Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: You must sign in before expressing interest in this event.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

When did Catholics start putting their hands together in prayer and why? The Jews wrapped theit arms around thei stomach?

May 05 new

(Quote) Karen-968923 said: When did Catholics start putting their g ands together in prayer and why? The Jews wrapped theit arms ar...
(Quote) Karen-968923 said: When did Catholics start putting their g ands together in prayer and why? The Jews wrapped theit arms around thei stomach?
--hide--
Placing our hands together in prayer is not unique to Christianity. I found the following:

www.stjosephsite.com

May 05 new

(Quote) Karen-968923 said: When did Catholics start putting their hands together in prayer and why? The Jews wrapped theit a...
(Quote) Karen-968923 said:

When did Catholics start putting their hands together in prayer and why? The Jews wrapped theit arms around thei stomach?

--hide--

Dear Karen, many people even non Christians do it.

But I feel that when I put my two hands together in prayer, one hand is mine and the other is God's (Lord's, Holy Mary's...) hand, I grab their hands and the feeling you get when you hold someone's hand; I feel so safe when I grab my other hand in prayer.

I think people did it by themselves because they felt safe like holding someone's hand and I think wrapping arms around stomach is also a mimic of huging and feeling safe in God's arms.

May 05 new

(Quote) Karen-968923 said: When did Catholics start putting their hands together in prayer and why? The Jews wrapped theit a...
(Quote) Karen-968923 said:

--hide--

It's a natural human stance for pleading I think. Probably some anthropological background of showing both hands as being free of weapons/helpless/tied together.

May 05 new

Praying I believe that prayer hands clasped together as if pleading to God. theheart

May 05 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Placing our hands together in prayer is not unique to Christianity. I found the following:
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Placing our hands together in prayer is not unique to Christianity. I found the following:

www.stjosephsite.com

--hide--
Peter, thank you for listing the St. Joseph website. I found the information about the Jewish precedent to folding hands very interesting, also the practices of Eastern religions.

My right arm is disabled due to a car accident. Something very neat happens to me when people hold that hand as we pray the Lord's Prayer in church. My hand (which is usually cold due to lack of blood flow) becomes warm and my spirit is energized too. The Holy Spirit is traveling between us! The power of touch can be holy.

May 06 new

(Quote) Margo-404841 said: (Quote) Peter-449116 said: Placing our hands together in prayer is not uni...
(Quote) Margo-404841 said:

Quote:
Peter-449116 said:

www.stjosephsite.com

Peter, thank you for listing the St. Joseph website. I found the information about the Jewish precedent to folding hands very interesting, also the practices of Eastern religions.

My right arm is disabled due to a car accident. Something very neat happens to me when people hold that hand as we pray the Lord's Prayer in church. My hand (which is usually cold due to lack of blood flow) becomes warm and my spirit is energized too. The Holy Spirit is traveling between us! The power of touch can be holy.

--hide--

clap Praying

May 22 new
Thank you for sharing the website, it was very informative

Posts 1 - 8 of 8