Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

Over 55 only and bring your burdock pulling implements. I built a new home in the country but let the burdocks take over while we were building. WOW!!!!!!!!

My neighbor across the road is a retired colonel who raises some sheep. His wife gives piano lessons. One of her students is Chinese, and when the mother picked the student up she said to the Colonel, "Oh, you have burdock. I pay $6.95 per pound at the Chinese store in Syracuse."

The colonel responded, "I'm a millionaire."

So, if you come, bring gloves, and work clothes and after we're done, we can talk about Catholic Match and I'll provide the beverages.

Think about it

Frank

May 05 new

Wow. My first thought when I saw "burdock" was...burdock is delicious!
Any idea of dates?

May 05 new

(Quote) Frank-797076 said: Over 55 only and bring your burdock pulling implements. I built a new home in the country but let...
(Quote) Frank-797076 said:

Over 55 only and bring your burdock pulling implements. I built a new home in the country but let the burdocks take over while we were building. WOW!!!!!!!!

My neighbor across the road is a retired colonel who raises some sheep. His wife gives piano lessons. One of her students is Chinese, and when the mother picked the student up she said to the Colonel, "Oh, you have burdock. I pay $6.95 per pound at the Chinese store in Syracuse."

The colonel responded, "I'm a millionaire."

So, if you come, bring gloves, and work clothes and after we're done, we can talk about Catholic Match and I'll provide the beverages.

Think about it

Frank

--hide--
Hi Frank,

In November of 2008, I and another member of CM organized an event in Queens, NY. From that experience, from going to many events and from what I've read about organizing events, I'll mention a few things to consider.

1. Since every mile of travel to an event decreases the number of those who'll attend, I'd first suggest trying to collaborate with another member in a more populated area, preferably the city with the greatest population that is within your distance limit of willingness to travel. It is already difficult to get people to show up for an event in downtown Manhattan. Also women will be wary about venturing into a somewhat backwoods section.

2. Be aware of the chicken-and-egg problem in developing events. You will want to wait for people to show interest before you do anything. Other members will want to see you announce a definite time and place before they show interest. One "solution" is to make sure that you risk little of your resources while possibly taking the risk to announce a place and time after you do some research about the likelihood of success.

3. If you decide to go ahead, announce the event at least a month ahead of time. You should emote or email the announcement to every member active. say, within the last ninety days and within, say, 50 miles of the event. Try to get one or more women to be the sender of the announcement to male members. Also do this well ahead of the event before people have other plans for the same day. Possibly repeat the sending of the announcement closer to the event.

Other members may add additional suggestions.

Congratulations on thinking about being proactive in this regard. clap

John

May 05 new

whats a burdock?!

May 05 new
(Quote) Jacqueline-198 said: whats a burdock?!
(Quote) Jacqueline-198 said:

whats a burdock?!

--hide--

That's what I wondered, I started to look it up, but what do you do with these? Sounds like it is a hot item to own....as being expensive or something rare?
May 06 new

Jacqueline, the burdock is an incredibly tough weed, that would survive with the cockroach after a nuclear holocaust.

The Chinese use it as a "blood cleaner" and I guess, from a previous post that parts are edible.....I have thousands where my lawn shoud be....some get to 4-5-6 feet high. Velcro was invented because the inventor saw how the burdock seed pod stuck to things.

I was only jesting about a meetup, which it appears may have been inappropriate.....just kidding about my burdocks.

Posts 1 - 6 of 6