Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

www.nypost.com

I was so surprised by this story. It was on the news also. It seems that Jewish shopowners are being sued
in a lawsuit by the City of New York for posting a dress code for patrons of the store. It should be noted that
so far, no one was denied access to the stores.

The sign states:

Dresscode for Store

No shorts

No Bare Feet

No Sleeveless

No Low Cut Neckline

Allowed in this store

The sign is also written in Spanish.

This seems so strange because lots of restaurants in New York have dress codes. Also, as they said in the article,
in pizza stores they have dress codes too.

The City is trying to show that first of all, this discriminates against women only. Which does not seem true.

And the article says that the store is abiding by the orthodox Jewish dress code for all patrons.

I wonder why the City is proceeding with this lawsuit, especially since no one was refused admittance to the store yet.
They may be picking on Jews. But then, the mayor is Jewish.

There are plenty of dresscodes posted on stores, especially in beach towns, like no bathing suits or bare feet allowed
in store.

Hasn't everyone seen signs like these?

Apr 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/editorials/dressing_down_jews_NdWHsRBy97EF15b8wo8SLK<...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

www.nypost.com

I was so surprised by this story. It was on the news also. It seems that Jewish shopowners are being sued
in a lawsuit by the City of New York for posting a dress code for patrons of the store. It should be noted that
so far, no one was denied access to the stores.

The sign states:

Dresscode for Store

No shorts

No Bare Feet

No Sleeveless

No Low Cut Neckline

Allowed in this store

The sign is also written in Spanish.

This seems so strange because lots of restaurants in New York have dress codes. Also, as they said in the article,
in pizza stores they have dress codes too.

The City is trying to show that first of all, this discriminates against women only. Which does not seem true.

And the article says that the store is abiding by the orthodox Jewish dress code for all patrons.

I wonder why the City is proceeding with this lawsuit, especially since no one was refused admittance to the store yet.
They may be picking on Jews. But then, the mayor is Jewish.

There are plenty of dresscodes posted on stores, especially in beach towns, like no bathing suits or bare feet allowed
in store.

Hasn't everyone seen signs like these?

--hide--

Yes, absolutely.

However, now that, in the name of Revolution, we've gotten rid of morality, it's apparently time to make war on civilized standards of any sort.

The last phase of a revolution is destruction.

Apr 27th 2013 new

I'll bet you that Mayor Bloomberg is behind this. It doesn't really matter that he is Jewish.... I believe that he is also anti-religion. This is also part of his "nanny, intrusive government". He believes that he and his government has the right and duty to intrude into the decisions of private persons, private businesses, private groups (like the Boy Scouts) and religious organizations. Bloomberg and his government believe that they are wiser and better-equipped to make decisions for other people.

The two articles below are part of the same thinking... State of Washington & ACLU are trying to force a flower shop, owned by an observant Christian, to arrange and sell flowers for a gay "wedding".

Washington state and the ACLU sue florist for refusing to sell flowers for gay wedding because of Christian beliefs

>>> www.nydailynews.com

Should flower shop be required to serve a gay wedding?

>>> union-bulletin.com

All of these things are of the same over-intrusive, obnoxious, anti-religious, nanny-government thinking: 1) Jewish shopowners being sued for dress code 2) Flower shop being sued to require service for gay "wedding" 3) Limiting size of soft drinks that can be sold 4) Requiring Catholic organizations to pay for birth control and abortions 5) Requiring patrons to ask for salt at a restaurant (instead of leaving it on the table) 6) etc., ect., etc.

What is wrong with those people in NYC that they have not yet grown tired of Bloomberg and booted him out to the curb? Unfortunately, we have this same sort of problem with the California state government.

Ed

Apr 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Yes, absolutely. However, now that, in the name of Revolution, we've gotten ...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Yes, absolutely.

However, now that, in the name of Revolution, we've gotten rid of morality, it's apparently time to make war on civilized standards of any sort.

The last phase of a revolution is destruction.

--hide--

I don't know if you read the article, but the Jews were hasidic Jews, very religious ones. Their shops had been there
probably for a 100 years or more.

It did not seem to me that it just targeted women either. Thanks for your response.

Apr 27th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I'll bet you that Mayor Bloomberg is behind this. It doesn't really matter that he is Jewish....
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I'll bet you that Mayor Bloomberg is behind this. It doesn't really matter that he is Jewish.... I believe that he is also anti-religion. This is also part of his "nanny, intrusive government". He believes that he and his government has the right and duty to intrude into the decisions of private persons, private businesses, private groups (like the Boy Scouts) and religious organizations. Bloomberg and his government believe that they are wiser and better-equipped to make decisions for other people.

The two articles below are part of the same thinking... State of Washington & ACLU are trying to force a flower shop, owned by an observant Christian, to arrange and sell flowers for a gay "wedding".

Washington state and the ACLU sue florist for refusing to sell flowers for gay wedding because of Christian beliefs

>>> www.nydailynews.com

Should flower shop be required to serve a gay wedding?

>>> union-bulletin.com

All of these things are of the same over-intrusive, obnoxious, anti-religious, nanny-government thinking: 1) Jewish shopowners being sued for dress code 2) Flower shop being sued to require service for gay "wedding" 3) Limiting size of soft drinks that can be sold 4) Requiring Catholic organizations to pay for birth control and abortions 5) Requiring patrons to ask for salt at a restaurant (instead of leaving it on the table) 6) etc., ect., etc.

What is wrong with those people in NYC that they have not yet grown tired of Bloomberg and booted him out to the curb? Unfortunately, we have this same sort of problem with the California state government.

Ed

--hide--

Ed, it is worse than New Yorkers getting tired of Bloomberg. Probably you already know, they changed the NY laws
to give him as mayor a third term. Christine Quinn, a gay community officer had a lot to do with changing the
rules to extend his stay in office. Now she is running for Mayor. So, New Yorkers must love him.

NYC has two candidates running for mayor and neither of them are appropriate. One is Christine Quinn, all for gay rights
and liberation, and the other one is the Weiner guy, the one who had to resign from office because he took
pictures of himself and sent them out to his followers. But the pictures weren't of his face. They were a little lower.

I hope they get some new candidates.

You would think the government would try to see to it that the laws on the books were followed, like it is illegal
to give food stamps to illegal aliens. Or it is illegal to give welfare to illegal aliens. Yet, tax payers and New Yorkers
have to foot the bills for all of these give aways, and illegal ones at that.

Apr 27th 2013 new

Marianne,

It seems that NY and CA are in a race to see who can come up with the worst ideas. I think that our CA legislature and governor get some of their wacky ideas from Bloomberg.... or vice-versa.

The very latest in CA (4/26/13)..... Assembly backs proposal to allow non-citizens on California juries

Copied from the article:
"SACRAMENTO -- Legislation approved by the Assembly on Thursday would make California the first state to allow non-citizens to serve on juries as long as they are in the country legally.

The bill’s sponsor, Assemblyman Bob Wieckowski (D-Fremont), has two goals with his proposal -- helping immigrants integrate into American society and ensuring there are enough eligible people to serve on juries.

The Assembly approved the bill (AB 1401) by a vote of 45-26, with Republicans providing most of the no votes. The proposal still needs to go before the state Senate before it can head to Gov. Jerry Brown's desk for his signature or veto."

See URL for full article >>> www.latimes.com

A bit off-topic... I find it interesting that New York state has just started running ads on either CNN or FOX touting how many taxes they have lowered lately. Apparently, they are starting to feel the pinch of people and businesses leaving NY..... while CA just keeps raising every tax and "fee" of which they can conceive. NY is trying to lure people back to their state.

Ed

Apr 27th 2013 new
New York City is an obnoxious place to be, except for some magnificent, old churches that remain and a few good clients that I have to visit once a week or so. Other than that, some day I will make my last visit there and will never miss it.
Apr 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrew-290721 said: New York City is an obnoxious place to be, except for some magnificent, old churches that remain and a ...
(Quote) Andrew-290721 said: New York City is an obnoxious place to be, except for some magnificent, old churches that remain and a few good clients that I have to visit once a week or so. Other than that, some day I will make my last visit there and will never miss it.
--hide--

NYC is definitely not for everyone. It does seem to be a destination though for a lot of tourists.

This little shop in Williamsburg wanted to keep modesty present in our society, but unfortunately, the government decided
his standards had to be criminalized. Yet, other places who post dress codes are not subject to the same scrutiny.

That is plain old unjust.

Apr 28th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Marianne, It seems that NY and CA are in a race to see who can come up with the worst idea...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Marianne,

It seems that NY and CA are in a race to see who can come up with the worst ideas. I think that our CA legislature and governor get some of their wacky ideas from Bloomberg.... or vice-versa.

The very latest in CA (4/26/13)..... Assembly backs proposal to allow non-citizens on California juries

Copied from the article:
"SACRAMENTO -- Legislation approved by the Assembly on Thursday would make California the first state to allow non-citizens to serve on juries as long as they are in the country legally.

The bill’s sponsor, Assemblyman Bob Wieckowski (D-Fremont), has two goals with his proposal -- helping immigrants integrate into American society and ensuring there are enough eligible people to serve on juries.

The Assembly approved the bill (AB 1401) by a vote of 45-26, with Republicans providing most of the no votes. The proposal still needs to go before the state Senate before it can head to Gov. Jerry Brown's desk for his signature or veto."

See URL for full article >>> www.latimes.com

A bit off-topic... I find it interesting that New York state has just started running ads on either CNN or FOX touting how many taxes they have lowered lately. Apparently, they are starting to feel the pinch of people and businesses leaving NY..... while CA just keeps raising every tax and "fee" of which they can conceive. NY is trying to lure people back to their state.

Ed

--hide--

Isn't that an unusual concept of having a non citizen on a jury? Maybe it is done in different parts of the world or was done
in America before. I just don't see the point. Plus, at this point, it is the rights and safety of Americans that I care about.

You have to know, that next they will have those not in the country legally on those juries. How can one tell who is in
the country legally, when many have the same names. They can just switch identities. I don't think citizenship papers
have pictures on them.

In our area, when a contractor has health insurance for some of his workers, and one gets hurt not on the plan, the hurt
worker just uses the name of the insured worker and gets treated. That is what the contractor's themselves told me,
since they hire a lot of illegals from the pick up places when their workload increases.

Our country is being abused from outside as well as inside. It is time we realize that we can loose all that we have without
the proper care and concern.

Yes, NY has lost a lot of businesses, especially to NJ, because of the high business taxes. It is a constant fight.

Apr 30th 2013 new
Several years ago I went to a parish church in the county to the north to attend a TLM. I was surprised that the parish had a sign outside of the chapel stating, "no miniskirts."

I was surprised by this, as the parish is also a tourist site, and between San Diego and Los Angeles. I had to decide whether I was in fact wearing a "miniskirt, and so not eligible to attend. In general, in So. CA, we are quite casual as far as dress code.

When I see people in more casual clothing at mass at my parish, usually it is evident that they are traveling.
Posts 1 - 10 of 23