Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

May 5th 2013 new

Its unlikely they'll recieve well a chat on chastity, so how about speaking about why marriage is so important for kids.

Every child has a mother and father. It doesn't matter how they were concieved, in a Friday night orgy, in a devoute marriage bed, in a petri dish at the IVF clinic. So, by their inherent nature, a child has a right to know their mother and their father. The best environment for a child is with their mother and father, watching and learning how the genders are different and how those differences interact with each other. Their relationship with their opposit gendered parent will determine their relationships with the opposite gender as they grow. Straight or gay, these relationship dynamics and gender role modelling are absolutely vital. To deny this is to deny reality. Its to deny nature. If homosexuals want to claim that their disorder is somehow natural, then they cannot denounce the nature of the child.

The only people who can replace a child's mother and father, is an adoptive mother and father. To allow redefinning marriage to accomodate same sex couples and allowing gay adoptions will then deny the child that right to both their mother and father. Living with butch Mum and feminine mummy is not enough. Living with butch mum and feminine mummy with "sperm donor" daddy the state over, or even as a relative [brother of one of the mums] is not acceptable.

Marriage is about protecting the right of the child to know mother and father in a family unit. Redefining marriage to accomodate same sex couples attempts to change marriage from an insitutition which protects chidlren to one that makes it adult-centric. Marriage is not about what the adult wants, its not about adult desires and wants and some process to seek fulfilment, its about providing a stable environment for child to know mother and father.

This does not deminish the marriages of individuals where children have not eventuated. All children have a mother and a father, but not all married couples have children.

Instead of redefinning marriage to accomodate same sex couples, thus watering down what society views as marriage is not helpful. What is needed is building up the current marriages and supporting those in relationships where one or both parents are afflicted with alcohol and drug issues, or abuse and domestic violence.

A redefinition of marriage to accomodate same sex couples will impact on children, on what theyr'e taught in school, they will see it as just another option, and be denined their natural rights to be protected by law and to know parents. It will impact on what Christians who seek to teach their children about God's plan. They will be conflicted, seeing society, their teachers, the media hammering them with that Jane and Jessicas "marriage" are equal to John and Sallys.

All human societies have recognised that a child does best with mum and dad in a stable relationship. Marriage has never been about the desires of the parents, while that's certainly benefiical that they gain satisficiation and fulfilment from it, marriage has not traditionally been about them. Its been about providing a stable home for kids - society has a vested interest in ensuring marriage is one man one woman. Children are raised to be good, well rounded adults, able to relate to both genders on a level that society constantly ignores. heck, in a lot of places and times, marriage wasn't even about adults choosing their spouse for themselves.

The homosexual lobby have bigger issues than the redefinintion of marriage. They have huge rates of domestic violence, huge rates of promsicuity, lower life expectancities, higher rates of cancers, particularly cervical and anal/rectal. Also drug use, alochol addiction are also wide spread problems. Plus, wer'e always reminded, alledegely higher rates of suciide amongst teens.

They shoudl be focussing their money and power elsewhere.

You need to use facts, and then bring them all back to the teaching of the Church. If you go in there going on about Jesus and the Catholic CHurch's teaching, you're going to be booed out of there.... if they're in a generous mood.

May 5th 2013 new

Dove Hi Andy, I have been reading your posts and the other CMers post to you. I admire your spunk. Still, the question that keeps coming back to my mind is, "What would Jesus do?". I don't mean that lightly. Prayer and discernment. Gather all the knowledge you can because you will be met with defiance, whether you mean to or not. Knowledge is power, however, I think you will need the Compassion of Christ more than anything else. Jesus sought out the undesirables. Not that I think these students are, yet, the lifestyle they want is not an easy one and they have been fighting for their Rights, as they see them, for awhile. God Bless you and remember; we are all created by God in His Image. Good Luck. crossfingers

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Andy-896770 said: Yes Reena, this is exactly what I would tell them. What I meant was to talk about tha...
(Quote) Andy-896770 said:

Yes Reena, this is exactly what I would tell them. What I meant was to talk about that the acts are sinful but not orientation itself. This group does encourage Christian values but exists as a social justice/gay rights activist group and promoting the idea of gay marriage being legal. They are passing out T-shirts saying "Gay? Fine by me" on them. Keep in mind, this is a Catholic University we're talking about :)

--hide--
Andy, I too wonder why they would be permitted to form a group on a Catholic university, but I also ask why you would wish to confront them? What do you hope to accomplish? I don't like the in your face t-shirts either, and I don't like that they want their lifestyle celebrated, but whether we like it or not they are among us. It is not a choice for them, if it was you or I could wake up tomorrow morning and say, you know I'm bored, I think I'll try being homosexual from now on. Doesn't work that way. Confronting them would be an exercise in frustration, accomplish nothing, and could even get you in trouble with the political correctness mafia. Pray for them, but ignore them.

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, transsexual, asexual or whatever-sexual, we are all ...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, transsexual, asexual or whatever-sexual, we are all called to chastity. This calling to chastity isn't in any respect different than that of a priest or a nun. The only ones not called to chastity is a married couple. What we need to do is to help each other remain chaste instead of encourage unchaste behaviour. Therefore your initiative is worthy of all support you can get. Be your brothers keeper.

--hide--

Peter, I'm not trying to follow you around with corrections, but all humans are called to chastity, regardless of sexual desire or marital status. Chastity is the virtue by which a man chastizes his bodily members to act within accord to reason and choice of will. Chastity is usually applied when one is speaking of the specific work of opposing concupiscence (or the inclination to sin) which comes from venereal pleasures.

I believe this very issue is discussed in the contemporary encyclical letter Casti Connubii (literally "chaste wedlock").

Not everyone is called to perfect continence, e.g., those who are married. Perfect continence is demanded of all of us who are unmarried; it is the virtue by which we with-hold the expression which is proper to the natural sexual desires in human beings. An imperfect continence is demanded of those who are married in that the spouses are not to give any expression of the marital embrace to anyone other than the spouse, i.e., it can be expressed only within chaste wedlock.

May 5th 2013 new
(Quote) Andy-896770 said: Why do you ask why? I guess because it is my duty as a Catholic to inform the ignorant on imp...

Why do you ask why?

I guess because it is my duty as a Catholic to inform the ignorant on important issues and why it's important to follow the Church's teachings. I mean the way I look at things the real issue many Catholics have is agreeing with the Church. I say it's best just to have faith in the Chuch and accept everything she says and if something comes up where I didn't know there was a teaching I would right away just accept it. I mean people can't just disagree with the Church. It's not a democracy or republic. It is a heirarchy and will always be one and will always remain rooted in firm dogmatic teaching.

--hide--

Groups like that don't care Andy. Nothing will dissuade them from their view that you are a bigot. Not even being nice to them. Christians make a big mistake thinking being nice will make a difference with them.

Their whole goal is to marginalize us and to deprive us of our religious freedom and our conscience rights. I tried the nice route for years in my 20s. It doesn't work.
May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Andy-896770 said: I go to a "Catholic" university, but they allow a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) group to f...

I go to a "Catholic" university, but they allow a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) group to form and be promoted on campus. I want to go the group to talk to them about the Church's teaching, but I want to do it in a non-aggrissive, tactful manner yet still not water it down. Any suggestions of how I might approach this?

--hide--
Think about it...they have all the universities in the world and they "target" a Catholic university....no doubt on purpose did they decide to attend one and try to change it. Have you asked the administrators why they are allowing it? On another thread, someone posted how in CA they are legally trying to force boyscouts to accept gays in their ranks and to lose their tax exempt status if they refuse...that no doubt is the long term goal everywhere. The university probably is afraid too.... not to mention it probably fears ending up in the media for saying "no" to this group. Personally, I'd see no point to sending my Catholic child there if they don't hold to traditional Catholic doctrine....I'd probably bring that up to the admin...these Catholic schools have to start understanding this.

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Groups like that don't care Andy. Nothing will dissuade them from their view that you are a b...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

Groups like that don't care Andy. Nothing will dissuade them from their view that you are a bigot. Not even being nice to them. Christians make a big mistake thinking being nice will make a difference with them.

Their whole goal is to marginalize us and to deprive us of our religious freedom and our conscience rights. I tried the nice route for years in my 20s. It doesn't work.
--hide--

Remember Kirk Cameron from Growing Pains? He is a Christian and said on t.v. that he felt it disordered and believed in traditional marriage, and the attacks against him came right away. His t.v. dad too got on board to disagree with him. I admire him because in that business, it is really hard to stand up for what is right against Hollywood values. His only acting now is in Christian shows too. The gay alliance even said he was "hurting" kids because his (bigoted) views caused prejudice agianst them. Really, promoting the sin as OK is hurting their soul but they don't get this so they won't see it....but either way, he never said one should be mean to someone because of their inclinations just that he believed in traditional marriage and that it was disordered. Now, my point is that what you said about being so nice and sweet makes sense...he said it in a nice way...he was Christian and they attacked. Now, if it was someone just coming out and saying..."hey, men have a....and females have a....and they only work together....only more bluntly perhaps they'd get it. Chrisitans can't do this though. Anyway.....

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Andy-896770 said: I go to a "Catholic" university, but they allow a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) group to f...

I go to a "Catholic" university, but they allow a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) group to form and be promoted on campus. I want to go the group to talk to them about the Church's teaching, but I want to do it in a non-aggrissive, tactful manner yet still not water it down. Any suggestions of how I might approach this?

--hide--

I would to to the Catholic Univ Administration to understand why they allow it and explain to them your views that it is offensive to the majority of the student body there.
Maybe ask them if you could wear a t-shirt that says "homosexuals are not Christian" or "thinking about committing a homosexual act is a sin". The students should have a right to openly express their Christian values the same as the homosexuals have the right to express there un-Christian values.

May 5th 2013 new
(Quote) Ronald-937125 said: I would to to the Catholic Univ Administration to understand why they allow it and explain to them you...
(Quote) Ronald-937125 said:

I would to to the Catholic Univ Administration to understand why they allow it and explain to them your views that it is offensive to the majority of the student body there.
Maybe ask them if you could wear a t-shirt that says "homosexuals are not Christian" or "thinking about committing a homosexual act is a sin". The students should have a right to openly express their Christian values the same as the homosexuals have the right to express there un-Christian values.

--hide--

This is not right to go make a T shirt saying "homosexuals are not Christian".

That being, said we should find out about this Gay Straight Alliance, and what it's business is at a Catholic university. Either to steer both gay and straight people to the Gospel....or to the Wicked One.
May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Andy-896770 said: Why do you ask why? I guess because it is my duty as a Catholic to inform the ignorant ...

Why do you ask why?

I guess because it is my duty as a Catholic to inform the ignorant on important issues and why it's important to follow the Church's teachings. I mean the way I look at things the real issue many Catholics have is agreeing with the Church. I say it's best just to have faith in the Chuch and accept everything she says and if something comes up where I didn't know there was a teaching I would right away just accept it. I mean people can't just disagree with the Church. It's not a democracy or republic. It is a heirarchy and will always be one and will always remain rooted in firm dogmatic teaching.

--hide--
Hi Andy,

I am with you! Why ask why? And not only that... why do you or others who are in love with Jesus care what others think? Jesus is always first!!!!! bottom line.. If jesus were on your campus, I am pretty sure He would address the group, with NO hesitation. Isn't it one of the Corporal Acts of Mercy. To inform the ignorant and uninformed with gentleness and love? Truly, maybe they just don't know that it is WRONG. You are right. Treat them gently and do your homework before you approach. Someone has to stand up for Jesus our Magesterium and our Holy Mother Church. Don't worry. God doesn't always call those who are prepared but He does prepare those He calls. If you feel you need to do this, pray intensley before, and go for it! i am right behind you! Stay strong and keep walking with Our Lord!

Posts 11 - 20 of 71