. While there are those who will do their armchair a...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Your comments are greatly appreciated, Marianne. While there are those who will do their armchair analysis, it doesn't change what had to be done.

Your own situation adds considerable credibility to what you have said. You have seen firsthand what terrorist acts can do. None of us have been that close to what you've personally experienced.

Also, in this particular situation, law enforcement officers were either killed or injured during the suspect's desperate attempts to escape. Innocent people were harmed, killed or maimed -- people who did not know the suspect or vice versa. It is apparent that this suspect did not place any value on the lives of the innocents. He wanted this to happen and did so deliberately.

--hide--

Thank you so much for your positive comments. Sometimes one feels that to go against PC makes them the boogey man or
something.

I was scared to death on 9/11. And I wasn't even in Manhattan that day trying to escape the city without any means of public
transportation.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

“If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” (James Madison)

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.” (Benjamin Franklin)

“The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” (Edmund Burke)

“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” (Thomas Jefferson, To Archibald Stuart in Philadelphia 1791.)

“The people of every country are the only safe guardians of their own rights, and are the only instruments which can be used for their destruction. And certainly they would never consent to be so used were they not deceived.” (Thomas Jefferson, to John Wyche 1809.)

Apr 23rd 2013 new

“Every collectivist revolution rides in on a Trojan horse of ‘Emergency’. It was a tactic of Lenin, Hitler and Mussolini.” (President Herbert Hoover, The Memoirs of Herbert Hoover, 1952.)

Apr 23rd 2013 new

WHISTLEBLOWER MAGAZINEHOW AMERICA IS BECOMING A POLICE STATEFrom drones to gun raids, under Obama law enforcement is being 'fundamentally transformed'Published: 03/04/2013 at 2:01 PM

Read more at www.wnd.com
Posts 1 - 10 of 61