Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 24 new

(Quote) Peter-793888 said: There are good people out there, while I won't say this is chilary, it was non t...
(Quote) Peter-793888 said:

There are good people out there, while I won't say this is chilary, it was non the less greatly appreciated. I was sitting in a restraunt alone enjoying my Good Friday fish & chips, and when the waitress came by I asked for a refil on the drink and the cheque. The waitress proceeded to inform me that a refil was on its way, but the cheuque had already been covered by another patron, thankfully she gave me his first name. I'm guessing he came in for take-out and payed for my order at the take-out counter, beacuse I didn't see him sitting in the dining room, and he had left by the time I was told that it had been taken care of. I saw the guy on Easter Sunday who I thought was "guilty" and thanked him, and sure enough I was right!

Personally I think it's polite to hold the door for others, and while I prefer to hold the door for a lady do not get offended if she holds a door open for me (assuming she gets there first and it's conveniant). That said I have had women tell me that it's rude & disrespectful to hold doors open for a lady because it demonstrates that I don't think they have the strength to do it themselves, or am instilling the sterotypical behavior that women should be barefoot, pregnanat and in the kitchen! So I've just ignored those women because I'm not doing it for any of those reasons, I'm doing it because its the polite thing to do, and I was at the door first! Thankfully most women just say thank you.

--hide--
That was so nice of him Peter. As far as the last part of your post....I have seen a few unappreciative...but for the most part...more are pleased with us doing so for them. I ALWAYS try to make eye contact and smile to them. Because sometimes they will say thank you...and that is when I say "You're welcome....have a good day" There is a restaurant here in Dallas where many officers dine. (they know all the good places!) I saw a table of 4 eating and asked my waitress to bring me their check. I paid and never looked over. But I did hear one of them say "Miss, could we have our check please?" (because they were finishing up when I got there) She mumbled something about "The gentleman over there...." (and that's all I could hear) When they were getting up one came over....and said, "We thank you sir very much...but er, why?" This as the others were looking on..smiling and nodding. I said, "Cause some people APPRECIATE the job yall (there's that Texas word!) do" "Well, thanks again" he said.

Apr 24 new
I like this thread Jerry.

I was at church with Adam and Neill this Sunday. Neill was not having a good day (for those of you who may not know me, Neill is my handicapped son). I said to Adam it was time to go and could you help me get Neill out to the car. He said "I can't". I looked at him and he was almost paralyzed sitting there and I could not understand it. I went to step past Adam and trying to move Neill with me when a man from across the aisle said very quietly "Eileen, can I help you?" He took Neill's hand and he walked him out the back and finally Adam could move and followed. He has been my hero ever since and always asks about Neill.

Yes, Jerry, chivalry exists and I am happy to say that it has happened more times than I can count.

Eileen
Apr 24 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: I like this thread Jerry. I was at church with Adam and Neill this Sunday. Neill was not having...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: I like this thread Jerry.

I was at church with Adam and Neill this Sunday. Neill was not having a good day (for those of you who may not know me, Neill is my handicapped son). I said to Adam it was time to go and could you help me get Neill out to the car. He said "I can't". I looked at him and he was almost paralyzed sitting there and I could not understand it. I went to step past Adam and trying to move Neill with me when a man from across the aisle said very quietly "Eileen, can I help you?" He took Neill's hand and he walked him out the back and finally Adam could move and followed. He has been my hero ever since and always asks about Neill.

Yes, Jerry, chivalry exists and I am happy to say that it has happened more times than I can count.

Eileen
--hide--
Nice man~

Apr 24 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: As it relates to the definition of:"Bravery, Courtesy, Honor and Gallantry towards Women&quo...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

As it relates to the definition of:"Bravery, Courtesy, Honor and Gallantry towards Women" I believe it still exists....just maybe not like it was.

Ladies- Can you cite examples you've experienced or witnessed?

Guys: Can you cite INSTANCES....base on YOUR experiences or others?

Okay maybe this will qualify: The other day an elderly lady was walking slowly with a cane towards the door of a convenience store. I was right behind her trying to hurry up. She reached up to get the door and when she did she dropped the cane with the other hand. So I said, "I'll help you maam" I grabbed the cane and gave it to her while getting the door and holding it open. She said, "Oh...thank you young man" (I liked that part!)

--hide--
I don't have a Chivalry, I drive a Ford. open mouth stir the pot! Its getting cold!

Apr 24 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: I don't have a Chivalry, I drive a Ford.
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

I don't have a Chivalry, I drive a Ford.

--hide--
laughing laughing

Apr 25 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: As it relates to the definition of:"Bravery, Courtesy, Honor and Gallantry towards Women&quo...

As it relates to the definition of:"Bravery, Courtesy, Honor and Gallantry towards Women" I believe it still exists....just maybe not like it was.

Ladies- Can you cite examples you've experienced or witnessed?

Guys: Can you cite INSTANCES....base on YOUR experiences or others?

Okay maybe this will qualify: The other day an elderly lady was walking slowly with a cane towards the door of a convenience store. I was right behind her trying to hurry up. She reached up to get the door and when she did she dropped the cane with the other hand. So I said, "I'll help you maam" I grabbed the cane and gave it to her while getting the door and holding it open. She said, "Oh...thank you young man" (I liked that part!)

--hide--

Hi Jerry! I have a much younger male friend (really, just friends!). Whenever we are walking outside, he will always at some point move to the outside of the sidewalk. I love it! It's sweet and gentlemanly; I appreciate it, and I tell him so. In my opinion, chivalry is not dead, although one may have to look for it! Chelle

Apr 25 new

I love this topic for so many reasons. In the last several years several men who have taken me out have opened the car door for me as well as other doors for me. It has been something I look back on and feel blessed by.

Apr 25 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: That was so nice of him Peter. As far as the last part of your post....I have seen a few unapprec...

That was so nice of him Peter. As far as the last part of your post....I have seen a few unappreciative...but for the most part...more are pleased with us doing so for them. I ALWAYS try to make eye contact and smile to them. Because sometimes they will say thank you...and that is when I say "You're welcome....have a good day" There is a restaurant here in Dallas where many officers dine. (they know all the good places!) I saw a table of 4 eating and asked my waitress to bring me their check. I paid and never looked over. But I did hear one of them say "Miss, could we have our check please?" (because they were finishing up when I got there) She mumbled something about "The gentleman over there...." (and that's all I could hear) When they were getting up one came over....and said, "We thank you sir very much...but er, why?" This as the others were looking on..smiling and nodding. I said, "Cause some people APPRECIATE the job yall (there's that Texas word!) do" "Well, thanks again" he said.

--hide--
I went to a Grocery store; And i'am goin down one isle; And a elderly lady about maybe late 70's (give or take) now she is petite (short) and i see her struggling to get some kind of "energy kind" of drink (bottles ) thank God they were plastic i walk down i said to her " can i help ya"? she said i think i got it; well i stood behind her; and she was tryin to put the bottle back on the top shelf; and she almost lost her blance; i quickly caught her i said to her" that shelf is a little akward even for me; she said to me after she said thank you! (to me) she said to me those (darn) energy drinks all look the same to me lol lol i said are they for you? she said heck no! there for my "grand kids" we both had a little chuckle out of it; so then she found the right drinks for her grand kids they were eye level; God love that woman had strength too!! (just couldn't reach the top shelf ) thats it!

Apr 25 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: I'm a diehard believer in good, so I still think it is there! Every now and again, I will be ...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

I'm a diehard believer in good, so I still think it is there! Every now and again, I will be the happy recipient of a door holding or an offer for help from a gentleman...who is usually a blue-coller man 35+. It is all but dead in my age group...though thank God my brothers still act the part! I always make sure to flash a smile and thank them...usually with a "sir" tacked on the end cuz that's how I was raised.

--hide--
Hmmm I believe that chivalry is not dead in your age group wave

Apr 25 new

Not often enough. sorry

Not often enough among men of my generation. irked

Refreshingly, it often seems to be alive and well among men 20-30 years old. OTOH, maybe it's because in their eyes I am the little old lady in Jerry's original story... wide eyed hissyfit

Posts 11 - 20 of 188