Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Why is it that,on the homepage, I see an advertisement for United Methodist Church? This has happened before. In contacting the administration, they gave me some lame answer. I will discontinue my membership if heretical sects are allowed to troll for converts on this Catholic dating site.

Timothy

Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Timothy-240636 said: Why is it that,on the homepage, I see an advertisement for United Methodist Church? This has ha...
(Quote) Timothy-240636 said:

Why is it that,on the homepage, I see an advertisement for United Methodist Church? This has happened before. In contacting the administration, they gave me some lame answer. I will discontinue my membership if heretical sects are allowed to troll for converts on this Catholic dating site.

Timothy

--hide--

Your resoluteness for the Faith is admirable. But what about the non- 7/7's on this site? According to St. Thomas Aquinas, they are technically heretics as well, and they are essentially advertising their Modernist heresy by publicly saying that they don't accept or believe the Church on certain dogmatic issues.

What I'm trying to say that a firm Catholic should not be too perturbed when heresy shows itself here. There are many firm, orthodox Catholics here, and when one finds her/himself in a situation when s/he is confronted by heretical beliefs, either in advertisements or on the profiles, solace and strength should be taken in the Faith and move on in the search.

Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Timothy-240636 said: Why is it that,on the homepage, I see an advertisement for United Methodist Church? This has ha...
(Quote) Timothy-240636 said:

Timothy

--hide--

The advertisements are something that CM does not have control over. They are controlled by google or some other source. One can report inappropriate ads through a help ticket.

Apr 29th 2013 new

I know CM admin can speak for themselves, but this topic has been brought up many times. This is from Brian (admin) from the community help forum:

"We use Google Double Click with adsense to serve our ads. We have the strictest filters that google allows. However sometimes ads either get through due to mis-categorization or some other reason beyond our control. When you see an ad that you feel is objectionable simple click on the ad and then copy the URL of the page you land on and send the link via a help ticket. Our customer service staff that submits the base URL to a black list in our google account which prevent any future ads from that domain.

Additionally if you have clicked on a website either intentionally or by accident they likely set a cookie on your browser (all websites use cookies) and now you are receiving re-targeting ads. Clearing your cookies or clearing the specific cookies of certain websites should prevent those ads from being served to you."

So when we send a help ticket, you need to include the copied URL of the page the ad is on.

Apr 29th 2013 new

Ads show up based on what you visit on the internet. Internet search engines collect alot of data about you.

Yesterday I had a general mills lucky charms cereal ad in mine.

But if anyone is not kind to his relatives, and especially toward members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

-timothy

Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-914631 said: Ads show up based on what you visit on the internet. Internet search engines collect alot ...
(Quote) Ray-914631 said:

Ads show up based on what you visit on the internet. Internet search engines collect alot of data about you.

But if anyone is not kind to his relatives, and especially toward members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

-timothy

--hide--
Well, I've never visited scuzzy dating cites in my life, but just because I'm a member of Catholic dating cite, I get scuzzy, disgusting ads....so that isn't necessarily true! I get stuff I should never get based on what I visit...they can pulll out any word, I guess.

Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Well, I've never visited scuzzy dating cites in my life, but just because I'm a member o...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Well, I've never visited scuzzy dating cites in my life, but just because I'm a member of Catholic dating cite, I get scuzzy, disgusting ads....so that isn't necessarily true! I get stuff I should never get based on what I visit...they can pulll out any word, I guess.

--hide--

While the ads may be targeted based on the viewers previous browsing behavior, this is not necessarily the case.

Every ad served up by Google AdWords is characterized by a set of keywords (assigned by the advertiser). One problem is that sometimes the advertisers try to get broader exposure for their ads by assigning overly vague or inappropriate keywords, which results in the ads being displayed on sites that are, at best, marginally related to the ad content.

Apr 29th 2013 new

I too have had it with the weird ads on this site. However, CM admin is not the architect of those, they come from Google ads, which as I understand it, basically tracks where you surf and tries to "customize" the advertising to the viewer. However, Google has no clue whatsoever, and whatever groupings they use are horrible. Their sense of judgment is very poor.

For instance, CM is a Catholic site. Google reads that as you are interested in religion, so it sends you advertising for the Methodist Church. Most people I know don't shop for a religious denomination like they shop for chewing gum. On my home page once there was an ad "apply today to some Bible College and become a Minister". Ummm, I'm Catholic, and we don't have female clergy, we don't have Ministers, we have priests ... etc.

It gets worse. CM is a dating site. So Google reads that as you are interested in dating, so you get ads for all kinds of dating sites that are offensive to practising Catholics.

I'm Canadian, I visit a few Canadian news sites, then login to CM, and the ad on CM tells me to apply today to the Candian Association of Retired Persons (CARP) for great discounts. CARP is the Canadian equivalent of the AARP, and I'm a few years from being able to claim senior citizen discounts. rolling eyes

Not kidding, in the forums there was some thread I was on, and I googled household uses for pantyhose (tying tomato plants, etc) and the next thing I know, there's an ad on my CM homepage for orthopedic nylons (medical use for ladies suffering from varicose veins.)

Some of these you can laugh at, but others are a bit off ... no one I know is offended by an ad for Sears, Tide detergent, Wrigley's gum, or Heinz ketchup. I don't know why mainstream advertisers are not filtered in, and these weird ads are not filtered out.

Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: I too have had it with the weird ads on this site. However, CM admin is not the architect of tho...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

I too have had it with the weird ads on this site. However, CM admin is not the architect of those, they come from Google ads, which as I understand it, basically tracks where you surf and tries to "customize" the advertising to the viewer. However, Google has no clue whatsoever, and whatever groupings they use are horrible. Their sense of judgment is very poor.

For instance, CM is a Catholic site. Google reads that as you are interested in religion, so it sends you advertising for the Methodist Church. Most people I know don't shop for a religious denomination like they shop for chewing gum. On my home page once there was an ad "apply today to some Bible College and become a Minister". Ummm, I'm Catholic, and we don't have female clergy, we don't have Ministers, we have priests ... etc.

It gets worse. CM is a dating site. So Google reads that as you are interested in dating, so you get ads for all kinds of dating sites that are offensive to practising Catholics.

I'm Canadian, I visit a few Canadian news sites, then login to CM, and the ad on CM tells me to apply today to the Candian Association of Retired Persons (CARP) for great discounts. CARP is the Canadian equivalent of the AARP, and I'm a few years from being able to claim senior citizen discounts.

Not kidding, in the forums there was some thread I was on, and I googled household uses for pantyhose (tying tomato plants, etc) and the next thing I know, there's an ad on my CM homepage for orthopedic nylons (medical use for ladies suffering from varicose veins.)

Some of these you can laugh at, but others are a bit off ... no one I know is offended by an ad for Sears, Tide detergent, Wrigley's gum, or Heinz ketchup. I don't know why mainstream advertisers are not filtered in, and these weird ads are not filtered out.

--hide--

Perfect explanation. CM is classified - among other areas that Angela mentioned - as a swinging singles site. Only been here three weeks and have received nothing inappropriate. I can't even remember one ad. There is no absolute control over what gets through. However, CM does receive revenue from those inappropriate advertisers that do get through. Correct?

Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-914631 said: Ads show up based on what you visit on the internet. Internet search engines collect alot ...
(Quote) Ray-914631 said:

-timothy

--hide--
really great quote Ray!

I must say that generally I don't even notice the ads! Guess I'm not a good consumer.

What ($) would it take for CM to be able to NOT have ads (ie if we all kicked in a few more $ a month)? Just askin cool

Posts 1 - 10 of 11