Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Hi everyone! I have a yes on my profile as considering vocation. I have seen very few peple with a yes. I am 50-50 with married life and religious life. Is this a big turn-off in the profile? When you seee this do you move on? I do not want to be deceptive. What are your thoughts? Anything would be appreciated! God bless!
May 04 new

Hi Phillip,

Welcome to the forums!

Honesty is the best policy in this regard. We are all Catholics here, so I wouldn't call considering a vocation to be a turn-off, but it is something that deserves respectful discernment, as a call to the priesthood obviously means a celibate life with no marriage.

My own personal views are that it is probably best to focus one's attention on discernment of one path in life or the other, and not both at the same time, if you are truly not sure which path is for you yet. They are quite different paths to live out the Catholic faith and serve God, and each deserves the time, attention and prayerful discernment necessary. Taking a few of the many steps in the journey of each path before you reach a point where there is no turning back may be helpful if you are truly not sure what path is for you yet. It would still be honest to indicate that a vocation is being considered as you take steps in both paths.

I hope what I am saying makes sense and is helpful. Perhaps others have more specific advice?

May 04 new

(Quote) Phillip-855191 said: Hi everyone! I have a yes on my profile as considering vocation. I have seen very few peple with a yes...
(Quote) Phillip-855191 said: Hi everyone! I have a yes on my profile as considering vocation. I have seen very few peple with a yes. I am 50-50 with married life and religious life. Is this a big turn-off in the profile? When you seee this do you move on? I do not want to be deceptive. What are your thoughts? Anything would be appreciated! God bless!
--hide--

Hello Phillip - not a turn off per se. Mine used to be yes and realized, this is just me, that I don't want to miss out if religious life is for me so I did take myself off this site to not get "distracted". Then I was able to enter into discernment better and it was a great journey. biggrin

May 04 new
Thank You Angela. I appreciate your points. I know both paths are good aand holy, but that bothcant be chosen. I have been tipped both ways . My subscription expires in a month. I think I will be taking some time off and really discerning. Thank you for your encouragement.
May 04 new
Hi Reena. Thanks for responding. I would love to know what kind of action you took. I know it will be different than yours. I have tried silent retreats and adoration, but I am still somewhat puzzled as I csn see myself going either way.
May 04 new
I've seen it happen more than once with family and friends that if they are in a relationship they start wondering if maybe they are called to the religious life. This usually seems to happen at the first sign of disagreement or trouble with the person they are dating. Someone asked their director about this and was told that it's actually pretty common. So I personally wouldn't consider dating someone who wasn't sure about their vocation, especially because I'm getting older and am ready to be married.

If you are not already, you might consider praying daily to God that he will make your vocation known to you and in his time, he will. Also, if you've never read "Religious Vocation, an Unnecessary Mystery" by Richard Butler, I can't recommend it highly enough. God bless you. biggrin Praying
May 04 new

(Quote) Phillip-855191 said: Hi Reena. Thanks for responding. I would love to know what kind of action you took. I know it will be ...
(Quote) Phillip-855191 said: Hi Reena. Thanks for responding. I would love to know what kind of action you took. I know it will be different than yours. I have tried silent retreats and adoration, but I am still somewhat puzzled as I csn see myself going either way.
--hide--
k i

Hello Philip - I highly, and I can't emphasize this enough, I highly recommend to first find a spiritual director if you don't have one already. Contact your local Diocese because I am almost sure they have a Vocations Director. It might a be a little different for men. Do you want to go to the Priesthood or be a consecrated brother? Again these are questions that a spiritual director can assist you with. What gifts do you have that will be best suited in a the charism of a particular order etc. But again, I recommend that you first find a spiritual director - I wll be praying for you Praying Best wishes on your journey - let God surprise you. biggrin Keep doing what you're doing though - especially adoration.

May 04 new

Hello Philip,
Personally I think that if you feel that you might be called to the religious life, then you should pursue it. I have a friend that discerned his call to the priesthood for two years before submitting the application. It's not something to take lightly, and a lot of thought needs to be put into.
He told me about a talk with a spiritual director on whether how to be sure if it's a true calling. The answer he got was that you'll never really know 100 percent, but you don't let that stop you from trying to do something wonderful. I imagine it's the same advice you would receive if getting married. As long as you are honest with yourself and listen for God's directions, you can't go wrong. Not for very long at least. :)
It would be extremely difficult to try and discern your call when in a relationship or searching for a relationship. I think you should focus your time and energy in your relationship with God before you can truly commit to someone else. I also think that if you did find yourself a nice girl and started dating then it could be potentially heartbreaking for her, if you realized you were called to the priesthood.
I'll say a prayer for you tonight, to help you on your journey! God Bless!

May 05 new
Hi Monica. Thanks for the book recommendation. I always need good reading material and parayers. I will definitely look into it.. God bless and take care. I have been praying a rosary and a hail mary for this intention. I promise to include you. Thank you for your thoughts. They mean a lot.
May 05 new
You have such a strong faith. Thank you for the kind words. I am hoping and trying to be patient. Please know that I will be praying for you as well. God bless you Reena. Take care.
Posts 1 - 10 of 13