Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

I go to a "Catholic" university, but they allow a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) group to form and be promoted on campus. I want to go the group to talk to them about the Church's teaching, but I want to do it in a non-aggrissive, tactful manner yet still not water it down. Any suggestions of how I might approach this?

May 3rd 2013 new

Why do you want to do this?

May 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Andy-896770 said: I go to a "Catholic" university, but they allow a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) group to f...
(Quote) Andy-896770 said:

I go to a "Catholic" university, but they allow a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) group to form and be promoted on campus. I want to go the group to talk to them about the Church's teaching, but I want to do it in a non-aggrissive, tactful manner yet still not water it down. Any suggestions of how I might approach this?

--hide--

What is the purpose of this group, Andy? If I may recommend, find out why the group exist, check it out first before you say something, you know? Since you're in a Catholic U, does the group exist to encourage members to live out our Christian virtues? To uphold the teachings of the Church especially on the dignity of a person , chastity, family and all her social teachings?

I encourage you to read the Catechism under Part 3/Life in Christ/10 Commandents/ Second Commandment .

Chastity and homosexuality

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

So here is my understanding - The Church sees that the inclination to homosexuality is not on itself a sin. It is disordered but not a sin. It is only when people act out on it , is when it's a sin.The same is said to heterosexual people - if we act out on our attraction in a way that is contrary to our vocation to chastity , then it is a sin.

It is interesting that in the catechism , once you read this section , they have a list called Offenses to Chastity - and homosexuality is not in the list.

May 4th 2013 new

Why do you ask why?

I guess because it is my duty as a Catholic to inform the ignorant on important issues and why it's important to follow the Church's teachings. I mean the way I look at things the real issue many Catholics have is agreeing with the Church. I say it's best just to have faith in the Chuch and accept everything she says and if something comes up where I didn't know there was a teaching I would right away just accept it. I mean people can't just disagree with the Church. It's not a democracy or republic. It is a heirarchy and will always be one and will always remain rooted in firm dogmatic teaching.

May 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Reena-961146 said: What is the purpose of this group, Andy? If I may recommend, find out why the group ...
(Quote) Reena-961146 said:

What is the purpose of this group, Andy? If I may recommend, find out why the group exist, check it out first before you say something, you know? Since you're in a Catholic U, does the group exist to encourage members to live out our Christian virtues? To uphold the teachings of the Church especially on the dignity of a person , chastity, family and all her social teachings?

I encourage you to read the Catechism under Part 3/Life in Christ/10 Commandents/ Second Commandment .

Chastity and homosexuality

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

So here is my understanding - The Church sees that the inclination to homosexuality is not on itself a sin. It is disordered but not a sin. It is only when people act out on it , is when it's a sin.The same is said to heterosexual people - if we act out on our attraction in a way that is contrary to our vocation to chastity , then it is a sin.

It is interesting that in the catechism , once you read this section , they have a list called Offenses to Chastity - and homosexuality is not in the list.

--hide--

Yes Reena, this is exactly what I would tell them. What I meant was to talk about that the acts are sinful but not orientation itself. This group does encourage Christian values but exists as a social justice/gay rights activist group and promoting the idea of gay marriage being legal. They are passing out T-shirts saying "Gay? Fine by me" on them. Keep in mind, this is a Catholic University we're talking about :)

May 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Andy-896770 said: Yes Reena, this is exactly what I would tell them. What I meant was to talk about tha...

Yes Reena, this is exactly what I would tell them. What I meant was to talk about that the acts are sinful but not orientation itself. This group does encourage Christian values but exists as a social justice/gay rights activist group and promoting the idea of gay marriage being legal. They are passing out T-shirts saying "Gay? Fine by me" on them. Keep in mind, this is a Catholic University we're talking about :)

--hide--
Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, transsexual, asexual or whatever-sexual, we are all called to chastity. This calling to chastity isn't in any respect different than that of a priest or a nun. The only ones not called to chastity is a married couple. What we need to do is to help each other remain chaste instead of encourage unchaste behaviour. Therefore your initiative is worthy of all support you can get. Be your brothers keeper. thumbsup

May 4th 2013 new
I have to take exception with your "the only ones not called to chastity is a married couple." The primary definition of chastity is "purity in thought and action." A married couple most definitely is called to be so, just as we all are, maybe even especially so, since marriage is to be the mirroring of God's love for and relationship with the Church, His bride. A husband and wife can commit sexual sin with each other, when they act in lust rather than holy love.
May 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Andy-896770 said: I go to a "Catholic" university, but they allow a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) group to f...

--hide--

Well it could be started by saying that when we separate the outcome of an action from its intended purpose we are going off track..(Philosophy)

I am not feeling well so I will keep this short.

In other words When we separated the sexual act or marital act from procreation,(as we did when the pill came onto the scene or when contraception became the norm or widespread..) that is when we went off track. People will boo you I am certain, but that is LOTS ofwhat this about. Then the act is inherently disordered.

I would caution you to do some study if I were you, before going into the lions den and I would not even encourage you to do it. People have to study this. you are very young no offense and it can take a while to gather the facts/philosophical arguments to stand up to such a debate/argument.

May 4th 2013 new

Great post Reena.

I would also ask you( the OP) to do some research. I recommended a book by Moir and Jessel in another thread. I think if people want to speak on this you had better become well informed. If it is just an alliance -a GAY Straight Alliance--then yes What is the purpose of the group?

Is it to form a bond and have support?

Is it really the place to bring up why it is "wrong?" or what? Why not get to know them better first?

This would be pretty hard going to convince people who swing this way because

I believe much of it is biological. A person has to see it with their mind first and the Holy Spirit too as well as perhaps be convinced emotionally or intuitively but you might have no effect- However

One gathers more bees with honey than vinegar.

May 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Andy-896770 said: Yes Reena, this is exactly what I would tell them. What I meant was to talk about tha...

--hide--

I would recommend to go to their meetings just to find out what they really are all about...

Interesting. The group can't say that they promote Christian values but promotes the legalization of gay marriage. I am by no means an expert on how to articulate but there needs to be a distinction made between social justice, rights of a person and the marriage between two people of the same sex.

On the one hand, gay or straight - fine by me too . As what other people mentioned in here, it is when we act out of our attraction contrary to chastity is when it becomes sin.

If you want to discuss (with love and reverence of course, in the words of St. Peter) the Church's position on Gay Marriage with them , I would recommend that you read this article to start off with, by Bishop Cordileone of SF. The marriage between a man and woman is on itself a social justice, that the government has the interest to protect because families are the basic unit of society. Sadly though, in the words of St. Paul to the Romans, many are conformed to the world and not the renewal of the mind...

Anyway, here's a link to that article :

www.usatoday.com

Ruth Institute has great articles about this also

www.ruthinstitute.org

Posts 1 - 10 of 71